PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

vinniep
07-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Is anyone using satellite radio in their boat? Where did you mount the antenna? I have an í06 X-30 with a satellite ready radio and was considering adding it but I donít like the idea of adding the antenna. Any ideas?

Ric
07-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Bad pic of the antenna, but a gratuitous opportunity to show my boat:D

see the puck type white antenna on the port side directly in front of the windshield? I like this antenna. People don't even notice it

tommcat
07-19-2006, 09:51 AM
i have sirius in mine. i have the antenna mounted right on my dash above the gauge pod.

Ric
07-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Here is a better pic of the shakespeare puck in white

mitch
07-19-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't see it

Bad pic of the antenna, but a gratuitous opportunity to show my boat:D

see the puck type white antenna on the port side directly in front of the windshield? I like this antenna. People don't even notice it

Ric
07-19-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't see it . Good! .

mitch
07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
. Good! .

I knew that was coming :D

vinniep
07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Ric, so you ran the wire through the vent opening below the windshield. Is it just held in place with double sided tape? Thanks for the help!

Ric
07-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Sit down Vinnie... Brace yourself... I know I had to! ............. You have to drill a hole thru the deck of the boat for this type of antenna!!!!!!!!!!!! arrrrrghhhhhh!

It is made for mounting thru the deck. It has a gasket on the bottom side so that no water can come thru to the storage area. the wire runs thru the hollow stud that comes out of the bottom of the puck so that when you bolt it from under the deck, the wire is ready to go! The wire on this antenna has a pre-made connection for the sirius receiver box

WakeSeeky
07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
i have sirius in mine. i have the antenna mounted right on my dash above the gauge pod.

What he said. Got the car antenna because it's much smaller and mounted it under the windshield with industrial double-sided sticky tape. No drilling, no permanent mount, 1 1/2 years later it's still working fine. :cool:

vinniep
07-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Wake, I'd like to see that. What antenna did you purchase?

If anyone else has a suggestion of a "no drill" method and the antenna used, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ric
07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I should note that I tried the Terk marine antenna (the long white one that is supposed to pick up nicely even when installed below deck... It does not and we got this shakespeare puck type and my reception problems were over... (at least until I pull under a carport at home or a covered slip at the lake :( )

WakeSeeky
07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I think I have a picture at home, if I do I'll post it tonight or get one for you this weekend.

I'm not sure what antenna we bought, I'll have to see if I still have the paperwork. We went to Fry's and told 'em we needed a Sirius antenna/unit for the stock '05 Clarion stereo. We figured we've got an auto antenna stuck to the top of our truck and it doesn't get ruined when it rains, so it would probably be ok under the windshield. So far, so good.

Actually, the non-permanent mounting was an accident. We thought we might have to move it around a little to get clear reception. It worked fine the first try, so we figured we'd stick it on permanently once it came loose. Still waiting. :rolleyes:

WakeSeeky
07-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Well, not a great picture, it's from video, but get an idea of where the antenna is mounted. I can get a better picture this weekend, if you want.

CHaus21
07-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Where do you guys mount the SIRIUS module? I have an older SIRIUS "plug and play" unit that snaps into a cradle.

I tried using velcro to the bottom of the cradle and stuck it to the dash. Velcro held great, but after a few weekends of baking in the sun, the glue on the velcro melted and made the velcro pads worthless.

I would just use double sided tape, but I need to be able to take the cradle in and out of the boat - Especially if I get caught in rain, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

aerojt
07-20-2006, 10:36 PM
My cradle suction cups to any window, I would just do that if yours had that feature. If not look on sirius.com or xm and order a suction cup mount. Goodluck! Howard Stern rules and so does sirius

kalanic
07-20-2006, 10:42 PM
I mounted my module under the dash next to the 10" sub in the kick panel. I used the auto antenna & mounted it on the dash. It works pretty sweet.

BG1772
07-21-2006, 09:01 AM
I have an 01 X-star and mounted mine right next to the air intake vent on the driver's side. Did not have to drill any holes, just took the air hose off ran the wire up to the deck then put the air hose back on. I then took the cover plate off the vent and used a small drill bit to grind out a channel for the wire to pass through. If I ever take the antenna off, you will never see the hole. I don't have any pictures - sorry.

I believe that the signal will pass through fiberglass, so you could try mounting below the glass. Just make sure that there is no metal in the way. I never tried, but read it in a post after I had already mounted mine.

Ric
07-21-2006, 09:59 AM
reception thru the fiberglass didnt work for me (windshield, tower, and front handrails all may be the interference but there was not another logical place to try) it would pick up but cut out intermittently yet constantly

jlf
07-21-2006, 10:13 AM
We mounted ours in the same place as the picture show previouly, honestly we got rid of the satalite radio and went to an ipod, we can listen to exactly what we want when we want. We just hardwired the ipod in to the stereo and away we go.