PDA

View Full Version : Deathstar

JohnnyB
07-23-2006, 08:07 PM
DISCLAIMER.....hate the owner, not the boat. I'm sure given the right etiquette and driving abilities, this wouldn't be an issue.

Deathstar.....that's what we've nicknamed the Maristar 23 VRS on our 120acre lake. 10min on the lake and it is trashed for hours....impossible to share the lake with this guy, too. Typical Wally ediquette....everytime he drops/looses a skier he does a power turn and then goes about quarter throttle (off plane and chuggin') and picks them up :mad: including when we're footin' early morning (7am or earlier).

So last night, my nephew and I are headed out just before dusk to do some footin on the glass.....out comes the deathstar.....so, we decide to not even bother....time to light a bonfire and tip a few back instead.

Deathstar takes one of his kids around the lake on a slalom. She dumps near the middle.....power turn...race back....picks her up....powers about 1/4 throttle (barely on plane, down to the end of the lake).

Now the fun starts.....

Someone on the boat decides they're going to try to foot.....starts in hard charge from the end of the lake and pulls butt skiing footer right into rollers he created....very obviously on slalom rope, too...i think footer tried to plant somewhere in there......OUCH.

Footer falls/lets go.

Power turn by Maristar and then same pickup routine off plane and chuggin'.....

and then this repeats 5 more times.....was painful to watch, but funny too...should've video taped it...it was precious.....heard several time "let's try one more, I've almost got it!!"

shepherd
07-23-2006, 10:39 PM
......... just not so good for slalom or footing. Maybe he should have taken up wakeboarding...

Ramhouse
07-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Sounds like a tough situation!!! How to explain to a neighbor without piss'ng him off. Sounds like a owners meeting needs to be done reguarding rules and etiquite. Seems that you guys have a tough item on going if you already nicnamed him.....

SKI*MC
07-23-2006, 11:01 PM
My friend does this with his boat, i tried explaining it to him what that does to the water. But then his parents disputed that you have to get back to the skiier as soon as possible.

bigmac
07-24-2006, 08:14 AM
I don't hate the boats or the owners either, but calling a Maristar a ski boat is like calling my Prostar a fishing boat. :cool: I knew a guy years ago who bought a big Maristar, then got into skiing. He would ski and foot behind everyone else's boats (even the I/Os) because his boat was too big and the wake to monstrous. I don't know how many times he told me he was sorry he bought the Maristar. Again, not a bad boat, great for family outings on the lake/river, just not so good for slalom or footing. Maybe he should have taken up wakeboarding...The wake is certainly bigger than a ProStar's but it's certainly flatter than any I/O I've ever seen.

The Prostar is a great boat, but it's every bit the purpose-built boat that the Maristar is - just a different purpose. If you're into slalom skiing, Prostar is the way to go. The Maristar has a reasonably competent wake for slalom for non-enthusiasts but it is indeed better suited to people looking for a better all-around boat for cruising, families, and wake sports. In my experience, recreational skiers don't complain too much. Even so, there is a big and growing segment of the boat-buying public that doesn't care a WHIT about slalom wake. I, for one, appreciate MasterCraft having a line of boats taylored far better for my needs than a DD Prostar. A flat wake wouldn't be worth the sacrifice to me.

peason
07-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Johnny B. have you tried to pull up beside this guy or invited him over and point out a couple of driving tips - so everyone can be happy?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-24-2006, 12:18 PM
well, you could do that or you could get an X-Wing fighter and fire 2 photon torpedos in the exhaust port. Thats how Luke skywalker solved the Deathstar problem8p ;) :uglyhamme

JohnnyB
07-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Johnny B. have you tried to pull up beside this guy or invited him over and point out a couple of driving tips - so everyone can be happy?

That's kind of how I typically have worked with others on the lake, especially anyone else who is out early morning.

Several folks I ski with on the lake now are those that started coming out early mornings the same time we were. Rather than compete for the same water and drive each other nuts, I will take the initiative to pull up and ask them if they want to ski together out of one boat or take turns as opposed to fight each other's wakes.

Also plan to ask the aspiring footer if he'd like to come out with us........always nice to have additional people on the lake that like to ski/foot.

Three years ago I knew no-one on the lake, but have made several friends (skiers and non) by stoping to talk to them and invite them to ski, ride along, etc. Have exchanged pulls with probably close to 1/2 dozen different families around the lake -- that's what makes the sport fun is the people you meet and get to enjoy it with.

JohnnyB
07-24-2006, 12:27 PM
My friend does this with his boat, i tried explaining it to him what that does to the water. But then his parents disputed that you have to get back to the skiier as soon as possible.

If the lake was extremely busy, I'd understand. But when you're only one of the two boats using the lake, I don't.

Also, I think that cutting back to idle, turning at idle and then accelerating back to your skier on plane can be done quickly and without sacrificing the water conditions......probably as fast as making a semi-sweeping power turn and then going 1/4 throttle barely on plane back to the skier.....

shepherd
07-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to appear like I was bashing Maristars (I'll blame Ron Bacardi on that :rolleyes: ), just point out the opinion of the only Maristar owner I knew. He turned into a diehard slalomer and footer. And I still say the wake on my 17' Stingray was smaller than the wake on his 24' Maristar.

Rockman
07-24-2006, 01:21 PM

Wally rule #73 (I think). :mad:

What a Jacka$$ that guy is! He can actually stop the boat, turn around completing and then hammer is back to the down skier alot faster that making a big 'ol circle and messing up the lake.

Datdude
07-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey Johnny B,

Where on the lake does the Deathstar dock?

Leroy
07-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Nice job! THat is what it is about out on the water!

That's kind of how I typically have worked with others on the lake, especially anyone else who is out early morning.

Several folks I ski with on the lake now are those that started coming out early mornings the same time we were. Rather than compete for the same water and drive each other nuts, I will take the initiative to pull up and ask them if they want to ski together out of one boat or take turns as opposed to fight each other's wakes.

Also plan to ask the aspiring footer if he'd like to come out with us........always nice to have additional people on the lake that like to ski/foot.

Three years ago I knew no-one on the lake, but have made several friends (skiers and non) by stoping to talk to them and invite them to ski, ride along, etc. Have exchanged pulls with probably close to 1/2 dozen different families around the lake -- that's what makes the sport fun is the people you meet and get to enjoy it with.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Wally Rule #298: Make sure your pontoon boat has a very oversized engine for towing at least 3 tubes on it. SPin lots of circles and tow them thru any slalom course in sight whipping them around the bouys. Sleep onthe boat at night, and get up at daybreak, cook breakfast on the grill and begin toobing at 5:30 am. stop to rest when wakeboard boats hit the lake. Take a nap. Get some lunch. go tubin, stop for dinner, and be sure to go tuoobin again in the evening to take advantage of the pristine glass!:cool: