PDA

View Full Version : Leak in hull near drive shaft? (with pics)

dichdoc
07-21-2006, 12:37 PM
While on vacation two weeks ago I pulled the rear floor to check the shaft packing and noticed water leaking in through what appear to be cracks in the hull they don't appear to go to the outside. Iits a slow leak not a geyser. Does all the "goo" look factory or like a repair job? Should I just sand it and epoxy the cracks? Two more pics to follow. 84 S&S

dichdoc
07-21-2006, 12:38 PM
another view of the second spot. The screws point to the leaks,

dichdoc
07-21-2006, 12:42 PM
a final full view what are the thoughts?

ski_king
07-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Does it look like the water is coming in between the hull and inner liner or is it coming in thru the black goo?

It may be coming in at the rub rail it it neads sealed and is working its way down to the opening in the inner liner for the prop shaft.

Bruce Carr
07-21-2006, 01:44 PM
I have seen this on my own boat as well as two other S&S's. There are a couple of seams in the fiberglass hull where the shaft log penetrates the hull. Vibration apparantly fatiques the joint after some time and the jopint cracks.

You will likely find a crack under the "goo" as well. The fix is to clean up the area with solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner real well, sand the heck out of the fiberglass, and clean some more with solvent. You want to roughen the surface and remove any residual oils around the repair area. Then layup a couple plies of fiberglass cloth with epoxy or polyester resin over the cracks including a couple inches on all sides of the crack(s).

bigmac
07-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I have seen this on my own boat as well as two other S&S's. There are a couple of seams in the fiberglass hull where the shaft log penetrates the hull. Vibration apparantly fatiques the joint after some time and the jopint cracks.

You will likely find a crack under the "goo" as well. The fix is to clean up the area with solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner real well, sand the heck out of the fiberglass, and clean some more with solvent. You want to roughen the surface and remove any residual oils around the repair area. Then layup a couple plies of fiberglass cloth with epoxy or polyester resin over the cracks including a couple inches on all sides of the crack(s).
That's what I'd do too. Looks like great access for such a project, and it wouldn't be hard or expensive to do. I'd squeegee the first layer of polyester resin into the joint/crack thoroughy with one of those Bondo spreaders, then squeegee down the fiberglass. Do it outside...the odor is intense.

dichdoc
07-21-2006, 02:33 PM
I've still got glass and epoxy left from the refurb last winter. What is the black goo by the shaft? Is it stock or some type of repair???