PDA

View Full Version : 93 prostar 190 running rich ?

rob935
07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi guys i have just entered the wonderfull world of mastercraft after a number of years with a couple of wellcrafts, all i can say is awesome sorry i didnt buy one sooner.....just given boat a change of oil and new plugs filters etc. but it seems to be a bit smoky and has a distinct smell of gas fumes so i think it may be running rich so just wondering how i correct this or if i am on the right track,

any help would be great thanks.

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Welcome.

I just got a fuel leak corrected on my 93. Have you ruled out a leak? In my case, the person who installed the new intake manifold over torqued the fuel line where it connected to the carb. If you have any brown stains on your manifold, you may have a small leak.

There is a tech section on www.skidim.com with very straight forward instructions on adjusting a holley.

rob935
07-19-2006, 12:21 PM
no never considered it could be a leak...there are some brown stains around the manifold /risers which just led me to think that the gaskets need replacing (have them on order) if so where would the leak be located ??

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm sorry, I meant intake manifold. I had a little brown pool of gas on the intake manifold underneath the fuel line to the carb. The ones on the risers is from the gaskets (good luck with those bolts).

As for where to look, it depends on your carb a little. Do you have the 250 hp 351 or the 285 hp 351 HO?

rob935
07-21-2006, 04:56 AM
i have the 280 hp ...

TC G
08-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Welcome.

I just got a fuel leak corrected on my 93. Have you ruled out a leak? In my case, the person who installed the new intake manifold over torqued the fuel line where it connected to the carb. If you have any brown stains on your manifold, you may have a small leak.

There is a tech section on www.skidim.com with very straight forward instructions on adjusting a holley.
I think I have the exact same problem that you had ETS. How did you fix the leak going into the carb?

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
I think I have the exact same problem that you had ETS. How did you fix the leak going into the carb?

Took it to my dealer. Fuel line was over torqued. They backed it off and retightened it to the correct torque spec, whatever that may be (don't know personally). I'm keeping an eye on it, but the gas smell is gone.

TC G
08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Took it to my dealer. Fuel line was over torqued. They backed it off and retightened it to the correct torque spec, whatever that may be (don't know personally). I'm keeping an eye on it, but the gas smell is gone.
Thanks ETS. I'll give that a try.