PDA

View Full Version : tender subject...

blackbeauty02
07-21-2006, 02:25 AM
...i was going to pull my boat 2 hours down to a nearby lake for a weekend with my girlfriend and her family. here's the problem. only me and my best friend have driven boats and actually constantly pulled people behind it. we are fighting b/c i told her i really don't want to pull my boat down there with noone to pull me on it. her stepdad will be there but i'm pretty sure he's only ridden his seadoo's. her brother-in-law who is early 30's will be there as well and i'm sure he's driven boats before but i've tried explaining to my g/f that driving a boat and pulling a skier/wakeboarder are two different things. what would you do? would you trust the b-i-l pulling you or trust your girlfriend after you give her a crash course helping her pull her brother and cousins. i want to teach her but i want my friend and i so she can pull one of us while the other is giving pointers (i would try it this weekend but noone but me has wakeboarded so it's going to be constant turning around). i'm a rock in b/w a hard place and don't know what to do. pull it and spend a crap load in gas chancing not even riding on my own boat or just get pulled on her jetski's the whole weekend and practice switch and popping and stuff.

kalanic
07-21-2006, 02:36 AM
Well...we all started somewhere. Try teaching her.

'02xrider
07-21-2006, 03:41 AM
Have to agree with Kalanic. Teach and then you have another driver available. My wife has become the best driver I know. Don't tell her though...

chirobum
07-21-2006, 07:54 AM
my wife is still learning, and occas. does some dumb s#!t like almost run me over, but will only make her a better boater. give her the experience:D

sberry3827
07-21-2006, 07:56 AM
suck it up for a weekend. take the boat, you'll appreciate having it even if you only get to drive it.

Maristar210
07-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Teach Her. My wife drive the boat now better than I do. She pulls skiers adn WB great. Show her first, and TAKE YOUR TIME. If you rush her she'll screw it up and you'll both be pi$$ed.

Steve

Tom023
07-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Are you going down there for her or you? Sounds like her, so suck it up and take the boat and drive it. It you, then stay at home and have your friend drive it and teach her, that way next time you'll have a driver.

peason
07-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Ditto, everyone has to start somewhere.

Davo
07-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Yep, you have to teach her how to drive eventually.

It sounds like you're not sure how good a driver the bro in law is...you never know - he could drive well enough to pull a rider. The stepdad....although I wouldn't trust someone who has only ridden PWC's to drive a boat, he is older and surely he must have driven a boat somewhere down the line and is wise enough to be safe/smart behind the wheel given a little instruction.

Your boat is new to you so I understand your anxiety. Maybe, you could give the girlfriend a crash course before you get to the lake? When you teach her - BE PATIENT...don't expect her to give you a perfect pull and just be understanding that it is difficult for a new driver to hold speed and to run good lines. Water time is valuable and a good pull is important, but more importantly - teach her SAFETY FIRST, and then how to pull a rider consistently.

Don't overwhelm her with instructions or rush her, but make it simple and let her take some time driving around in traffic with you next to her....then, if she is comfortable - let her pull you...and be patient. :)

As for gas....most considerate people would offer to chip in when you bring your boat to a family gathering, but I wouldn't ask for money. If they don't offer - only run the boat part of the day and say you're running low on gas. :D Something tells me that if you don't bring the boat, you'll end up wishing you had.

Davo
07-21-2006, 08:22 AM
my wife is still learning, and occas. does some dumb s#!t like almost run me over
:uglyhamme Wait, why was that funny? :D

chudson
07-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Just like everyone is sayin, teach her and don't forget to throw in there at least once " how much your boat means to you " it'll make her feel pretty special thinking that you want her to be a part of it. Then if she does put a ding on the boat "beat the snot out of her". Not really, just kiddin. Ya know nealing behind the drivers seat showing her how to drive can be alot of fun too!!! Plus you'll look like a prince in everyone else's eyes also, and that don't hurt a thing.

sanjuan23
07-21-2006, 08:32 AM
It's a great idea to teach your girlfriend or signifigant other to drive. 3 reasons.

1-You get to teach her the way you want to be pulled no bad habits to break from the start.;)
2-Saftey, you never know when or if you will need someone else to drive the boat.
3-You can sit back check her out while she is having a blast crusing down the river/across the lake, enjoying your favorite ice cold beverage after a hard run. :D

chirobum
07-21-2006, 08:39 AM
:uglyhamme Wait, why was that funny? :D

my kids were the only one's laughing

jraben8
07-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Sounds like her relatives haven't skied much either so let her practice on them and you get to teach her the way you want things done.

I love training new drivers to drive the way I want them to.

Ric
07-21-2006, 08:53 AM
how much time do we have here for training her?
if you make her learning experience stressful or agonizing, she will not ever want to drive and then you are SOL

can you see yourself going to the lake and NOT skiing? I do it all the time with the kids. You can actually go have a great time with all those folks and never put on a ski if you try..

I agree that letting a buncha yahoos that have never driven, get behind the wheel of your prostar is a bad idea... especially if you aren't in the boat to fix an issue when it arises.

3event
07-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Teach the wife.

But be open to "sacrificing yourself" for the family weekend, it should be worth a LOT of points, and at least you can be out on the water.

Do you have Perfect Pass? It IS the "MARRIAGE SAVER" as far as teaching the wife to drive goes. My wife has learned to drive in the past 2yrs, and I try to show her what I'm doing when I pull other people - and call her attention to techniques / situations.

I let her pull me initially only when the lake was pretty empty. And I always tell her - if someone cuts you off or traffic gets bad, or you see a situation getting bad, just stop the boat (as long as you check for traffic behind first). I am usually on shortline and can keep holding on/pull myself in if need be.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Go and teach them to drive. Everyone has to learn, and so what if its gonna cost some gas money. Skiing is like Pizza, its never bad, just sometimes its better than others. Its summer, life is short, get out on the water and enjoy life. It may not be the best tow you ever had, but at least your out on the water doing what you enjoy. I grab any chance I can to get out there. Rookie boat driver or not. Just go and be patient, and have fun!:)

jlf
07-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Teach someone to drive. Last summer I took the boat out for the first time by myself, without my husband, I took a bunch of girlfriends from work they had never driven a boat or skied/wakeboarded. We had a blast. I taught them to drive so I could get a little water time. I had a few "hot" starts on my wakeboard. I am a good enough rider that I was able to deal with that, not my best runs, but it was still fun. I will say the girls were pretty proud of themselves. I wouldn't have let them pulled anyone but me, so I spent a lot of time behind the wheel that day, but oh well. One of the girls has done a little pulling this year too, she still needs work but she gets better all the time. I will say if you have perfect pass or the MC speed control it is a great help to teach new people to drive. They really only have to worry about what is in front of them. Teach someone to drive, do not expect perfect pulls from them and you'll have fun.

QBhater
07-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Teaching her how to drive or pull a waterskier sure beats teaching her how to back up a trailer!!!
Suck it up!! Turn up the tunes and drag her family around for the weekend

jraben8
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
I have spent half of my days on the water this year driving only. Granted, I enjoy driving these things as much as I do skiing them. The point is to enjoy the company and everyone will learn something from and about each other.

Danimal
07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Be the hero with the outlaws... I mean inlaws and teach her brother how to pull. Just be patient.

Granite_33
07-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Teach her and encourage her.

Proper acceleration to pull you up.
Hold speed. (extremely easy in an MC)
Drive straight.
Keep an eye on the mirror.
Teach her how to stop / turn around for minimal wake creation after you fall.

You'll be a hero in her parents eyes........."oooohhhhhh he trusts her with his boat......they must be getting serious"

Being too possessive makes you look like an anal retentive freak.

nroland
07-21-2006, 10:50 AM
I agree with all the comments - - teach her.

My wife had never driven a boat (of any kind) before we got out 197. I'd been driving and pulling skiers ever since I could see over the wheel (sitting on a boat cushion).

She had the crash course because she's the one who drives it on the trailer. And does a great job driving now. Just remember to keep things simple, and don't give too many instructions (a few should do it). And remember if something happens, it happens, she didn't try to do it. Boats can always be fixed (relationships or people can't always).
:)

pilot02
07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Just let her go down!:D

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

Ric
07-21-2006, 11:28 AM
black, is your boat running ?

Faded & X9-Rated
07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
TEACH HER!!! My girlfriend is the ONLY person I trust to drive the boat & pull me, unless i'm with my buddies who have wakeboard boats

trickskier
07-21-2006, 12:08 PM
I agree, teach her, it will be the best thing for your relationship. However, if she makes a mistake do not criticize her, VERY BAD for the RELATIONSHIP. No matter what, tell her it was a good pull and give her some pointers on how to improve. I tought my wife and she excellent! My daughter is 16 and improving evertime but my 14 year old son is another story!

McFire
07-21-2006, 01:31 PM
I agree with the above: teach her to pull you. Odds are good she will not get it perfect for some time.

I am teaching my wife to pull skiers (mostly me). Her biggest concern: "you are a perfectionist and I'll not be perfect". I tell her I don't care. If I can get her to be my driver, I'll never miss a ski run because no one can drive.

east tx skier
07-21-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree she should be taught to be your driver. As for who does the teaching, that really depends on lots of things. In most cases, I'd suggest having someone else do the teaching as such things tend to put strain on relationships. For example, if you happen to know an old guy who has been driving ski boats all his life, that'd be a good person to have do the teaching. Harder to argue with the old man of the lake.

captain planet
07-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Teach her how to drive. You'll thank yourself later for teaching another dirver.

My wife can pull me wakeboarding and barefooting off the boom, but she can't quite get that straight line down for slalom yet, but she's close. Teaching her how to drive is one of the best things I ever did.

cwright
07-21-2006, 04:13 PM
been there and done that one. I had to turn the wheel over to my wife many times and suffer a less than killer run as a result. I would get all mad and correct from behind the boat, get frustrated, throw the handle, and pretty much make sure no one would ever want to pull me. That didn't work out so well for me. Now I turn the whell over to her, and suffer with a smile. I've learnde not to be so uptight about the fact she is pulling me through chop when glass is 100 feet to the right. Whatever. Relax and find happiness in the fact that your behind the boat. She will improve and then you get more pulls.

blackbeauty02
07-21-2006, 04:21 PM
can you see yourself going to the lake and NOT skiing? I do it all the time with the kids. You can actually go have a great time with all those folks and never put on a ski if you try..

go to the lake and not board? whoa...that has never crossed my mind. j/k it wouldn't be that bad but i really don't like the idea of spending $150 in gas to pull her, her bro, and cousins. not to mention all the problems i've had this summer (which are all finally fixed) so i've only boarded behind my boat 4 times in 4 months. so i'm really anxious. i prob will drag it down there and try and teach her while she pulls her brother. problem with that is he's never boarded and will constantly be falling so she won't get the feel for driving around for an extended period of time. on the plus side it is a slow weekend and their cove is always empty. we'll see. i'll post up after the weekend if i'm still alive.