PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Springs

Jwhitsett1129
07-19-2006, 10:55 AM
I need to replace the leaf springs on my 88 Prostar trailer. Anyone have any advice? What size springs do I need?

Thanks!

Jwhitsett1129
07-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Let me rephrase, I replaced my tires and now one is rubbing the fender. I doubt the leaf springs have ever been replaced, and wonder if that would resolve the rubbing issue, as well as give me some more clearance for the prop guard. Should I replace the springs or just add some spacers to end the rubbing?

TMCNo1
07-19-2006, 11:18 AM
You could always get the springs re-arched or make longer and stronger rear spring shackles. Most any Northern Tool outlet or local trailer shop has replacement spring or can lead you in the right direction. Try Champion Trailers, Dorsey amoung others too, for springs!

Ryan
07-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Donít just replace them with straight springs, get some convex springs rated at or slightly above the previous rating. There is some good info on this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9383&highlight=leaf+springs+change). I gained at least 4" of clearance on my prop guard.

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Or you could put a lift on there. I had some steel blocks fabricated. Aligned the axle and had the pins welded in place (in case I ever dragged it over the end of the boat ramp. Feels the same on the highway. Not noticeably different launching.

Jwhitsett1129
07-19-2006, 12:27 PM
4" really? Definitely will be going that route so I can stop leaving marks on the driveway and waking up the neighbors as I head out in the morning. Thanks for the advice.

WTRSK1R
07-19-2006, 12:29 PM
This may be a stupid question, but if the old tires were not rubbing, did you put the correct size tires on the trailer? If you were converting to metric sizing, it is possible that you went to a wider tire and the rubbing is not related to the springs as much as it is related to the size of the tire. Just a thought.

Jwhitsett1129
07-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Actually what happened is the wheel was slightly bent in a blowout I had over the weekend. I have been assured that it is not drastic enough to even worry about. New leaf springs have been on my list since I bought the boat, so I figure this gives me a reason to stop putting it off. It would really only take a half inch or so to stop the tire rubbing, and I would love to stop hearing the painful noise of the prop guard scraping pavement.