PDA

View Full Version : Stars and Stripes History/Info ?

caden
07-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Sorry, I know most of you probably know all this but
What is the story behind the Stars & Stripes series? How long were they made? Are they just a 190 with a different color scheme? Were they limited production models? Any info would be appreciated. There are a couple of these on our lake and I always thought they were just a neat/classic looking boat.

Thanks

sanjuan23
07-19-2006, 09:13 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn:

ski_king
07-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I am not sure what was the first year to have this design, but I have seen a 72 that is stars and stripes, they continued this graphics package thru 85. There have been special edition 93's, 98's and 03's that have a simular retro package.

I am sure others will chime in with more or corrected info.

richardsoncd
07-19-2006, 09:41 AM
They are technically MasterCraft 19 Skiers, Stars and Stripes is the nickname. They made them until 1985 and the Skier was replaced with the Prostar. The hull design was the same during the 85-86 transition, and then a new mold (drastically diffrent) was used in 87. As for the first skier...I really do not know, but they have a better slalom wake then any boat I have ever skied behind...and by slalom wake I mean NO WAKE.

WilliM1940
07-19-2006, 10:10 AM
I would prefer Mastercraft should not consider bringing it back as a standard product as mentioned in a previous thread. It was Rob Shirley's boat when he started and owned Mastercraft. It ended when he left the company in '84-'85. It was a specialized boat for a specific purpose at a particular point in time, and their style is timeless, somewhat like an old mahogany Chris Craft. The graphics package was probably the first in your face presentation on any boat, but strangely patriotic kind of, with the stars and stripes. When dropped, it did set this up as being a classic, a quality boat with the balls to say so. To try and duplicate it might cheapen it.

TMCNo1
07-19-2006, 10:32 AM
There have been a couple Anniversary Limited Edition versions of the old "Stars and Stripes" theme in the past and they too will be classics in the next couple decades as they age. Hopefully MC will continue with the Anniversary Retro S/S trend in the future and never let go of the most favored graphics package in company history.

chudson
07-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I agree with WilliM, leave it alone, special editions are a great tribute but don't try a redo I don't think it would work. The new VW's look ok but they will never be a "Bug". And the Stars and Stripes wasn't tagged on it untill later was it? I remembered mine being a MasterCraft 19 Skiers / Powerslot.

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Aw, I don't think it would cheapen it too much if they just did one and gave it to me. ;)

dog paw
07-19-2006, 10:52 AM
As for the first skier...I really do not know, but they have a better slalom wake then any boat I have ever skied behind...and by slalom wake I mean NO WAKE.

That says it all! :toast:

chudson
07-19-2006, 01:22 PM
You know as far as the story behind or history of MasterCraft I thought I saw a history post somewhere within the MC web site. I looked for it again and couldn't find it.

chudson
07-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Found the post but it wasn't a history of MC as much as a request to the big guys at the top to put one together.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=150059#post150059

SKI*MC
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
They are technically MasterCraft 19 Skiers, Stars and Stripes is the nickname. They made them until 1985 and the Skier was replaced with the Prostar. The hull design was the same during the 85-86 transition, and then a new mold (drastically diffrent) was used in 87. As for the first skier...I really do not know, but they have a better slalom wake then any boat I have ever skied behind...and by slalom wake I mean NO WAKE.

I third that. Our friend has a 77, and the wake (or lack of) is nothing but a ripple and some wash. But after MC came out with the powerslot the wake got bigger and more turbulance behind the wake.

I have a question by the way, was the PowerSlot an option on the early 80's MC's? Or was it standard?

Dan K
07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
The powerslot on my 81 was an option. a great option to have I might add, the torque is notably different.

Farmer Ted
07-19-2006, 02:04 PM
I would prefer Mastercraft should not consider bringing it back as a standard product as mentioned in a previous thread. It was Rob Shirley's boat when he started and owned Mastercraft. It ended when he left the company in '84-'85. It was a specialized boat for a specific purpose at a particular point in time, and their style is timeless, somewhat like an old mahogany Chris Craft. The graphics package was probably the first in your face presentation on any boat, but strangely patriotic kind of, with the stars and stripes. When dropped, it did set this up as being a classic, a quality boat with the balls to say so. To try and duplicate it might cheapen it.

When Rob Shirley sold the company he lost any and all claims to the Stars and Stripes.

The company is still called MasterCraft, Rob Shirley didn't even want to name it that, I'd have to go dig through an old issue of Go Boating to find out what the actual name he wanted but was already taken.

I'm sure back in the day after he sold out, the quickest way to show "under new management" was to redecorate

As for cheapening, how can the 190/197 hull of today cheapen anything? This is the best hull ever and the feedback from the dealers here on the board MC is in now hurry to change the world record hull

Bringing back the S&S would be a great way to send a message to all the boat manufacturers that like to copy, "copy this"

Stars and Stripes is MasterCraft

The S&S should be an option in 2007 and it should mirror the old boats exactly, no fat in the middle skinny on the end stripe, no streaming flags over the stripe, just plain and simple stars and bars.

richardsoncd
07-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Bringing back the S&S would be a great way to send a message to all the boat manufacturers that like to copy, "copy this"

Stars and Stripes is MasterCraft

The S&S should be an option in 2007 and it should mirror the old boats exactly, no fat in the middle skinny on the end stripe, no streaming flags over the stripe, just plain and simple stars and bars.

As an S&S owner who loves this model, I think the anniversary models are sweet, but Ted said it best....as for being an option, why not, if you really wanted it, you could get the graphics installed regardless of MC doing it, so it might as well be professionally designed by the best boat company around. It won't in anyway damage the value or desireability of a classic S&S, it is an entirely diffrent boat (190 vs S&S)

G-man
07-19-2006, 03:21 PM

That would be why the 93 was my favorite edition

Farmer Ted
07-19-2006, 05:51 PM
That would be why the 93 was my favorite edition

I remember seeing the '93 Stars and Stripes in Aug of 92 at the Bud Pro Tour in the Twin Cities. I was about 30 days from leaving for Japan, that was supposed to be a two year stint.....back then I was YDaFoC but always new I'd own one some day

...11 years later I returned to the state and got a 98 Stars and Stripes, nice looking boat but it doesn't compare to the 93 S&S that's a classic but as the current theme of everything is going retro I think bringing back the classic S&S would be a huge success that would really put the copycats in their place.

also as far as Rob Shirley goes, from the July/August Boatinglife article "Why Are Boats So Craft-y?

..."Rob Shirley was a promotional water-ski instructor for Correct Craft in the 1960s before he built the first MasterCraft. But the name he really wanted, SkiCraft was already taken. "The word Master' meant a lot to skiers at that time because in the rating system it meant you were in the top rung of athletes," Shriley says.

JEREMY79
07-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I dont think that doing a new S&S model would devalue the older boats any.

The new Mustangs or Chargers didnt hurt the old ones. Dont look good IMO but, didnt hurt the old ones

You cant hurt a classic

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 09:52 PM
I remember seeing the '93 Stars and Stripes in Aug of 92 at the Bud Pro Tour in the Twin Cities. I was about 30 days from leaving for Japan, that was supposed to be a two year stint.....back then I was YDaFoC but always new I'd own one some day

...11 years later I returned to the state and got a 98 Stars and Stripes, nice looking boat but it doesn't compare to the 93 S&S that's a classic but as the current theme of everything is going retro I think bringing back the classic S&S would be a huge success that would really put the copycats in their place.

Farmer, check this out. Do you remember my mentioning I'd seen a 98 that had the more classic S&S look with retrographics and no flag. Well, here's another one (from boat trader). Pretty cool, eh.

http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/756146/84611738_1.jpg

Farmer Ted
07-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Farmer, check this out. Do you remember my mentioning I'd seen a 98 that had the more classic S&S look with retrographics and no flag. Well, here's another one (from boat trader). Pretty cool, eh.

http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/756146/84611738_1.jpg

I think that boat came from or is in Florida, had a really dressed out engine.

I bet I know why there is a red pin stripe around the blue stripe......

But hell yeah that looks good. That's what I'm talking about. Old school (for the most part) Stars and Bars!

Farmer Ted
07-19-2006, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=east tx skier]Farmer, check this out. Do you remember my mentioning I'd seen a 98 that had the more classic S&S look with retrographics and no flag. Well, here's another one (from boat trader). Pretty cool, eh.

I think that boat came from or is in Florida, had a really dressed out engine.

I bet I know why there is a red pin stripe around the blue stripe......

But hell yeah that looks good. That's what I'm talking about. Old school (for the most part) Stars and Bars!

G-man
07-20-2006, 09:21 AM
I've seen a couple like that, they take off the flag decal and add some stars. It's stripe is a little narrower and doesn't have the top and bottom stripes or the stripe on the deck, but I like it.

east tx skier
07-20-2006, 10:23 AM
I saw another one in California not too long ago. Is the MC decal the same? In other words, did they use the retrographics on all the 98s?

WilliM1940
07-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Still think that bringing Stars and Stripes motif back sets it off as merely a paint job and not a particular boat in time. No history buffs here?

86Craft
07-20-2006, 12:43 PM
I saw another one in California not too long ago. Is the MC decal the same? In other words, did they use the retrographics on all the 98s?

The font on that boat is close, but not the same.

east tx skier
07-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Actually, looking at Farmer's boat, they did not come with those graphics.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=357&stc=1&d=1121913895

SKI*MC
07-20-2006, 01:05 PM
And if you want to get really pickey, the F and the T in "Craft" are positioned higher than what they were on the actual S&S.

richardsoncd
07-20-2006, 03:39 PM
And if you want to get really pickey, the F and the T in "Craft" are positioned higher than what they were on the actual S&S.

and on the older S&S's the t's and a's are not the same size and shape....

ski_king
07-20-2006, 03:53 PM
I just checked my 82 that has the orginal graphics on it and the F and T are centered, just like the 93 is.

Wow, great looking trailer. My goal is to get mine faded one with spidercrackes in the fenders looking that good.

LakePirate
07-20-2006, 04:12 PM
and on the older S&S's the t's and a's are not the same size and shape....

I like the bigger t's and a's

G-man
07-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I like the bigger t's and a's

X2 any day of the week