PDA

View Full Version : Pinned Temp Gauge???

boarder949
07-21-2006, 12:31 AM
As soon as power is sent to the gauges my temp gauge becomes pegged. Its been my experience that a bad sending unit can cause this so I switched it out with no luck. Any suggestions are appreciated before I try a new gauge Thanks

rektek
07-21-2006, 02:37 AM
Border,
is it a single wire temp sender ? what happens if you unplug the sender and turn the key on ? any other gauge faults ? post more details

Jeff

boarder949
07-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Sorry that was vague...Yes its a single wire temp gauge and it does NOT pin out when the wire is dissconnected from the sending unit. It is the only VDO gauge on my 87 tristar thats having that problem. (Although the tach is reading low I think that is a seperate issue...could use advise on that one too) Thanks again for any help!!

butter
07-21-2006, 06:01 PM
If the sending unit is ok, then it sounds like the wire from the gauge to the sending unit is grounded out somewhere, which will peg the gauge. Is the sending unit wire in good shape? Or is the insulation brittle/broken anywhere?

rektek
07-21-2006, 10:40 PM
if the wire was grounded fulltime it wouldn't matter if you unplugged it of not, so I'd say you have a sender issue, have a ohm meter ? measure the sender from the terminal to the sender body, post your results. most boat fuel senders are 0-300 ohms, 0 being full.

sounds like your float is stuck.

lots of fuel sender issues this year, crazy.

cheers
jeff

butter
07-23-2006, 02:10 AM
if the wire was grounded fulltime it wouldn't matter if you unplugged it of not...
good point.

I second rektek's ohm meter suggestion.

good luck!