PDA

View Full Version : binding screw stripped out...need advice

richardsoncd
07-20-2006, 04:41 PM
One of the holes in my ski is stripped, it doesn't have the little metal insert, therefore it won't hold pressure on the screw for my rear binding....how do I fix this problem?

LakePirate
07-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Call Mike at Charlotte MC and order a Monza.

Kidding.

PM at ya.

Or not Clean out your PMs.

richardsoncd
07-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Call Mike at Charlotte MC and order a Monza.

Kidding.

PM at ya.

Or not Clean out your PMs.

Done annnnnd done

east tx skier
07-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Why not epoxy the hole and reset the screw?

richardsoncd
07-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Do I need to get a metal insert or just epoxy, drill a pilot hole, then screw directly into hardened epoxy?

east tx skier
07-20-2006, 05:56 PM
You can get metal inserts. I think that would be a better way to go if you think the layup of the ski will support them.

From the Nicholl's Forum

Go to McFeelys.com order part #3603-BI-D (brass Threaded inserts)$8.60 & part#3603-PD (driver)$14.95
You just drill a 1/4" hole, put the driver in a drill, and screw the insert in. When the insert gets to the proper depth it clears the dowel pins on the driver and your done.

Here's one for replacing an insert (from Nicholl's)

Use a mini grinder and round out the hole like a dentist would do to a tooth and then set a new insert in the hole with epoxy. It's important to bore out the hole UNDER the top layer which will then enhance the security of the insert.

scott88prostar
07-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey Bud nice signature dude...I have used stainless steel screws and drive em right in...you should have some of the insert that work

Tryin-again
07-20-2006, 11:24 PM
If it's the newer type --

in 93 I was renting - several before I bought - you know the game - anyway the boots attached thru the bottom.... Sunday morning I had a Redline -cooking along - a little harder than my actual skill level at the time - anyway - crashed/burned ripped out of Double boots ---- ripped a cut out of the ball of my foot.... from the instep to the big toe..... split open about 1" wide - got 10 "footbal laces" in the sole(ball) of the foot - the binding screw had backed out........

so if is old style - thru the bottom - trash the S.O.B.:mad:

Brent
07-21-2006, 12:16 AM
If you are using sheet metal screws,you can break a golf tee or other small piece of wood in the hole to give the screw something to gain purchase on!

PeteS
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Do what Eastie said. Just make sure you clean out the hole very well prior to installing the insert. Or else the epoxy won't have a strong bond to the ski.

Use a quality two-part marine epoxy, I like the West System product. Let it sit over night before checking for strength, and be careful when you tighten down your binding screw into the insert, as you don't want to over tighten and pull it out. Let me know if you have any questions -- I've had to do a few over the years.

88 PS190
07-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I didn't catch what the previous screw retention was, if its just a stripped sheet metal screw hole i'd epoxy and replace, if its an insert i'd do the insert route, but i'd not mix and match, ie. one machine screw and 10 sheet metals in the ski. it'd be hokey.

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 03:46 PM
A good way to keep screws from backing out of inserts is to put a dab of silicone sealant on the end of the screw. Keeps it from turning, but you can unscrew it pretty easily.