PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Steering Wheel in '83 S&S

Lake Watagua VOL
07-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I removed the sw this weekend to adjust it to the rudder position. Up = straight ... just some anal stuff like that. After removing the center nut, I realized that it did not adjust the steering. Rather, it removed the wheel. I noticed there is an allen nut under the wheel in the column before it goes through the dash. Does this adjust the steering? Or do I need to take apart the console? I am not looking to do that ... rather a quick fix. A prior post mentioned that the wheel should rotate (to adjust) if the center nut is removed. Maybe mine is rusted shut?

Any help .. I'm thankful for!

erkoehler
07-24-2006, 05:50 PM
You could remove the steering cable from the bottom of the dash and adjust it that way.

Make sure that the rudder is STRAIGHT then, remove the steering cable assembly from under the dash. After removing, straighten the wheel then re-install the assembly.

brftski
07-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I just went through the same thing three weeks ago with my 83 SS. I replaced my rudder last summer and when I put it back together, the wheel spokes were pointing sideways. This did not affect steering, just irritating when pulling ski starts because I wasn't always sure I was pointing down stream. It was late in the season so I let it go. The allen nut is really a setscrew that keeps the column from moving in and out of the dash. There is no wheel adjustment there. The easiest fix I found was to put the boat in the water and drive it making note of which way the spokes need to go to align the wheel for the boat to steer straight. This is easier to do in the water, on land without the pull of the boat it is hard to tell when the wheel is truly lined up. I took the 3 bolts (not the big nut) loose and just rotated the wheel around until the middle spoke pointed down. The problem fixed in less then 5 minutes.

“Don’t sweat the petty things and Don’t pet the sweaty things”

JimN
07-26-2006, 11:11 AM
The tiller arm can be adjusted on the rudder shaft, too. More accurate than moving the rudder with the rack loosened. Either way, it'll need fine tuning after taking it out on the water.

Lake Watagua VOL
07-28-2006, 09:57 AM
BRFTSKI .... Thanks. I actually purchase my 83 S&S from a gentleman on Lake Hartwell. Small world, I am in Charlotte and the boat is in the mountians near Boone NC. I took off the 3 screws last weekend and the wheel came off. However, when I turned the steering column to straighten, I could not get the holes to line up to reattach the wheel. I have replaced almost everything on the boat and consider myself pretty good mechanically. However, I must be just missing the obvious here. This has been driving me crazy for the past two weekends. As you said, not a big deal performace w/ performance, just a little thing that bugs me when I drive and pull.

Thanks!

Lake Watagua VOL
07-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Ah ... after re-reading your reply ... I beleive I see the error of my ways. You need to leave the center bolt tight and then turn the wheel. I'll try it next weekend when I am at the lake!

Thanks

brftski
07-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Yea,don't spin the hub just the wheel.