PDA

View Full Version : Convert bunk to rollers?

bdecker
07-21-2006, 11:39 AM
I ran into a friend at the pond last night that has replaced half of his Malibu bunks with roller bunks to eliminate the scratches from the carpeting (available from Overtons). Does anyone have experience with these? As my bottom is black, these scratches are pretty noticable, however I don't want to make the situation worse either... Will this make the trailer less secure in terms of the boat moving around over the road? Obviously, I wouldn't unhook it at the top of a steep ramp...

This guy has replaced the middle bunks only, and left carpeting on the sides in the back. Not an MC trailer either, he's got a Response LXI.

butter
07-21-2006, 05:25 PM
I am by no means an expert on this, but personally I would never opt for rollers over bunks. I would much rather have the load of the boat spread out evenly over the larger surface area of the bunks, rather than "'point loaded" on a few rollers. It may be heresay, but I have heard that boats on rollers are more prone to weakening and/or deformation of the hull over time. And of course the most important reason I would not use rollers on a trailer, is I think they're ugly! ;)

Sorry, I can't comment whether they are less "scratchy".

east tx skier
07-21-2006, 05:37 PM
I am by no means an expert on this, but personally I would never opt for rollers over bunks. I would much rather have the load of the boat spread out evenly over the larger surface area of the bunks, rather than "'point loaded" on a few rollers. It may be heresay, but I have heard that boats on rollers are more prone to weakening and/or deformation of the hull over time. And of course the most important reason I would not use rollers on a trailer, is I think they're ugly! ;)

That was my first thought. Trailer manual recommends a continuous surface from the transom forward of 250 sq inches total.

jimmer2880
07-22-2006, 01:30 PM
I have a friend who just converted his I/O from rollers to bunks. It was not fun job, but after his boat got dented where the rollers touched the hull - he realized it was time to swap. That was a factory trailer BTW & the dents were very noticeable.

Stay with the carpet. If you want to do anything, coat them with Wax.

bdecker
07-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Good point, I think I'll stay away from it... I've used a little dish soap on the bunks and it seems to help, I'll have to try the wax approach as well. I'm not anxious to drop $400 on a trailer modification either.

TMCNo1
07-22-2006, 05:11 PM

Stay with the carpet. If you want to do anything, coat them with Wax.

Or, as stated in a precious thread, rub the carpet down with a bar of soap occasionally.

Leroy
07-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Wipe the bunks down with 303, just be very careful as your boat can slide off easily then.

SoCalBrew
07-23-2006, 04:40 AM
Never ever had a problem with roller trailers... Used Shorelander trailers for years, but it was for heavier (5000lb) I/O boats. It made centering properly on trailers mindless. We had the hull checked from time to time, and there weren't even black marks on it from the rollers. My MC trailer has bunks, and it is easy to slide the boat around on it if is not perfectly centered, so I wouldn't need to switch, but how different is putting a boat on rollers from putting it on most Shore Stations, Hydro Hoists, or other boat lifts? I know some lifts have bunks, but I do know a lot that just have a small v-cradle in the front and two small slats in the back...

my two cents...