PDA

View Full Version : General Motors help needed....long story:(

milkmania
07-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Who was the new user that had GM Service Manager in his profile?
I recall somthing he was talking about, but have yet to find him:(, and someone mentioned with his credentials he should know what he was talking about.....seems like California area....

edit: found him.....rektek http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=811

anyway, other GM people out there may be able to help me.

1997 Chevrolet Suburban 99,000 miles, VIN# 3GNFK16R5VG165262
May 30th. bought a rebuilt power steering pump from O'Reiley's $102.00 and $50.00 core charge. Had it installed by a local mechanic that I trust. $110.00 labor.
The pump started flaking out a week later... At idle, the steering wheel is impossible to move, move up past idle and all is normal.
The mechanic said get another one from O'Reiley's and he'd replace it, and charge labor again. But, he said he'd prefer we bought a new GM power steering pump from the dealership.

Was talking to the dealership and found out that they'd warranty parts & labor for 1 year, so I said let's order it and I'll have the dealership install it.

This is where things went south!
GM had a redesign on the pump, and added an "actuator" to the pump as the fix. I said ok, let's order the pump and actuator and put it on.
Another snag, GM discontinued the pump!
Well, after 3 days working through a parts locator, the lady (parts manager for years) told me it is impossible to find any GM dealership with a NEW pump sitting on their shelf.
So, today we tried the dealership's suggestion of installing the actuator... they got it tore down, and called telling me the belt was bad and the idler was bad.
I said, let's install it and we can eliminate those being the problem.
Got it all put back together, with the original O'reilley's rebuilt pump, and had the same problems. Could not turn the wheel at idle:(

So, the service manager calls and says, it's acting the same way....that'll be $355.02. I said OK, we gambled and lost, but we learned that the actuator wasn't the problem.

I went down to the dealership and as I was talking to the service manager, he offered to install another O'Reilley's pump with the labor ON HIS DIME!
I said, OK, that's the only option we have left.

Now, my question....
GM started the Vortec 350 around 1996 (my 1995 doesn't have Vortec) and carried it through I believe 1999, how is it possible to have SO MANY trucks/suburbans on the road with power steering pumps faulty and to discontinue the pump?

Also, my hat's off to the service manager that was willing to eat the labor after the gamble proved bad!:headbang:
105 degrees today, and their shop is not air conditioned!

billr
07-20-2006, 09:11 AM
I had a '99 with what was supposed to be a bad pump. Turned out to be a "steering wheel sensor" . About $85 installed by the dealer. Don't know if this applies to you or not.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Gee Milk, I thought you were gonna say "Need help with my suburban, it seems to attract snakes, what should I do?";)

Ric
07-20-2006, 11:13 AM
could be the fetzer valve

I think LarryP is a GM tech, of course ump is the office boy at a GM dealer and there is always Jimn's infinite wisdom. Oh and wakegirl's husband is a GM tech, but we banned her a long time ago.

JimN
07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
So, the pump was replaced- was all of the fluid drained and replaced? There are a couple of valves in the rack and they can stick, IIRC. Mine has a hitch in its git-along when it gets really cold and after it moves, everything is fine, but my truck is a 1990. I can't see any reason why the Vortec would have anything to do with the steering.

07-20-2006, 11:45 AM
could be the fetzer valve

I think LarryP is a GM tech, of course ump is the office boy at a GM dealer and there is always Jimn's infinite wisdom. Oh and wakegirl's husband is a GM tech, but we banned her a long time ago.
Apply some 3 in 1 oil on some gauze pads to that Fetzer. and I'm gonna need 3 or 4 gallons of antifreeze, preferably Prestone.....No, no, make that Quaker State. Im gonna need some 30 weight ball bearings.

dog paw
07-20-2006, 11:46 AM
So, the pump was replaced- was all of the fluid drained and replaced? There are a couple of valves in the rack and they can stick, IIRC. Mine has a hitch in its git-along when it gets really cold and after it moves, everything is fine, but my truck is a 1990. I can't see any reason why the Vortec would have anything to do with the steering.

No rack on this bad boy its old school:D

I could not beleive that pump was discontinued so I checked.... YEP SOB It shows a 88990466 and a 88990468 with Hydroboost
We have very little problems out of em. Sometimes a shaft will twist off from dogging it but other than that... We do se a lot of position sensors crap out like bill said but it usually does not inhibit assist at a standstill You might have a bad EVO (the thingy with the wires on it @ the back of the pump) That varies the oil flow as the PCM sees fit. Make sure theres nothing simple going on like a tight ball joint or linkage binding you up. Worst case is that you might have a spool valve, or seal in the box. In that case a whole steering box would be in order. I gotta scoot if theres anyting I can help with give me a shout

Bob.
Shop forman, Burdette bros Pontiac

JimN
07-20-2006, 12:09 PM
'97 is old school? WOW! Mine, being a '90 must be frickin' ancient! I have no wires on mine and it's original to the truck, which is from PHX and had a ton of miles on it when I bought it 5 years ago.

rektek
07-20-2006, 12:40 PM
GM starts dropping parts from the catalog around
10yrs so I'm not surprised by this.

if it's at a dealer they should be able to diagnose it in short order without changing a bunch of parts !
has anyone put a pressure gauge on it ? not sure if a 97 has PS diagnostics to set fault codes but it sure could be checked rather quickly.

it does sound like a poor rebuild of the pump if it lasted a week, finding quality rebuilt parts is really getting harder, even the vendors the dealers use are having issues with quality control, the car company I work for has actually had to go in and subsidize the rebuilding vendors to achieve the kind of quality control that has been missing in recent years.

Jeff

milkmania
07-20-2006, 12:42 PM
So, the pump was replaced- was all of the fluid drained and replaced? yes, and flushed and drained again, since we were having so many problems.
There are a couple of valves in the rack and they can stick, IIRC. Mine has a hitch in its git-along when it gets really cold and after it moves, everything is fine, but my truck is a 1990.

I can't see any reason why the Vortec would have anything to do with the steering. The story I'm getting is they redesigned the power steering pump mounts along with the other accessories for the Vortec engine...AC Mounts, Alternator mounts, etc. haven't confirmed myself:(

[quote=dog paw]No rack on this bad boy its old school:D

I could not beleive that pump was discontinued so I checked.... YEP SOB It shows a 88990466 and a 88990468 with Hydroboost
We have very little problems out of em. Sometimes a shaft will twist off from dogging it but other than that... We do se a lot of position sensors crap out like bill said but it usually does not inhibit assist at a standstill You might have a bad EVO (the thingy with the wires on it @ the back of the pump) That varies the oil flow as the PCM sees fit. Make sure theres nothing simple going on like a tight ball joint or linkage binding you up. Worst case is that you might have a spool valve, or seal in the box. In that case a whole steering box would be in order. I gotta scoot if theres anyting I can help with give me a shout.

Bob.
Shop forman, Burdette bros Pontiac

now that you mention it....

...for the wife
just looked at an 06 Pontiac Montana SV6 with 15,000 miles.
CD\MP3 player, electric side passenger door, back-up sensors, DVD player with wireless headphones.

The guy's asking $16,900.... is that a fair price? most places I look show a MSRP of $24,600ish
What do you see as far as warranty work on these coming back to the dealership?
(He says GM claims it'll pull the Prostar 190 no problem)

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 12:45 PM
So does "discontinued" ALWAYS have to mean there are NONE left for you to buy?
So what if it's discontinued, that should just mean they stopped making them. Or am I wrong.

JimN
07-20-2006, 12:45 PM
I was under the impression that the Vortec heads were the main difference, then some internal parts were improved but I never heard that the accessory mount bolt holes were changed.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Probably the accessory mounts themselves changed.

jakethebt
07-20-2006, 01:05 PM
If you are looking for used parts... try

www.car-part.com

It is a junk yard search engine. It also knows what other vehicles out there are exact matchs for the same part. IE a GMC and a Chevy... You may not want to go this route, but it is another option and may be better than the aftermarket part for quality...

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 01:09 PM
AND there is always CARPART (http://www.carpart.com/index.html) with no - ;) oem parts

97 pump? (http://www.carpart.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc?_cmd=epccat_VehicleWHD&cookieID=1UR0PYVKB1UR0PZA7I&mode=PA&subcatid=141@@Pwr%20Strg%20Pump,%20Hose%20and%20Ki ts&clientid=carpart)

JimN
07-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Another one is www.junkyarddog.com and they ship nationwide.

milkmania
07-20-2006, 01:44 PM
So does "discontinued" ALWAYS have to mean there are NONE left for you to buy?
So what if it's discontinued, that should just mean they stopped making them. Or am I wrong.

I'm guessing the market is just feeding itself now with cores & rebuilds:confused:

the parts lady I referred to was telling me with the locator service, she would be able to search if dealers had discontinued items inventoried on their shelves...
but, she also reminded me that if we did find a dealer that's stocking a discontinued item, it was at the dealer's discretion as to what the price of the part might be... since it would not be in GM's database, they could charge whatever they wanted:(

no such luck as of yet

07-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Another one is www.junkyarddog.com and they ship nationwide.
you mean this guy?;)
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/j/junkyarddog/07.jpg

dog paw
07-20-2006, 02:56 PM
'97 is old school? WOW! Mine, being a '90 must be frickin' ancient! I have no wires on mine and it's original to the truck, which is from PHX and had a ton of miles on it when I bought it 5 years ago.

Sucks don't it LOL! Parts are stopped before its payed off.... We were looking at those space shuttle bay door hinges on a 06 G6 hardtop convertible on the parts PC and daymed if they are not dicontinued already.... I'm sure something is being changed on those though

dog paw
07-20-2006, 03:14 PM
[quote=JimN]

[/COLOR]

now that you mention it....

...for the wife
just looked at an 06 Pontiac Montana SV6 with 15,000 miles.
CD\MP3 player, electric side passenger door, back-up sensors, DVD player with wireless headphones.

The guy's asking $16,900.... is that a fair price? most places I look show a MSRP of $24,600ish
What do you see as far as warranty work on these coming back to the dealership?
(He says GM claims it'll pull the Prostar 190 no problem)

I ran that number by sales and he said that was a hell of a deal, said it must have been stripped....8p Sounds good. If you PM me your email I can send you the towing specs on it. I cant post a HTML doc here. I don't know if I would tow a MC with it. After useing a Powerstroke even my Yukon seems substandard:D As far as late model SV6 problems we see alot of sliding door failures. They are a SOB. If a hack has worked on it its a double SOB:( A couple software updates for HVAC and I beleive the backup warning system. Other than that they are holding there own. We had alot of intake coolant leak trouble on the older 3.4's but that seems to be passed.