PDA

View Full Version : Ski pylon needs sprucing

cwright
07-25-2006, 11:34 AM
just bought an 88PS190 with 233 hours. Previous owner had it detailed for the sale and whoever detailed it painted the pylon black. Looks pretty cheesy now, and the rope has already removed the paint as well as a couple of areas on the pylon. I am envious of newer boats with polished pylons and wondering what the trick is for sprucing mine up.

What is this thing made of? Should I take it out, spin it in a lathe and polish it? Buy a new one? Powder coat it? My interior looks near perfect and surprisingly good for an 88, the pylon (in it's current condition) detracts from it. Suggestions and lessons learned would be appreciated.

TMCNo1
07-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Check the "Yellow Pages" for metal finishing/ polishing, remove it and take it to a polishing shop. Most any Motorcycle shop, Street Rod shop has info on someone in your area who polishes S/S, aluminum, etc. The pylon is solid aluminum and will turn out looking great. It can be powder coated but you still run the chance of getting it chipped. Painting is not recommended unless the proper primer and paint is used and can also be chipped. Most any ACE Hardware carries Tarnite, Blue Magic, Mothers, Flitz metal polishes you can use to maintain it if it gets dull.

vogelm1
07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe the previous owner painted it to cover up some scratches and marring that they didn't like? What I'd be tempted to do is remove the plyon from the boat, and try some mild water-based paint remover on it. That hopefully will take most of the old paint off. Then if you discover some imperfections, I'd go to some wet sanding with progressively finer grits of wet/dry sandpaper. Start with the least aggressive you need to get the job done and work up from there. 600g or 800g might be enough, but test on a small inconspicuous area first. With a little experimentation, and turning the pylon in the sheet of sandpaper, you might get it to have a "brushed aluminum" look, real close to OEM pylons. If you really work down to super fine grades of sandpaper, you can then go to a polish and actually get it to shine close to chrome if you prefer. Just some ideas/thoughts to consider....

BrianM
07-25-2006, 12:27 PM
They originally came black powder coated. Mine was chipped bad from a barfoot boom. I just sanded the pylon down on mine with some 120 grit paper on a palm sander. Did it in the boat. then polished it with some Mothers metal polish. Came out with a slightly machined look which is what I wanted. Only took a couple of hours. Here is a picture for you.