PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Batteries are dead!!!!!!

prostar205
07-22-2006, 07:40 PM
I recently upgraded my stereo in my X30. It has been up and running for 3 months with no problems at all. All of my batteries (3 total) are receiving almost 14V from the alternator when the motor is under load. I had the stock 51A alternator bumped to 101A. Yesterday, at the end of the day the battery siren was going off and I noticed that both banks of batteries were only receiving 10.5V from the alternator. I assume I fried something in the alternator but will not know until Monday when I take it back to the shop that did the work. Could it be anything else?

rektek
07-22-2006, 08:04 PM
alternator or alternator B+ / battery connections would be my guess.
amp clamp and some voltage drop test will show you right away.

Jeff

prostar205
07-24-2006, 12:50 AM
rektek -

Can you explain in alittle more detail what the alternator B+ / battery connections you are referring to?

Also, what is an amp clamp?

Lastly, you refer to a voltage drop test - across what device? The batteries. I can tell you the batteries start off with 12V and when the engine starts they drop to 10.5V.

Thanks for the response.

prostar205
07-24-2006, 05:39 PM
I just heard from my electric shop. I blew up the voltage regulator by forgetting to switch the Perko battery switch from OFF to 1, 2, ALL. I guess when you try to start the boat with the switch in the OFF position, it dead shorts directly to the voltage regulator and blows it up. The shop I use is fixing it for the cost of the part ($30) and giving me a spare. They even showed me how to replace it. What a great bunch of guys.

Andyg
07-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Get rid of that perko switch and install a 200 amp relay instead. It is hassle free and won't leave you stranded on the lake.

prostar205
07-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Amen Andy.

I should have done that from the begining. Diesel told me so and I tried the Perko. It is definately out of here.