PDA

View Full Version : Loose Steering

Jimperry
07-19-2006, 05:47 PM
I have a "new to me" 2000 PS 190 and have noticed that when pulling skiers through the slalom course the steering seems loose and has some play in it. Is there some way to tighten it up and reduce the play or what should be done?

Jimperry
07-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Can anybody give me some advice on my steering problem??

Jimperry
07-19-2006, 10:27 PM
I have a 2000 PS 190 Sammy and the steering seems loose and has some play in it. It's especially noticeable when pulling through the course. Is there any adjustment I can make? What do you suggest??

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Was it okay before and has loosened since it is a new-to-you boat do you not know? If the former, you may want to hit the zert fittings on the steering cable and rudder with some marine grease. Probably a good idea either way. If it's new to you, a little grind on the rudder could be in order. There is a picture of the factory grind on my rudder that gives it a nice rightward pull in the FAQ section linked in my signature.

Jimperry
07-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the reply. The steering is like like it has been since I have had the boat for about two months. Will grease take the play out of the steering? What is "grind" on the rudder? I'll try to find the picture in your link.

Thanks, jp

bcampbe7
07-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. The steering is like like it has been since I have had the boat for about two months. Will grease take the play out of the steering? What is "grind" on the rudder? I'll try to find the picture in your link.

Thanks, jp

It may, if the cable has never been greased. Just don't go overboard with the grease (no pun intended). Do one squirt in each fitting (there are 3, I think) and check. I would not put more than 3 squirts in each fitting.
Take a picture of your rudder from each side and post them here. We may be able to tell if yours has been altered.

east tx skier
07-20-2006, 11:22 AM
As far as grease goes, this is what I do. Turn the wheel all the way to one side, give the fittings a couple of shots of grease, put some towels under the fittings, then turn the wheel all the way the other direction. Give it another shot, and turn the wheel again. Clean up the grease from the fittings and you're good. It is typically messy so make sure you keep things covered.

Jimperry
07-20-2006, 01:03 PM
I'll try the greese when I go to the lake on Saturday. Where are the fittings located?

east tx skier
07-20-2006, 01:07 PM
The setup on your boat is a little different, but the fittings are pretty much in the same place. You'll need a flexyhose fitting for the grease gun to get the one by the rudder as your seat back doesn't come out like mine does. Just checked the manual (98), which reccommends two full shots of grease per fitting.

Jimperry
07-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the help. Great picture. I'll give it a few shots in each fitting and see what happens. Hopefully it will tighten things up a bit.

Thanks again, jp

east tx skier
07-20-2006, 01:55 PM
If you don't like the neutral steering, I don't think it'll change things all that much. Still good to do though. Loading the rudder will make a difference. Just don't let go of the wheel at speed. :) Once you get used to a good rightward pull, you won't want anything else.

Jesus_Freak
03-09-2007, 09:28 AM
The setup on your boat is a little different, but the fittings are pretty much in the same place. You'll need a flexyhose fitting for the grease gun to get the one by the rudder as your seat back doesn't come out like mine does. Just checked the manual (98), which reccommends two full shots of grease per fitting.

The rear-most fitting (under the fuel tank) in my 94 205 will not "accept" grease, regardless of the rudder position. Has anyone had this trouble, maybe due to clearances in the bearings, or do I have a toasted fitting?

Thanks.

east tx skier
03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
All I can tell you is that mine will take it.

Jesus_Freak
03-09-2007, 11:47 AM
All I can tell you is that mine will take it.

10-4. Thanks. I guess I will just pull the fitting out and see what is a goin' on.

JLeuck64
03-09-2007, 08:44 PM
If you're talking about the zerk fitting on the rudder port I would agree. It doesn't usually take very much grease due to the close tolerances. I don't think you can actually see it in the picture posted because it is just out of view.
Regards,

Jerseydave
03-09-2007, 10:44 PM
If you can't pump the handle on your grease gun, the zerk fitting is most likely stuck. You'll need to unscrew it with a socket or wrench and install a new one. (make sure it's the kind that is threaded in)

JKTX21
03-09-2007, 10:59 PM
My rudder had a little weeble-wobble a while back... The gear just needed to be tightened up.

Also, I forgot why the rudder is asymmetric? Someone want to remind me? :)

Jesus_Freak
03-11-2007, 04:18 AM
FWIW:

Yes, I assumed it was either related to tolerance or a plugged fitting. I pulled the fitting. I checked the fitting and the volume immediately adjacent to the fitting in the bearing housing. There was no evidence of any problem with any of the equipment. I pumped grease through the removed fitting with no problem. I reinstalled and had my son move the wheel at different rates and directions while slowly pumping. I am using one of those miniature 3oz pumps with less moment arm than larger pumps, so that probably doesnt help me. I looked later underneath the rudder and some of the old grease had squeezed out. So...it was slowly but surely taking some. Thanks.