PDA

View Full Version : Amp in protect mode... Is it fried


Doug G
07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
I posted this over in the electrical and got zero replies... hopefully overhere someone can help ...
So a huge roller crested the bow of the X-30 that rolled up the front seats and windshield and put 3" of water on the floor until it drained down and bilged out. (So I am told, I had just dropped from riding and didn't see it happen) After a lot of cleaning the only casualty seems to be the amp. The protect LED is on solid and the power led pulses from dim to bright and I hear a clicking with the pulsing. Water definately got in to the area and the front speakers definately got soaked. So after a day of hot sun and airing / drying everthing out we are still in that mode. Any of the audiophiles know if it is trashed or could it be a speaker problem? The manuals say it is in thermal protect but I know it isn't overheated.

This was last weekend I am headed to the boat tonight with crossed fingers.:worthy:

jraben8
07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
All I can do is offer a glimmer of hope.

I had the same thing happen last year. Mine had dried out over the course of the following week and has been fine ever since. I hope the same for you.

OhioProstar
07-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Did you check the fuses?

Doug G
07-21-2006, 12:28 PM
I could not find any fuses inline to the AMP. None of the breakers popped. I believe the amp is wired constant hot. (Turned the battery selector off and removed power and ground from the amp. They touched and sparked ) not sure if that is correct or not.

zberger
07-21-2006, 01:24 PM
I could not find any fuses inline to the AMP. None of the breakers popped. I believe the amp is wired constant hot. (Turned the battery selector off and removed power and ground from the amp. They touched and sparked ) not sure if that is correct or not.

there better be a fuse or some sort of circuit breaker between the battery and the amp.. if not.. i'd be on the horn to MC ASAP!

Doug G
07-22-2006, 12:41 AM
After a week of sitting and drying out it is still in protect mode and no audio. If I need to buy a new amp any recommendations? Go with the same JL or is there a better bang for the buck. I know little about this so any help is greatly appreciated from those more educated. Thanks

JimN
07-22-2006, 01:32 AM
First, disconnect the speaker wires, one at a time and watch the protect light. After the front speaker wires are off, it may come back. If the amp didn't get wet, it's probably a wet speaker or wire. If teh amp did get water inside and yo uwaited a week, it may be too late. Water that stays in amplifiers tends to corrode things, like resistor/capacitor/transistor/IC/inductor legs and if these have voltage on them, they tend to go away fast.

Remove the fuse or open the circuit breaker at the battery, then remove the amp and open it up. Look inside for any obvious damage (burnt spots, corroded components, etc). If there are crusty deposits on the circuit board, remove them with a damp towel. Blow any water out with compressed air. Look for blown fuses inside the amp. A day of sun and airing out does almost nothing when the water in inside an amp.

MC used to install a circuit breaker near the battery. The sparks you saw are probably from that being live. Look near or in the battery box for it.

Doug G
07-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks Jim. We had the amp apart last weekend (the day after). Some water on the outside of the case but no signs of water inside and no signs of anything cooked. Blew it out anyway just to be safe. I have not tried isolating the speakers. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

ndlare
07-23-2006, 08:50 AM
I had the protect light on steady in my 06. Dealer replaced the amp and the problem was fixed. I'd say bad amp.

herringtech
07-23-2006, 11:36 AM
If you have a short in the speakers wires it will not go off protect. I had some insulation come off a wire, and when I turned up the volume it would arc to the tower and put it in protection. What a nightmare that was tracking down that one bad cable.

PendO
07-23-2006, 05:52 PM
I had the protect light on steady in my 06. Dealer replaced the amp and the problem was fixed. I'd say bad amp.

I had the protection light come on when I turned the stereo up to an audible volume ... removed all speaker connections to the amp, added them back 1 by 1 ... replaced the speaker wire on the one causing the problems and it worked fine ... verdict, wire must have been nicked when they put the upholstery on ... royal PITA if you have MTS ballast system in a 197 ... just my experience.

Doug G
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks Guys,

I pulled the front speakers yesterday still no good. Called the dealer this morning. Gonna let them check it. It's amazing how spoiled I got with the tunes and how much I miss them.

skeeler
07-24-2006, 12:38 PM
More than likely.....toast. I had one go into protection about a month ago that was fried.

Doug G
07-24-2006, 01:50 PM
At this point I would rather have a toasted amp and relatively simple repair vs a short somewhere and that nightmare.

skeeler
07-24-2006, 02:11 PM
At this point I would rather have a toasted amp and relatively simple repair vs a short somewhere and that nightmare.
.
.
Short is probably unlikely, but you can check the speaker wire out with a volt meter to see if there is a short.