PDA

View Full Version : Color of ski vest & water safety

AHUNTER
07-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Why are ski vests predominantly dark colored? After watching my kid take a spill and almost get run over by another boat over the 4th, the question came up as to why most of the new vests are black, blue, green, etc all colors of lake water. Are there any vests out there that have intensely bright colors? Or perhaps shoot of flairs when they make contact with water at over 10 miles per hour?

BTW, I have started making the kids wave their arms at full extension when they fall until the boat returns. They hate it but at least they are alive to hate.

ski_king
07-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Good question, I have wondered the same.

Back in the early 90's neon colors were popular and they could be easily seen. Problem was the sun was hard on them and the neon changed to faded pastel after 2 summers.

When I bought vests for my kids, I looked for the brighest colors I could find, but had to settle for black an navy.

The old Mae West type vests, which are typically used for emergency purposes only have always been orange.

TMCNo1
07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Brightly colored vests, wet suits, etc are like hem lines, shoes, pant legs, ties, shirt collars, they come and go as fads change. Check Overtons, Barts, Ski Limited, and any other watersports outlets, because there places that have them still and will in the future!

billr
07-19-2006, 11:17 AM
West Marine/Boat US carries them in red. I taught my kinds to take their ski and hold it up high and wave it until we got back.

SD190EVO
07-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Many years ago, back in ski camp, our instructor/driver would make us pat our head and wave an arm after a fall. This was to let him know we were ok. If you patted/waved, he took his time and slowly drove back to you. If you failed to pat, he initiated 'emergency' mode and raced back. On a private lake with only one boat, the sole purpose was to let the driver know you were ok. On a public lake, it lets other boats more easily see you. I have the same instruction on my boat for this reason. You wave your arm until I get back. If you want back on the boat, you take your ski off and wave it to let me know not to bring the rope around.

Maristar210
07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
A full splash with the edge of the wakeboard usually gets the jet-kier to pay attention where I'm at....

Steve

gr8smiles
07-19-2006, 11:36 AM
You could give them the alternative of wearing the 'orange wally special'....:D

richardsoncd
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
My pop used to make me wave my ski as high as possible after a fall or my arms if the ski wasn't close, I was by no means to ever try to retrieve my ski until the boat was beside me. Life vest have become a fashion accessory to the sport, which means dark-tough looking colors, can't say I'm not a victim of it..I love my black and blue neo vest. Maybe you can tie one of those bike flags to your kids back;)

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 12:32 PM
If I'm in the water and there's a boat coming my way, I'm waving the ski back and forth. Old habit, even when I was wearing the yellow foam vest.

3event
07-19-2006, 12:38 PM
I thought it was interesting that Bart's etc still carry those "ski belts" from days gone by that are not USCG approved. Wear one on yer head, that should be easy to spot !

Or buy a ladies vest, they still have 'em w/hot pink accents!!! The wife refused those, I had to look forever to find a ladies in black/grey.

billr
07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Sounds crazy but some states do not require the skier to wear a PVD. I guess that's why Bart's carries them.

chudson
07-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Our lake we used to ski at required a hat or a swim cap because they said it made you more visible, and it couldn't be blue because that blended into the water too much although the waters at Beautiful Lake Mattoon in IL. were pretty much a brown murky color from sediment.

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Sounds crazy but some states do not require the skier to wear a PVD. I guess that's why Bart's carries them.

Texas doesn't require the skier to wear one. You just have to have one for them in the boat. My vest isn't coast guard approved, but it floats. It also affords me some nice rib protection. I took two cartwheeling falls on Monday and just shook them off. Hope this vest lasts a while.

LakePirate
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
I thought it was interesting that Bart's etc still carry those "ski belts" from days gone by that are not USCG approved. Wear one on yer head, that should be easy to spot !

Or buy a ladies vest, they still have 'em w/hot pink accents!!! The wife refused those, I had to look forever to find a ladies in black/grey.

The ski belt makes for a good learning to swim device as well as they are fun to sit on in the lake.

ski_king
07-20-2006, 11:58 AM
The ski belt makes for a good learning to swim device as well as they are fun to sit on in the lake.
A ski belt is all I used when I was a kid. Back before USCG Approved vests were mandatory.

I lost count on how many times I went out the front and left the belt (and my trunks) behind.

milkmania
07-20-2006, 01:06 PM
our school colors are Black & Gold, so needless to say my kids were thrilled to find Black & Gold vests:o