PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Newboe Q...How to Pull a Wakeboarder

El Jeffe
07-22-2006, 12:41 AM
I have a 205 that I have really only pulled Skiers (and an ocasisonal tube) on my boat...

I've not had much/any experience pulling a wakeboarder...

Can yo give me the basics...

Length of rope
Speed to pull

Etc...

Doug G
07-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Steady pull up from a deep start not a full throttle yank try to limit the overspeed above the riding speed. beginners pull at 16 - 18mph while learning, advanced riders pull at 20-22 mph or whatever they want. They'll tell you what they like.
Rope length match to where the rider is hitting the nice spot in the wake for your boat. On the X-30 that runs at 65-75 depending on the rider. Longer rope gives a wider spot inside the wake for learning to edge and ride. Shorter makes w2w jumps easier cuz wake is narrower. (I know captain obvious)
Dog bone turns at end of run and back down the same path helps avoid riding your own chop if you don't do that already.
No power turns when the rider drops ...
Dave Briscoe has some good tips on his home page right now. http://www.thewakeboardcoach.com
Hope that helps.

El Jeffe
07-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Excellent...Thanks very much for the sound advice.

Also, transplanted from Philadelphia to Seattle...Where is Lake Wally

Doug G
07-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Wallenpaupack in the Poconos

RobertT
07-22-2006, 01:04 AM
I would say that the most common mistake is to pull a wakeboarder up too quickly. If you are on this board, you probably own or drive a MC and therefore have more power than you could ever use pulling up a wakeboarder.

Assuming you are pulling somebody that already has the basics, one thing is critical....

STAY DEAD STRAIGHT

Go straight ahead, make a hard turn, go straight as long as possible, make a hard turn.

Not a power turn by a long shot, just dont make super huge wide turns. When you are going straight, your rider can have fun. While you are turning, he has to just hang on.

Maximize his/her fun by keeping on line.