PDA

View Full Version : Torn ACL

vogelm1
07-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, over the 4th of July weekend I joined the ranks of a couple of you folks on here...tore my ACL. Hard part was the ortho dr. was ruling it out on the initial exam (at that point I breathed a sigh), but when the MRI was done he came back to me and said it was blown - not that was a shocker. So what I'm curious to know from those of you that've been through this, if I get it done in the next couple months, will I be back on the water right away next season (June)? I hear horror stories about taking "up to" a year to completely get 100%. I do everything, barefoot, slalom, wakeboard. And when do you expect to get off crutches and moving around again somewhat? Lots of questions I didn't ask the dr. because I was so shocked. Maybe you guys can give me some upbeat news on all this. I'm also a big wuss around needles and blood, so I've got that going against me from the start (I.V.'s, blood tests for pre-op, etc). Any advice on all this??? Thanks -

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
I belive someone here has had a torn ACL. Was that Tex' problem??

roddydog
07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Walkin' normally in 2-3 weeks.

Take about 4-7 or 6-9 months to get back in shape depending.............

Gettin' mine done in Nov.

Listen to your physical therapist and do whatever they say (x2) if you can

All the best.

06PS197
07-24-2006, 07:35 PM
When I tore my ACL, I was on crutches for only 1 week after the surgery, but I was 9-10 months before I was back on the water. The hardest part for me was actually trusting my knee again!
Definitely follow the advise of your physical therapist!!!!

wish ya luck!

wakebroad
07-24-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm 41 and have a partial tear in my ACL (from wakeboarding; it happened about 2 months ago). I was on crutches about a week but every week it gets better and better. I was riding the wakesurf board only 3 weeks after it happened. I was told I probably won't need surgery because it's not a complete tear.

Are they positive that it's a complete tear? I got a second opinion and I was glad I did because he did more tests and seemed to know more.

Hang in there, I know it sucks. :o

vogelm1
07-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks folks. Yeah, it's a complete tear...it didn't even show up on the MRI it was so shredded. I've gotten set up with a good physical therapist to strenghten my leg up prior to surgery, and she will be the one helping after. I'll heed the advice to listen to her x2. She's already given me some great exercises to help get back to walking normally again. If I get the work done in September, that'll give me a good 10 months 'till water is warm enough again next season. I agree that it will be hard to trust the leg at first...I'm sure some leisurely passes will be in order at first. Good news is it's not my dominant leg so maybe that will help some.

jjsosnowski
07-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Get a good knee brace to protect it while rehabing. I got a custom one made prescribed by my doc. Mine is an Alliance. Danny Harf wore this same brace. I have been extremely happy with mine as well as the service I received through this company. Give it a try, here is the website: www.teamalliancemx.com When you get to the website, click on products and check out what they offer. This is by far the best one out there as this is my 3rd one!!! Hope this helps~
Jay

jjsosnowski
07-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Here is a better link for that alliance knee brace. Made by EBI products.
www.ebimedical.com

Datdude
07-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Sorry to hear it is that bad. Good luck in your recovery. Looks like you are the designated driver for the rest of the year. Damn the bad luck

Leroy
07-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Sorry to hear this. If you don't mind can you share what you were doing to tear your acl?

I like keeping a list of what can go wrong.

Thanks!

tex
07-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Sorry to hear that. I tore my acl too. the bad part is that i tore my pcl and mcl too. just listen to the docs and do what they say. Don't try to be a bad mf.

sizzler
07-25-2006, 03:29 AM
strengthening my hamstring before the op. was the best thing i did....they removed part of it to use as a new ACL when i was 25.....the piece of quad muscle they used when i was 21 as an ACL snapped just by stepping off of a ladder......i'm now (cough,cough) 38 so i'm sure the procedures are way better now..........as before,,let your physio guide you........good luck:toast:

barefoot
07-25-2006, 11:25 AM
I tore my ACL playing soccer when I was a senior in high school. I went through the surgery and rehabbed completely in 4 months! It was the fastest my doctor had ever seen someone complete the program. Two months after that, I tore it again playing soccer. It was the first time my doctor had to repeat the surgery and the fastest he had ever seen anyone retare it.

The good news is since the second surgery, I’ve never had a problem with my knee. I still downhill ski, water ski, and leap small buildings in one single leap.

So from a guy who has gone through two surgeries and two rehab programs, here’s my advice to you: straighten your knee as soon as possible. There is an exercise called the straight leg hang where you lay on your stomach on a bed or table with your knee hanging off the edge. It hurts like hell, but it will stretch the tendons in the back of your knee, which will help you gain mobility to do the fun stuff you do now.

vogelm1
07-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Sorry to hear this. If you don't mind can you share what you were doing to tear your acl?

I like keeping a list of what can go wrong.

Thanks!

No problem - I was wakeboarding...doing a basic heelside wake to wake 180. The board landed a little flat and slipped out from under me. Don't remember the rest, but I think the "board dug" in while my body was still moving forward, causing my knee to tweak. I wasn't in excruciating pain either - more like "I'm done for the night". Didn't get swollen. Just couldn't walk on it - felt like my knee joint wanted give out.

vogelm1
07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for keeping the advice coming. It's reassuring to know that even though the rehab will be long, it'll come back to feel like a nornal knee again.

vogelm1
07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Get a good knee brace to protect it while rehabing. I got a custom one made prescribed by my doc. Mine is an Alliance. Danny Harf wore this same brace. I have been extremely happy with mine as well as the service I received through this company. Give it a try, here is the website: www.teamalliancemx.com When you get to the website, click on products and check out what they offer. This is by far the best one out there as this is my 3rd one!!! Hope this helps~
Jay

Thanks guy!! I'll definitely check this out. My guess is I'll be a little "tentative" with the knee the first time out on the water anyway, so the brace will provide confidence.

Maristar210
07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I thought he was going to say he was kite tubing at 40mph 8p

Steve

betsy&david Harrison
08-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, David tore his ACL after about 12 years of fighting a bad knee on our trip to Rollins Lake. He was moving the anchor and it snapped on him. He has a torn meniscus too. MRI today and results on Monday. He has surgery on his mind. He was at work today and came home early because his knee hyperextended when he was coming down the stairs. Looks like I either have a shortened ski season or a permenant driver for awhile.

tex
08-11-2006, 12:07 AM
B-Sorry to hear about David...go with the boat driver!

Leroy
08-11-2006, 12:19 AM
It seems just the wrong move can really mess up the ACL and often the meniscus (but seems to take a real hit to tear the meniscus). My son's play soccer and see these injuries all the time. luckily only younger one has had meniscus tear. Being in shape and proper stretching seem to help avoid this injury, so I'm prime candidate!

betsy&david Harrison
08-11-2006, 11:59 AM
It seems he got hit in the knee playing hoops with his Sunday buds about 12 yrs ago. It has gone out or locked up on him occaisionally since then. I'm taking him up as the boat driver but he won't be out during the Nationals next week until Thursday. Fortunately I have drivers and skiers coming out until then. I plan on being very ski sore before I go back to work on the following Monday. Yikes...teens and their hormones on the first week of school:eek:

vogelm1
08-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Hopefully all will go well for him...the friends of mine I've been polling about ACL surgery say that the knee should feel just as good if not better than original. If David has had problems the past 12 years, maybe this is a blessing in disguise? One friend had similar issues from high school football...his knee finally was injured to the point of surgery and after the doctor went in and cleaned everything up, he wished he'd gone in years before to do it. Best of luck!

flyingskibiker
08-11-2006, 06:10 PM
i hurt my knee the first time while snow skiing. no major event. just caught with my weight back and hear a pop. skied the end of that season. three years later (a year ago), i was playing volleyball and just stepped to my side. heard a pop. kept on playing, but felt weak. stuck it in the keg's ice for awhile. figured i better have it checked before the beginning of the ski season. didn't want to really mess things up if something was wrong.

to my astonishment, the dr. said my ACL was gone! plus, i had some torn cartilage. oh joy! my dr. is pretty well know and regarded. my therapist actually went to him after seeing his work on many of his patience...

it was outpatient, i was on 1 crutch in 1 week, brace only in 1.5, and didn't use either in therapy ever... after about 12 weeks, my therapy ended and i was a go to resume "normal" activity. still aches, but is otherwise ok. both the dr. and my therapist said i recovered very quickly. the dr. really helped because there was little swelling.

and that was a long story short!!! ;-)

betsy&david Harrison
08-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Our Ortho told him that if he only needs orthroscopic then he will be able to walk on it the next day. Otherwise he got a report similar to yours where he will be back in action in about 3 to 4 weeks. Not bad considering the knee surgeries they did years ago and the recoup time they took. B