PDA

View Full Version : What The Pluck

JimN
07-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Here it is, a new thread that can be jacked so people can talk about skiing and boats.

Doug- the cabinet and speakers are from the parts dept since I didn't get them when I bought it, it was in a Silvertone head box and as I said before, I thing the original was destroyed from being dropped or something. Still sounds amazing although I need to clean the controls and switches. I'm probably going to "age" it soon so it looks more original. A few coats of lacquer and some gentle sanding, then I'll leave it out in the sun for a while to make the lacquer turn yellow.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-21-2006, 06:27 PM
You mean a reverse thread? we start talking about other stuff, and then threadjack it to boats and skiing?

east tx skier
07-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Man, my post didn't go through earlier.

Jim, sounds like those retrocasters they made for a while (may still make). They'd burn a cigarette down under the strings on the headstock to leave a mark. Rub something over the back a few hundred times to make the belt buckle mark. Ah, what else.

Here are my pluckees.

1998 PRS Hollowbody I (#10 on reverse of headstock). I don't think this is #10 built. I forget the significance. I think it had to do with quality of a sort though. Looks like a violin. Love it.

1989 Telecaster with a 99 serial number Canary Yellow.

1967 Gibson ES-335. It's perfect. Looks like a coffee table.

1962 Gibson acoustic folk guitar (seems like I run into a ton of people with this guitar).

xxxx Norman Acoustic Guitar (made by the seagull co.). Nothing special, but sounds very good. Nice and even.

Yamaha C-40 Classical. I got this so I could have something that didn't need a case and could be leaned against the wall. Something to grab so I would play more. I need another one for the lake.

Now all I want is a resonator. :)

Used to have ...

Ibanez that was one of the Gibson Lawsuit guitars. Resembled (a little too closely) a custom 3 pickup. Never stayed in tune well.

Gibson Les Paul Gold top (and gold back). Traded it for the Deluxe Reverb amp. Had a hairline crack under the paint on the neck. The store that bought it listed it for twice what they paid me for it the next day. I guess they thought they were taking advantage of me. Maybe they did. The thing weighed about as much as a railroad tie.

Reissue of a 72 Telecaster Thinline. Semihollow with humbuckers.

40th Anniversary Sunburst Stratocaster with a rosewood fingerboard. The only one I'd like to have back (but wouldn't trade any of my current 3 for it).

I think there was a Japanese Fender Strat in the mix there somewhere. I know the Thinline was Japanese. Ironic, but the Japanese Fenders, though they sounded fine, always seemed to have problems with the electronics. Both of those guitars had the 3 way/5 way go out while I had them.

Oh, and there are pedals. Too many to list. Here's ne setup.

JimN
07-21-2006, 06:42 PM
That could never happen. Not here, noooooooo!

JimN
07-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Doug- check out Regal resonators, unless you want an old, funky National or Dobro with palm trees on it. I've been thinking about getting one, too. If I could only play like Jerry Douglas as soon as I pick it up. He's coming to MKE with Sam Bush on Aug. 18th. I might have to go to that.

My Strat must be older than I thought- it has a 97 serial number. I'll go to the Fender site and look it up again. I'm going to do the volume control mod this weekend but instead of doing it, putting it together and trying it, then wanting to change it, I'm going to hang a pair of wires out with alligator clips so I can make changes easier, i.e. more or less resistance or capacitance. I might even get one of the volume control/2 position switch so I can have some kind of boost/cut at the push of a button.

I had a cherry sunburst Ibanez lawsuit model, too. The neck was a bit on the thin side and early on, it warped toward teh strings but I couldn't get rid of the warp by loosening the truss rod. After talking to a couple of the guys at the music store I worked at, I put Gibson 340L strings on it. Man, were those some ropes! .013- .056 and it eventually came back to shape. Those were brutal on my fingers. Never really liked the sound so I changed the pickups (DiMarzio Dual Sound at the bridge, Duncan Fat Strat in a little plate I made in the neck position). Then, I added a preamp that was in Guitar Player so I had volume, gain, bass and treble. Interesting but still not great. I paid $275 for it in '75 or '76 and sold it (consignment) in '98- got more than I paid for it, even after the shop took their cut. I saw one just like it on ebay and the guy was asking $750. He'll never get that, but he can dream.

JimN
07-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I've never been too into effects but I would really like to get a good Hammond sound. Does the Uni-Vibe with flanger or chorus and some delay do a decent job or do you have something that is better?

I forgot to mention my Ibanez AW-60 Artwood acoustic. I had an Ibanez Hummingbird copy with rosewood sides and back that I traded + $80 for the Artwood. Solid mahogany back and sides, solid sitka spruce top, all of the binding, purfling and rosette are contrasting wood and there's an overlay on the headstock. The original nut cracked and I recently replaced that with a Tusq bridge saddle. Very nice. I had a Martin piezo pickup in it until I snapped it in half while I was cleaning it. The jack is still there so I'll probably put something else in there. The groove is still under the saddle. I also had the original nut replaced with a graphite one.

What did you start on? My first was a Stella that my uncle sent from PHX when I was 9. He had arthritis so bad he was bed-ridden from the time he was about 36 till he died at 67. My mom told me that he used to play slide with a pocketknife.

east tx skier
07-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I started on that 62 Gibson and one of the original Japanese import electrics (strat style no name).

As for a rotary speaker effect, the univibe does best with the Axis Bold as Love sound. I think Line 6 or someone makes a good rotary speaker effect.

check out www.analogman.com. Tons of great effects and pedal mods.

By the way, that wah is a Teese McCoy RMC3. You can tune it to get all sorts of different wah varieties. It has preset combos do do pretty much all the great ones you can't find anymore.

Ric
07-22-2006, 10:27 AM
I am thinking of putting the wing back on my fin..........

Nahhhh pluck it.

east tx skier
07-24-2006, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=JimN]I've never been too into effects but I would really like to get a good Hammond sound. Does the Uni-Vibe with flanger or chorus and some delay do a decent job or do you have something that is better?
/QUOTE]

Jim, check this out.

http://analogman.com/boss.htm#rt20

Do a word find for RT-20. Supposed to be a classic Leslie organ speaker simulation (that'll give you the Hammond Organ sound).

I found a Leslie in working condition for about $400 once. Passed on it because I'd have had to hunt down a footswitch for it and it was huge.

JimN
07-24-2006, 01:40 PM
I moved enough Leslie cabinets when I worked at a music store to never want one, unless someone else moved it for me. There is a smaller version, too.

I saw the emulator and may check into it but I haven't decided anything yet. OTOH, the wall wart for my Alesis MicroVerb took a dump yesterday and I'm getting tired of that happening (second time). I have a friend who makes stomp boxes- ever heard of RPG Electronics? I think I'm going to call him again and talk about making a combo unit. He recently came out with a couple of amp heads that are switchable so they give the sounds of different amps but they're not emulating them, like the Cyber series from Fender. He said the Cyber Fenders are being found on the side of roads due to breakdowns, too. I went to a Fender clinic on 9-11 (that night), put on by a friend who does a lot of clinics for them (also played at The Crossroads Festival) and when he set it to '58 Bassman, it was dead nuts, as far as the sound. (Then, he made a comment about me not wanting to sell mine and told them to meet me in the parking lot to see if I could be "persuaded")

I e-mailed Mike at Analogman and who knows, maybe I'll see what he has.

east tx skier
07-24-2006, 02:13 PM
As far as reverb goes, I have zero complaints with My Real Tube Reverb. Unfortunately, they're no longer made, but if you can find one, they have dynamite sound.

JimN
07-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Is that by Vermona?

east tx skier
07-24-2006, 04:27 PM
No, "Real Tube." I've got a rack mounted preamp by them as well as a "Blue Tube" overdrive pedal. Really well made stuff.

shepherd
07-24-2006, 04:46 PM
You mean a reverse thread? we start talking about other stuff, and then threadjack it to boats and skiing?

OK, here goes... This web site is the first place I heard of someone skiing on an oar. Has anybody here skied on an axe (or a guitar)? :smile:

JimN
10-09-2006, 06:48 PM
OK, finally found this thread again.

Mag_Red
10-09-2006, 07:23 PM
We Should have a TMC Pluck Off! Eastie, Jim N , and UMP. Ump is pretty bad A$$:guitar:

TMCNo1
10-09-2006, 07:38 PM
I am thinking of putting the wing back on my fin..........

Nahhhh pluck it.

Have you ever noticed if you pluck a slalom rope @ 38 Off @ bouy #5 it sounds like one of them small strangs on a geetar?:D :rolleyes: 8p

east tx skier
10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Beauties, Jim! That Telecaster on the right looks like my 89, but with a black pick guard.

JimN
10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I wish they were mine, but.....

If I could have afforded some of the guitars that came through the music store, yada, yada, yada. The '58 Korina wood Flying V was a nice one. We took it apart, cleaned everything, resoldered everything, polished it and it was just about perfect when we were done. Had a hard time getting $1500 for it in about '75. It went to the Southwest Guitar Show (you remember Charlie?) and sold for $46K, then later it went for $64K, the last time in about '84. The sales mgr at the store kept a record of any collectible things that came through the store and that one was definitely one of the highest priced guitars. It's probably worth about $120K now.

I also should have kept my '55 two-hole Bassman but I sold it to an old roommate for what I had into it. I'm still kicking myself for that one.

east tx skier
10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I had a late 60s VOX amp (solid state unfortunately). It was my uncle's. Only problem was that some jackass second cousin of mine found it first and gutted it to use in his car stereo. I kept the cabinet and electronics for a long time and finally donated it to my local small music store for parts and a bit of trade value on my telecaster.

I still kick myself occasionally for not buying a vintage all rosewood tele when I had the chance years back.

JimN
10-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Was it a Berkely? I have one that was somewhat taken apart by some nimrod who deceded to replace the wires that connected the two circuit boards. Got it from the guy who makes RPG Electronics pedals when we worked together. Someday, I'll put it together. Maybe that Rockwell device will help.

east tx skier
10-10-2006, 12:20 PM
That sounds vaguely familiar. I believe it was originally a 2x10. I'm not a huge fan of solid state ams (apart from the Roland JC), but this would have been neat to have.

bfrank
10-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Used to play a mustang bass with a bassman setup. It sounded a bit like old hot tuna (the band not the fish), loved it!! You can still google one of my first bands "Men and Volts", that goes waaaay back, then independent bands through the 80's and 90's. Used to appear on a cable TV show in Charlotte with a friend of mine Jimmy Duckworth, I'm pretty sure it aired in NY as well (may still) That was oddball stuff. Then mostly blues bands, playing around Charlotte, NC (Doubledoor). I think I might still have some older 1980s recordings on my other system (with the Western Elec I mentioned). I can email an MP3?

Whats your band history?

Speaking of Amplifiers and Leo... The national steel was the first guitar amplifier, though passive. The development of electronics killed the first round of passive amplified guitars. Do you live around NY? If you do I will give you my brothers #. He also knows rudy van gelder, used to hang out with Gatemouth Brown, Rosco Gordon, Vassar Clements... it goes on. He is a wealth of music information

JimN
10-21-2006, 03:22 PM
I know about Hot Tuna, you mean Jack Casady? The radio station at the school I went to plays their stuff a lot. Also, they have had Jorma in for interviews frequently.

Unfortunately, the people I hung out with didn't play much, if at all, so I was pretty much on my own early on. The ones in HS who played usually stuck together most of the time and played outside of school, which really sucked for me. My school put out some really good players, most notably, Howie Epstein (late) of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. Never really played in any bands, just got together with people and open jams. Unfortunately, too many other things going on but I'm getting the urge to play out again. I also worked at a music store, so that's where I learned about a lot of styles, equipment, musicians, etc. The last band I auditioned for (on bass) played mostly Prog Rock, like old Kansas (Song For America era), UK, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis with Peter Gabriel and things like that.

I'm in the Milwaukee area.

Re: National, Dobro, et al, those weren't used in jazz bands much and it was jazz guitarists who first wanted to be heard. Guitar replaced banjo in these bands and until Les Paul, Rickenbacker (with their "Pancake guitar") and Doc Kaufmann came up with their versions, they weren't electric. Leo didn't even start until after WWII and even then, the first thing he made was a bass guitar.

How old is your resonator? I assume you know about Jerry Douglas, right?

Did you name the band Men and Volts because of the book by John Hammond?