PDA

View Full Version : I Give Up

captain planet
07-21-2006, 03:32 PM
When I bought my boat, the previous owner had put a bimini on the boat so there were holes in the boat for the hardware, but no hardware. I put hardware on and a few years later I got a bimini (a really bad one by the way). Now the only hardware for the side mount bimini hinge I could find that was compatable to the holes in the boat were nylon. No problem. Now that I am now skiing with the bimini up most of the time I want to replace the nylon side mounts with stainless steel. Here's the problem

The holes for the current brackets are 1 5/8 inch apart. I have ordered two different stainless side mount brackets that and neither have the same bolt patterns. They are just close enough if I use one of the current holes and drill a new hole, you'll be able to see the old hole just at the edge of the bracket. :mad: I have looked everywhere on-line to find a stainless or chrome plated metal bracket with the bolt pattern that I have and it appears that it does not exist.

The nylon brackets that I have now are from Perko. I called them and they told me they don't have any nylon brackets and were basically no help.

Here is my sceneario. If I use the new brackets I will need to plug one of the holes, what is the best way to do that since the holes are pretty small? I know very little about fiberglass work. I am figuring that just making the current holes a little more "oval" is out of the question. In true MasterCraft style, all my bimini hardware is thru-bolted.:D

Sorry for the long boring (and probably insignificant) post, but I really hate to put holes in my boat and I am really getting frustrated with this. I am looking for a good place to get hardware that I haven't already tried.

Thanks

bcampbe7
07-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Are you talking about the rear mount or all?
If rear, leave the nylon, or put a pop-up cleat in it's place and use this little gem.

Slide clamp (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/103991/0/0/clamp/All_2/mode%20matchallpartial/15/0)

You may want to check the size but it works great on my '96 grab rail.

east tx skier
07-21-2006, 03:58 PM
I went to jaw slides on the grab rails, too. Works like a charm. Link is in my signature.

Robert Averyt
07-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Make a drawing of what you want and take it to your local Machine shop.

Maristar210
07-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Captain,

If you can send me a sketch of what you really need including hole to hole dimensions and so on I will make it for you out of 304 Stainless - free of charge and send it to you within a few days. It will be poilished and pretty not some hack job either. If you wish I will PM you my info so you may send a sketch or I have CAD and SolidWorks on my computer if you by chance have that as well.

Steve

Tryin-again
07-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Can you re-drill the new ss mounts to make the second hole match - put the oval hole in the mount ???

Or check electric suppy/ Auto parts store for the black plugs for the firewall - It might be that a clean - fitting plug just looks like it was suppose to be there (From the factory)

Leroy
07-21-2006, 04:16 PM
What an offer! Way to go Steve!

Captain,

If you can send me a sketch of what you really need including hole to hole dimensions and so on I will make it for you out of 304 Stainless - free of charge and send it to you within a few days. It will be poilished and pretty not some hack job either. If you wish I will PM you my info so you may send a sketch or I have CAD and SolidWorks on my computer if you by chance have that as well.

Steve

captain planet
07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Here is a link to the side mount that I am talking about.

http://www.sea-dog.com/PDF/270200.pdf

It is part number 270250. It is in the center second from the top. This is the mount I am looking for, but with 1 5/8" spacing (or 1.6") for the bolts. This one shown here is about 1 3/8 (or 1.42").

WOW Maristar, I appreciate the offer, but how can that be F.O.C.? Feel free to PM me.

BrianM
07-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Just stick with the Nylon. My '88 used nylon brackets as the main bracket and for the rear ridged supports. I had the top up all the time and trailered it a lot of miles with the bimini in the up and stowed position. Never had a problem with the nylons. If your worried about it just buy a couple of spares.

bcampbe7
07-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Steve's the man!:cool: :cool:

TMCNo1
07-21-2006, 05:08 PM
You can also take a flat, thin sheet of polished alum, or S/S and make a base plate about 3/16" or 1/4' larger than the base outline of the bracket or what ever it takes to cover the unused hole. Center your bracket on the plate, drill your holes, use one of the original holes and drill you new hole in the fiberglass and your plate should cover up the extra hole.

Maristar210
07-22-2006, 10:45 PM
C.P.

My offer and "pay it forward" still stand. I would help any member here, no problem. Let me know. I can do it Monday if you give me some dimensions.

Steve