PDA

View Full Version : Help on 01-190

Robert Averyt
07-24-2006, 09:54 AM
HELP!!

Here is the problem.

I have an 01-190 with some kind of electrical bug. It comes and goes.

Sometimes it decides to idle fast. I turn it off and restart and it idles fine. Sometimes the oil pressure guage works and sometimes it doesn't.
Same with the temp guage and gas guage. The tack does its own thing.
After I turn the engine off the hour meter flashes on and off and makes a really fast clicking noise, the tack needle will go to 3200 and stay there for some period of time.

The problem is that when I get really tired of dealing with it and break out the tools to try to track down the problem it will not act up.

Does anyone have any input?

Jim@BAWS
07-24-2006, 07:13 PM
HELP!!

Here is the problem.

I have an 01-190 with some kind of electrical bug. It comes and goes.

Sometimes it decides to idle fast. I turn it off and restart and it idles fine. Sometimes the oil pressure guage works and sometimes it doesn't.
Same with the temp guage and gas guage. The tack does its own thing.
After I turn the engine off the hour meter flashes on and off and makes a really fast clicking noise, the tack needle will go to 3200 and stay there for some period of time.

The problem is that when I get really tired of dealing with it and break out the tools to try to track down the problem it will not act up.

Does anyone have any input?

1)Sometimes it decides to idle fast. I turn it off and restart and it idles fine. Probably not an electrical problem. Has to do with the tension
on the idle adjustment on the side of the carb. May just need to be lubed
2) You may need one or the other A new guage or sendong unit. The fuel sendin unit is in the tank. You may need to take it out, turn on the key and see if the guage goes up or down.
3)The tack does its own thing.
After I turn the engine off the hour meter flashes on and off and makes a really fast clicking noise, the tack needle will go to 3200 and stay there for some period of time. New Tack needed

It ALL my boil down to a new key swithch assembly. Tough to diagnosis
with out the boat being here

Hope this help a little

Jim

Robert Averyt
07-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Jim,

Thanks for your help.

What an asset you are to this board!

Robert

JimN
07-25-2006, 10:58 AM
The things I would do are:

1. Remove the motor box and do a visual inspection of the motor for corrosion, loose wires, damage and dirt. If it's dirty, clean it off and inspect it again.
2. Clean the battery cable ends and posts. If the terminals are corroded and the cable ends have a white crust on them with some bulging of the jacket, replace them.
3. Inspect, clean and tighten the motor ground point and ground wires, located on the back of the motor near the starter. Wiggle the wires when the key is ON and see if anything acts up.
4.Check the ignition switch for loose screws, broken terminals on the wires, or for flakey contacts when turning the key to ON and wiggling the key. Wiggle the wires here, too.
5. Look at the motor's harness- there's a plug where it connects to the boat harness and if this comes loose, you'll have some weird things going on.

Robert Averyt
07-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the input.