PDA

View Full Version : UMP's ATTEMPTS at barefooting

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-24-2006, 10:33 PM
OK, the UMPster tried learning to barefoot yesterday. Well I was introduced to the water at about 38 MPH when I stepped off the ski. I didnt have time to blink and got a high speed eye flush, and as Hoosier Bob indicated from one of his barefoot falls, it felt like my arse cheeks hit me in the back of the head. The ever patient girlfriend was in the boat and captured the moment of pain. here they are!

Here we go, time to step off the ski....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/UMPbarefoot1.jpg

and time to get intimate with the lake

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/UMPbarefoot2.jpg

6ballsisall
07-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Sweet!!! Get back out there and go for it again! :D Chicks dig scars;)

Leroy
07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Only one try? What will your GF think?

07-24-2006, 10:40 PM
5 Tries, 5 failures!

6ballsisall
Only one try? What will your GF think?

She's bummed he wasn't wearing the leather pants :D

Hoosier Bob
Holy bat sheet Batman that is beautiful! I did it longline! Don't let go of the pole! Nothing will happen just hang on. Shoulders back behind your hips, arms STRAIGHT and toes UMP, oh yeah; LOSE THE SKI! You don't need a ski! Just hang off the boom! That looks like a long line DIGGER! You can't quit now that you can bend in ways you never imagined!8p OK, the UMPster tried learning to barefoot yesterday. Well I was introduced to the water at about 38 MPH when I stepped off the ski. I didnt have time to blink and got a high speed eye flush, and as Hoosier Bob indicated from one of his barefoot falls, it felt like my arse cheeks hit me in the back of the head. The ever patient girlfriend was in the boat and captured the moment of pain. here they are!

Here we go, time to step off the ski....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/UMPbarefoot1.jpg

and time to get intimate with the lake

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/UMPbarefoot2.jpg

6ballsisall
07-24-2006, 10:41 PM
5 Tries, 5 failures!

Tisk Tisk UMP.......

It's 5 tries, 5 opportunities to learn from ones errors. ;)

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 10:44 PM
I think his toes were together on the dive and I am giving him an eight! I deducted for the splash!:o

erkoehler
07-24-2006, 10:44 PM
They say that after 10 attempts, you should be able to step off.

07-24-2006, 10:45 PM
I call it like I see it!:D Hey I tried my Arse off! I tried to step off the ski twice, no dice. then I tride to drag and swing up off my hip which was MUCH easier for me, and I darn near made it! I just got he hang of it then I was just exhausted, I just ran out of steam. The other guys did not want me to get hurt, so they told me it was enough for one day.

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Do people actually recommend a ski off the boom? Just drag man! Best advice is to find a footer and listen. A megaphone does not hurt. Footing has been to me as good as my coaching and driving has been. Bad driver and bad coach= asscheeks to head! Good driver and good coach=Footin' addict!:D

MarkP
07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
5 Tries, 5 failures!
LMAO ump!!
Nice shots .

07-24-2006, 10:54 PM
I felt like the "agony of defeat" from the wide world of sports!:rolleyes:

It was a hoot! I will try again. WHen I get back down there to ski with them. Maybe in a few weeks. I was so close by draging off the boom. I just ran out of steam on Try #5.

I still got a sore back. Just got out of the jacuzzi. ALeve is next:)

erkoehler
07-24-2006, 10:55 PM
The driver really does make the difference.

I recommend the tumble up to learn, and then work on the step-off.

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I have the Ben Gay stickum's on now! Agony of Defeat! My buddy was the guy they showed over and over wrecking his bike at the little 500 in Bloomington IN! He hits and flips all over! Sits there holding his collar bone, shattered!:D I felt like the "agony of defeat" from the wide world of sports!:rolleyes:

It was a hoot! I will try again. WHen I get back down there to ski with them. Maybe in a few weeks. I was so close by draging off the boom. I just ran out of steam on Try #5.

I still got a sore back. Just got out of the jacuzzi. ALeve is next:)

Leroy
07-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I don't know much about barefoottin, but start from a kneeboard, not a ski!

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 11:00 PM
that is how I learned! 100' rope and an old strapless kneeboard. After that I could do deeps but remember I was 145 lbs!:D I could bare at 36 easily!I don't know much about barefoottin, but start from a kneeboard, not a ski!

07-24-2006, 11:02 PM
The driver really does make the difference.

I recommend the tumble up to learn, and then work on the step-off.
I did find it easier to tumble up. But I just ran out of steam. It was fun though. I will try again.

erkoehler
07-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Keep your attemts at tumbling up to a minimum during each set. Try maybe 2-3 times, then take a break and go for a ski or let someone else take a turn. Then, come back later and try a few more times. This will help you to last longer and be able to make more attempts.

Leroy
07-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Also in college at ~160 lbs speed 36-38mph no problem to barefoot.

I was taught by the barefoot champion of the US at the time (~1980)

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 11:07 PM
BOBBY SUPERFOOT SKANK?;) Also in college at ~160 lbs speed 36-38mph no problem to barefoot.

I was taught by the barefoot champion of the US at the time (~1980)

Leroy
07-24-2006, 11:08 PM
OK bud, we need to post something to be UMP here.....

tex
07-24-2006, 11:52 PM
5 Tries, 5 failures!
Look at the bright side...you are consistant.

07-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Well I do strive for perfection!8p ;) The good part is I learned what NOT to do. I think the next time out I will get it. Its just like anything else, you have to learn new techniques. NO different than learning to water ski, hang glide, luge, trapeeze, dont matter, its all learning. Bottom line, it was fun and I learned. I just thought the crew here would get a kick out of my pictures, primarily the wipeout!:D

Tennesseeski
07-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Hey at least you are attempting it!!! I have a couple of friends who want me to try, but I hadn't got the nerve up yet.

07-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Hey at least you are attempting it!!! I have a couple of friends who want me to try, but I hadn't got the nerve up yet.
Its a bit intimidating, but once you bite the water hard the first time, you got that out of your system and you can try again. If you have friends that are barefooters, give it a try. I was learning from some very good barefooters and nice people. They were really helpful and good teachers.

jlf
07-25-2006, 09:16 AM
I feel your pain UMP I tried to learn to tumble up last year and I failed, I had some pretty sweet looking bruises to prove I tried (that was with a barefoot suit on). Yesterday Whitedog and his family were in my neck of the woods they offered to take me out on their boat and even give barefoot lessons (I want to learn), I had to pass in the end. My body was telling me a different story.

peason
07-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Great pics UMP - You're on the right track with the tumble up. I have been doing long line step-offs all summer - since I bruised my tailbone doing a deep. And the step-off's are still intimidating - I nail 90% of them and go down quick on the other 10%! From what I can tell in the pic's - you need to squat down more when stepping off - almost into a sitting position. It's always better to go into a three point stance with your rear than to take a header catching a toe! Also try to take your time setting your foot into the water - at those speeds the typical reaction is to slam that foot into the water.
Can't wait to hear you holler, when you nail your first run!

Rockman
07-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Ump,

We'll get you on the boom and make you a good footer at MM2.76. ;)

Patience my friend...how many days til MM2.76? :banana: :banana:

Davo
07-25-2006, 04:32 PM
I think his toes were together on the dive and I am giving him an eight! I deducted for the splash!:o
lol - I'm giving him a nine and his girlfriend a ten for her superb timing!

Keep it up and make sure you get some pics of the victory lap!

bcampbe7
07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
LOL!

You'll get it before too long!

I would also recommend that you hold on to the boom if you do catch your toes. You will not face-plant like that.

07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
LOL!

You'll get it bofore too long!

I would also recommend that you hold on to the boom if you do catch your toes. You will not face-plant like that.
Yea, I kinda caught the hang of that after a while. It was instinct I guess from all those years of skiing. What a rush.

east tx skier
07-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey, YouEmPee, if you take up barefooting, does that mean you won't PM me anymore about the Monza? 8p

Not that I don't thoroughly enjoy the process of your buying a ski. :) And not that I don't love talking about it (I really do).

07-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey, YouEmPee, if you take up barefooting, does that mean you won't PM me anymore about the Monza?

Not that I don't thoroughly enjoy the process of your buying a ski. And not that I don't love talking about it (I really do).
NO problem Douggie!:D My friends and family all enjoy this process equally! ;) the only difference is they are around me often! they have local phone #s are you are long distance, otherwise I would call you more often and REALLY pester you!!!;) You know the funny part? I think I actually get a kick out of myself buying ANYTHING! its such a freakin process! I drive my girlfriend and my parents NUTS! I have heard the phrase "@#*&(*&^ will you buy the *&^* thing already!!!!" more than once!

Dont worry dude, If I take up footin, I will still bug the hell out of you as I wont abandon skiing. and I will bug you about what footin accessories to buy! :D

east tx skier
07-25-2006, 05:50 PM
I will forward those to one of the barefooters. I stick to the skiing. Having to buy more gear would break me.

Ric
07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
You want a deal on a Monza ump?

6ballsisall
07-25-2006, 06:17 PM

Yeah UMP Ric is doing a group buy on them! :D

07-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Oh Hardee har har har!!!8p Like I am gonna fall for that one again! I may have been born at night, but not last night!:rolleyes: :D

...uh...why Ric? you got a deal on them?

07-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Oh yea, BTW Eastie, PM coming at ya!

JohnnyB
07-25-2006, 10:03 PM
UMP, Get your a$$ down to Green Bay. JBFootin and I will teach you how to foot pain and fall free.

Jay, I assumed you'd be in on this...god of footin instruction.....you're committed....my boat, my beer, show up for the clinic bud!!!!

erkoehler
07-25-2006, 10:11 PM
UMP, Get your a$$ down to Green Bay. JBFootin and I will teach you how to foot pain and fall free.

Jay, I assumed you'd be in on this...god of footin instruction.....you're committed....my boat, my beer, show up for the clinic bud!!!!

Can I come????? I'll even bring a boat with GAS :)

Footin
07-25-2006, 10:40 PM
UMP, glad you tried it. We can work on it at MM3.

I am not much of an instructor, but I do like to help newbees.

SKI*MC
07-25-2006, 10:44 PM
the one thing that you should keep in mind when barefooting off the boom is don't let go, if your feet go behind you, oh well, you are still hanging on and your face won't have an intimate date with the water.

07-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Can I come????? I'll even bring a boat with GAS :)
yea, sure you will, and probably some blank credit applications, and some sales contracts too!:rolleyes: We can talk about this Gentlemen, JohhnyB, JBfootin, Footin, Erk, maybe we can work something out. :D YOu guys just wanna trash my lower back again dont you!!!;) and give me a 38 MPH eye flush to boot!

erkoehler
07-25-2006, 11:09 PM
yea, sure you will, and probably some blank credit applications, and some sales contracts too!:rolleyes: We can talk about this Gentlemen, JohhnyB, JBfootin, Footin, Erk, maybe we can work something out. :D YOu guys just wanna trash my lower back again dont you!!!;) and give me a 38 MPH eye flush to boot!

38.....we foot at 45 and no slower :)

6ballsisall
07-25-2006, 11:11 PM

He's a yooper though. They are slower up there so he can foot at slower speeds. :D

Just messing UMP!:cool:

07-26-2006, 08:59 AM
He's a yooper though. They are slower up there so he can foot at slower speeds. :D

Just messing UMP!:cool:
Thats right JR. its the temperatures. Just like Molasses and Maple syrup. It flows slower when its cold, so everything happens slower here cuz its cold.;)

barefoot
07-26-2006, 10:24 AM

Now you're talking! Add a little guy up on top, and you have yourself a b-foot pyramid!

Ric
07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
38.....we foot at 45 and no slower :) I am not sure my boat will do 45 :(

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 10:50 AM
I am not sure my boat will do 45 :(

Wimp..........:D I get 46-47 on mid grade fuel. GPS Speed w/ 2 passengers. Now pulling a footer I don't know about that, guess it depends how hard they dig their heals in.

justinlkgb
07-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Toes UP!!!! Ever try stepping off a kneeboard?

07-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Wimp..........:D I get 46-47 on mid grade fuel. GPS Speed w/ 2 passengers. Now pulling a footer I don't know about that, guess it depends how hard they dig their heals in.
Or in my case how hard I dig my face in. Particularly my eyelids, they are quite a bit of drag. :D

barefoot
07-26-2006, 11:43 AM

Can I come too?

07-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Oh sure, you wanna get in on the laughs too and watch me become the human aqua-pretzel at high speeds.:cool: :cool:

TMCNo1
07-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Being a SuperHero, UMP will have no problem learning to Foot. Jumping off buildings, stopping speeding bullets in his teeth, rescueing damels in distress on burning trains, give him the power to accomplish the task. We're behind ya UMP!

07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
I may be able to jump off tall buildings, but I cant jump off a water ski!:o :D

JohnnyB
07-26-2006, 01:37 PM
JBFootin used to do flying starts off of the local bridges when he show-skied....maybe that's the way to start with UMP, seeing he's a super hero and all....:D

TMCNo1
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I think I see a trend here!

sassydog
07-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Keep your attemts at tumbling up to a minimum during each set. Try maybe 2-3 times, then take a break and go for a ski or let someone else take a turn. Then, come back later and try a few more times. This will help you to last longer and be able to make more attempts.

You kidding me Erk!?!? C'mon, you were there when i first took a shot at the short line. You and Rockman kept switching off driving i tried so many times. A dozen tries........ rest while rock and erk take a quick run......... another dozen tries, go home and take a lot of advil. Next week..... a dozen tries........... quick rest while rock and erk take a quick run......a dozen more tries and success due to the fact that Rock wouldn't let me in the boat until i got on my feet. Thanks rock!

07-26-2006, 04:07 PM
You kidding me Erk!?!? C'mon, you were there when i first took a shot at the short line. You and Rockman kept switching off driving i tried so many times. A dozen tries........ rest while rock and erk take a quick run......... another dozen tries, go home and take a lot of advil. Next week..... a dozen tries........... quick rest while rock and erk take a quick run......a dozen more tries and success due to the fact that Rock wouldn't let me in the boat until i got on my feet. Thanks rock!
Sassydog, its a plot man. They have buku bucks invested in Aleve stock, and they want to beat the he11 out of us barefooting just so we pollute our livers with plenty of Aleve to deal with the pain. ;)

Rockman
07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Sassydog, its a plot man. They have buku bucks invested in Aleve stock, and they want to beat the he11 out of us barefooting just so we pollute our livers with plenty of Aleve to deal with the pain. ;)

Ump...the stock is acutal in Jack Daniels...I can vouch for that! ;)

MasterCrafting
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
JBFootin used to do flying starts off of the local bridges when he show-skied....maybe that's the way to start with UMP, seeing he's a super hero and all....:D

Maybe something like this....not quite a bridge but its the same idea...Boathouse roof start...if i can do it...surely UMP can too!

07-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Maybe something like this....not quite a bridge but its the same idea...Boathouse roof start...if i can do it...surely UMP can too!
Uh, negative Ghostrider!:D