PDA

View Full Version : Women's Slalom Skis

sfitzgerald351
11-01-2004, 03:05 PM
I finally got Kelly to try one-ski this summer (with the help of the deep v-handle I bought her last Christmas) and she loved it. Now she's mad that I didn't get her skiing on 1 sooner -- even though she used to get mad at me for pushing to give it a go... :confused: :uglyhamme :)

Anyway, I'd like to get her a good slalom ski that will allow her to learn and progress, but that will still be stable enough that she doesn't get scared off. She's 5'8", with an athletic build. Does anyone have any recommendations? Unforetunately there is no way to demo skis around me so it's the buy/sell method...

Scott

east tx skier
11-01-2004, 03:12 PM
HO's ASX is a good combination of stability and performance. I don't know how far from "beginner" she is, but if you'd call her an intermediate skier, the ASX might be a good ski for her.

Mag_Red
11-01-2004, 03:21 PM
I'll have to see a picture of her to be able to recommend a proper ski. Anything else would just be a guess. :D

BriEOD
11-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Hey Doug, the ASX works good for you? :uglyhamme

I know, I know, it's the wifes. She goes through skis like shoes I've noticed.

east tx skier
11-01-2004, 03:26 PM
You and your good memory, Brian. ;)

I should clarify. When I was on the Mapple and was starting to realize how squirrelly it was, I rode my wife's new ASX, which was ultimately, according to her, too slow. I loved my first ride on it because it had stability that I was really missing from the Mapple. Ultimately, we both switched skis, but they are both H.O. (I'm on a CDX, she's on a Truth). Don't be fooled when I say it's too slow for her though as she's been skiing for almost 27 years.

sfitzgerald351
11-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Kelly is just learning to ski on 1. I used to teach water skiing so her form is good (hips forward etc...), but she's just getting used to crossing the wakes and mostly just eases back and forth. She's only been up on 1 maybe for 6 pulls. This next year we'll teach her how to cut properly and ride the ski on edge through the wake. But until I get there I'm looking for a ski that can be ridden flat without seeming to be 'squirrly' but that will also turn and cut okay with an intermediate skier and will allow her to progress to be a solid intermediate free skier.

east tx skier
11-01-2004, 03:53 PM
In that case, keep your eye out for a used O'Brien G2 Weapon. My sister in law is in that same boat --- just got up on 1 ski and has ridden some, but not a lot. We gave her my old G2 and she loves it and is starting to work on her cuts.

tex
11-01-2004, 03:59 PM
ebay my mc brother! keep looking and research.

BrianM
11-01-2004, 04:40 PM
My wife was at just about the same level and I bought her a KD3000 with Wiley highwraps. She has loved it. It is not squirley for her now she is just now getting into cutting harder through the wakes but generally makes slower easy turns and crosses gently through the wake and according to my research should be a great ski for course skiing as well. The other ski that a considered for her was an HO Esprit. Seemed like it was about in the same class but maybe a bit more foregiving. Give Wileys a call they had some great deals

jimmer2880
11-02-2004, 06:45 AM
You'all are probably going to shoot me down for this - but here it goes. I bought my wife a Connelly Mid-SX (shaped ski) a couple years back. She absolutely LOVES that ski. I ordered the ski with double high-wrap plate boots. With decent boots on it, that ski is quite fun to ride! I typically take it out a couple times a year. It will slice through the wake if on edge & holds amazingly well. I haven't yet, but I swear it can handle a 15 off 32mph pass with no problems or - better yet - not holding the skier back either. For the beginner all the way through the beginning course skier (This ski does NOT like to go more than 32), in my opinion - there isn't a better ski made.

sfitzgerald351
11-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Okay... I've been doing some research on a slalom ski for my fiance and I'm nowhere closer to making a decision than when I started.

1.) Can anyone point me to some online / catalog stores besides Barts and Overton's for skiis? I've always bought from one or the other, but they have a very limited selection of skis these days (e.g. only have appropriate skis in Connelly and O'Brien)

2.) Anyone know anything about the Connelly Tactic ski? Both Barts and Overton's carry it and it looks like a nice compromise between the Pilot (Mid SX) and the FX ski... What about the Connelly HP? The Connelly ski site has NO info on these skis at all. What's up with that?

Thanks!

BriEOD
11-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Scott,

Here is the place to buy skis: http://www.wileyski.com/

I got my KD 7000 from them last year. Actually my wife got it for me as an Xmas gift. She called and they had one with a factory blemish on top of the ski. It is a nick about 1/8 the size of your pinky nail. She got $200 off for that. Plus they have great bindings. She called up talked to a pro, told him my size, speed, general capability and they hooked her up. I've heard a lot of other people say great things about Wileys. Two thumbs up from me. Check em' out.

sfitzgerald351
11-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Cool! I'd never even heard of them... Sounds like they know their stuff and the prices looked pretty good. I'll call them tomorrow.

André
11-14-2004, 06:24 PM
You could looks in the adds pages of Waterski Mag,lots of place with website that sells skis

JimN
11-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Fiance? Oh, oh! I think I hear Rick getting ready to post! :popcorn:

BriEOD
11-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Fiance? Oh, oh! I think I hear Rick getting ready to post! :popcorn:

I'll be right back; I've got to go get a spoon for Jim! :D

sfitzgerald351
11-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I know what Rick will say... "move 'em in, move 'em out!"

But you know what? I've never been happier than with Kelly and I don't think it's right to her or me to go into the relationship without giving it my all. And if that means I lose my house, truck and boat someday because it doesn't work so be it. Life will go on. Until then, the incentives are for us to make the relationship work and I prefer it that way.

Besides... any girl who will wear a string bikini to match my boat (blue with white stars) is a sure bet! 8p

east tx skier
11-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Congrats, Scott. I'll iterate the plug for Wiley's. They're very knowledgeable and have some good stuff. You also might want to check out the web page for Bennetts Ski School. I think it's www.skibennetts.com. On the left side of the page, they have a link to closeouts. Some very good end of season deals.

www.ski-it-again.com has some great used stuff, too.

ski_king
11-15-2004, 02:41 PM
I have been following this thread as I have been planning on buying a new ski for my daughters this Christmas.
They have gotten pretty good this last year and the bindings on the antique Obrien are shot.

I was thinking of getting a Obrien World Team Comp for them to share.
They are 14 and 17 and both go about 110 lb.s give or take a few.

Any suggestions or comments?

Then after they get a new ski, it is time for dad to replace his antique MasterCraft Lapoint SuperStar.

sfitzgerald351
11-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Brian,

I think Wiley's has me sold on either the HO Esprit or the KD3000. What level was your wife at when she first skied the KD3000 and what was her reaction? Is the KD3000 easy to ride flat and is it stable when just hanging out or easing across the wake? I don't want to have Kelly get frustrated by giving her too much ski right away.

Thanks!

André
11-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Scott
If the KD 3000 is anything like his big brother the KD 7000 that Brian and i ski on,i think it would be a good choice.I always felt really comfortable on the first ride on all my KD's ,Redline, FX 7.0,and KD 7000.
Very users friendly.
Nathalie learned to ski on my FX 7.0 which was way too big for her and acted as a wide ski.At 115 pouds,she is now on a HO Revolt,wich is a high end junior slalom ski,good for 125 pounds or less.
If she ever "outweight" her ski,which i doubt,i'll throw her out!!!LOL

east tx skier
11-16-2004, 11:47 AM
PS82, if that O'Brien has "Advantage" bindings on it, don't get rid of them. Define "shot." They are among the most comfortable boots O'Brien ever put out. You can find replacement parts on ebay, and I think O'Brien still has some that you can special order through its dealers.

betsy&david Harrison
11-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Here is a chics point of view...the KD3000 is a great place to start. It has beveled edges and a nice tunnel. When she masters this she can move up to the KD7000. This is what I use now and I love it. Betsy

sfitzgerald351
11-16-2004, 11:37 PM
KD3000 it is. Wiley's served up a pretty good deal and everyone I talked to was real nice and helpful. Sounds like they make a pretty good boot as well. The price is certainly right. I don't know how I didn't know about this place. Thanks gang! :wavey:

tex
12-09-2004, 03:24 PM
xmas for the wife! i am just starting to get back into 3 eventing so i do not know alot about women's slaloms. my wife is 5-5 and weighs about 110. she will run the course this summer. she just needs to get back in slalom timing. 26-28 mph. any suggestions on ski size?

east tx skier
12-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Tex, if it's a new "performance" ski, I'd say no longer than 66". They're sizing new skis a bit longer than they did traditionally due to improved materials in the layup. At slower speeds, you can tend to go longer on ski length as well. If you google "water ski size" you will find all sorts of charts that can help.

BriEOD
12-09-2004, 04:16 PM
KD3000 it is. Wiley's served up a pretty good deal and everyone I talked to was real nice and helpful. Sounds like they make a pretty good boot as well. The price is certainly right. I don't know how I didn't know about this place. Thanks gang! :wavey:

I got, actually my wife (God bless her) got my KD 7000 with Wiley Super Comp bindings from Wileys for me last X-mas. The ski and bindings have been great. I spent a week at ski school with it and I have no complaints.

James O'Keefe
12-13-2004, 06:17 PM
How about the HO Esprit? To my knowledge, that is the only ski specifically made for women. I'm planning on getting one for my mother for christmas (from Wiley's).

sfitzgerald351
12-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Yeah, that was the other ski I was considering. It's was a toss up between that and the KD3000. In the end it sounded like the KD3000 would take her a bit farther. And BrianM's wife seems to like hers. My guess is that either would work well, but until you try them both it's hard to tell.