PDA

View Full Version : Switching the teak to fiberglass plat form.

boatless
07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Hello every one,

I am switching out my teak plat form with a fiberglass plat form on my 2005 197 prostar. Any idea I should follow to make the process a lot easier ? How far does the plat form has to be from the boat so that it won't scratch the jel coat ? Does anyone has any close up pictures of their platform on a boat so I can take a look at ?

Thanks,

boatless

DemolitionMan
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Can I Ask Why You Are Doing That? The Teak Looks The Best.

erkoehler
07-19-2006, 01:01 PM
The platform should be about a fingers width off the back of the boat.

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 01:10 PM
I'll store your teak for you.

bcampbe7
07-19-2006, 01:13 PM
One other bit of advice:
Replace the non-slip black rubber on the fiberglass platform with what AirJunky sells.

http://airjunky.com/traxxed/

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 01:14 PM
I think its traxx (http://airjunky.com/2.htm).

bigmac
07-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Hello every one,

I am switching out my teak plat form with a fiberglass plat form on my 2005 197 prostar. Any idea I should follow to make the process a lot easier ? How far does the plat form has to be from the boat so that it won't scratch the jel coat ? Does anyone has any close up pictures of their platform on a boat so I can take a look at ?

I was under the impression that the teak platform used the same mounting brackets as the fiberglass one, and that switching them meant just slipping the new one into the old brackets. Not true?

I agree with you in that I vastly prefer the appearance of the fiberglass platform to the teak. One drawback to the fiberglass is that the gelcoat does chip fairly easily, especially along the lower edge, from fins on skis as well as hydrofoils. I have a buddy who solved that by slitting some black rubber fuel line tubing and silicone-gluing it along that lower edge. I kind of like the looks of that, and it's definitely functional.

Gator Grip or some other softer material would be nice, but I'd rather find some nice sheets of nylon-lined neoprene 1/4 inch thick or so. Note that 2005 and earlier fiberglass platforms had a rubber mat that tended to rub off black stuff which was then tracked all over the white vinyl of the rear pad and seats. MasterCraft replaced that stuff with a more stable material in 2006. They just sent me some new 2006 rubber material - all I have to do is peel off the old stuff and glue on the new stuff :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
07-19-2006, 01:23 PM
If I were you, I would go ahead and get rid of that junky looking wooden thing. I'll give you $50 for it rather than you just throw it in the trash!

boatless
07-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Yellow,
The reason is, it match the color of the boat. :D

Erk,
Thanks again for the info.

East,
It is too far a drive to bring it to your place.

Bcamp,
Why do you think I need to replace the MC rubber with other material ? Are you talking about the black stain on people feet ? I thought MC has solve that problem and put new material on the plat form.

TMC,
You big spender you, :D

Bigmac,
I have to drill a few holes to the new plat form. I do like the looks of the fiberglass plat form also.

bcampbe7
07-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Yellow,
The reason is, it match the color of the boat. :D

Erk,
Thanks again for the info.

East,
It is too far a drive to bring it to your place.

Bcamp,
Why do you think I need to replace the MC rubber with other material ? Are you talking about the black stain on people feet ? I thought MC has solve that problem and put new material on the plat form.

TMC,
You big spender you, :D

Bigmac,
I have to drill a few holes to the new plat form. I do like the looks of the fiberglass plat form also.

I wasn't aware that they had fixed that, but yeah my suggestion was due to black rubbing off of the rubber and getting onto the interior.

When did they start using a different material? I know that on a 2003 model this still occurs.

bigmac
07-19-2006, 01:59 PM
I wasn't aware that they had fixed that, but yeah my suggestion was due to black rubbing off of the rubber and getting onto the interior.

When did they start using a different material? I know that on a 2003 model this still occurs.

It was a problem through 2005. John Dorton told me that the supplier switched materials after MasterCraft spec'd it. They were testing new stuff until the spring of this year and reportedly found replacment rubber that doesn't do that. MasterCraft sent me some new pre-cut stuff, but I haven't got around to putting it on yet - too big a hassle while the boat is in the lift and it means the boat would be out of commission until the job is done. I'm daunted by the pain of peeling off the old stuff, sanding the residue, and gluing the new stuff off in a reasonable time frame.

http://mccollister.info/mat.jpg

ridehype4life
07-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Speaking of platforms, is there supposed to be a little bit of 'slop' in the brackets of the teak platform? When the water is even a tiny bit choppy and the boat is not moving, the 'inner platform brackets' are constantly banging against the outer slotted brackets, causing a lot of noise.
Thanks

MarkP
07-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I have a little slop too. I remember someone on here used a thin rubber insert to quiet his a little..

TMCNo1
07-19-2006, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=boatless]

TMC,
You big spender you,

QUOTE]

I could always use a extra platform to modify and treat with transmission fluid and turn it into a "Show" platform. :confused: The original platform on our boat just doesn't look the same as it did 17 years ago!:rolleyes:
My garbageman has had no luck in finding one for me, that someone is throwing away.:eek:
:uglyhamme

TMCNo1
07-19-2006, 03:03 PM
I'll go $75 and I'll pay the shipping too! Don't get no better than that!

mcX2728
07-19-2006, 03:47 PM
We just switched our fiberglass platform out for a teak on our X2. The fiberglass was alot smaller than the new teak. plus the rubber mat got extremely hot in the sun. You just unscrew the brackets and then place the new one on and screw it in. simple

boatless
07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, just found out the brackets for teak are longer than the brackets for the fiberglass plat form. If you are placing the teak platform on a shorter brackets, might put some stress on the brackets.

boatless.

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 01:05 AM
It was a problem through 2005. John Dorton told me that the supplier switched materials after MasterCraft spec'd it. They were testing new stuff until the spring of this year and reportedly found replacment rubber that doesn't do that. MasterCraft sent me some new pre-cut stuff, but I haven't got around to putting it on yet - too big a hassle while the boat is in the lift and it means the boat would be out of commission until the job is done. I'm daunted by the pain of peeling off the old stuff, sanding the residue, and gluing the new stuff off in a reasonable time frame.

http://mccollister.info/mat.jpg

Bigmac is that a shameless plug for Amsoil??:rolleyes:

crdickey
07-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Well, just found out the brackets for teak are longer than the brackets for the fiberglass plat form. If you are placing the teak platform on a shorter brackets, might put some stress on the brackets.

boatless.

Brackets on the platforms are different and the fiberglass platform is not as big as the teak. It does not project out from the boat as far.

I switched to the matching fiberglass and love it! Slalom skis tend to slip around when you are trying to put both feet in high wrap bindings. Wake boarders find teak better because of the larger platform and they can sit in the trunk of the boat while putting on their boots.

I have a PS-197 2003 and had the crappy black rubber which tracked in the boat. I replaced it with Deck Dots, looks great and is very non-slip. I even made step pads for the gunnels.

bigmac
07-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Bigmac is that a shameless plug for Amsoil??:rolleyes:The image was from a thread I started about how to glue the swim platform mat down. Hooosier Bob was trying to convince me that Amsoil would be the best choice.

boatless
07-26-2006, 09:41 AM
I have the feeling that the fiberglass platform going to have a bunch of scratches and get dings so easily. So far it has a chip at the edge, I think when the dealer installing it. I will have to buy a touch up paint to cover it up. :rolleyes: I don't understand why they wouldn't make the fiberglass plat form as big as the teak. Actually the fiberglass does looks small even for the 197 prostar.

boatless.

bigmac
07-26-2006, 09:51 AM
I have the feeling that the fiberglass platform going to have a bunch of scratches and get dings so easily. So far it has a chip at the edge, I think when the dealer installing it. I will have to buy a touch up paint to cover it up. :rolleyes: I don't understand why they wouldn't make the fiberglass plat form as big as the teak. Actually the fiberglass does looks small even for the 197 prostar.

boatless.

Yes, the gel coat of the fiberglass platform chips easily, especially along the lower edge, from getting dinged with ski and hydrofoil fins. I have a buddy that siliconed some slit black fuel line tubing around that lower edge, which solved that problem.

If you're going to go to the trouble to fix it, don't use paint..go all the way and repair/color match the gel coat with a gel coat repair kit (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=20315&fcat=).

http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/large/20315L.jpg

boatless
07-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Bigmac,
Thanks, for the product info.

Can some one let me know, how far does the platform tuck underneath the boat ? My fiberglass is under the ledge and is about .25" from the back wall.

boatless.

bigmac
07-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Bigmac,
Thanks, for the product info.

Can some one let me know, how far does the platform tuck underneath the boat ? My fiberglass is under the ledge and is about .25" from the back wall.

boatless.
Yeah, that's about what mine is. It's been plenty big for my needs. If we go out with a bunch of people who want to swim, the platform is big enough to get MORE than enough people on it to overstress the mounting brackets.