PDA

View Full Version : Little Skiers

PerryBpilot
07-18-2006, 10:19 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11843&stc=1&d=1153271351

I spent quite a bit of time reading a bunch of posts to this FANTASTIC forum. After digesting and considering the suggestions for teaching little ones to ski, my 4 and 5 year olds starting battling it out. Ally ski's the farthest by a long shot. They both debate and bargain with each other on the way to the lake for who gets to ski first, it really is fun to have them "argue" over something the whole family loves.

MASTERCRAFT strikes again, another family addicted to the joys albeit painful gas bills of Team Mastercraft.

sanjuan23
07-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Here's my nephew on his first run although he wasnt really pleased with his performance the first time out he never turns down a ride in the boat

Tryin-again
07-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Anyone got good advice - Will be teaching a 5 yr old this summer.....

She want to learn(1st good sign) her older brothers are like Jack in the box.... they pop out on slaloms like you wouldn't beleive! The 15 yr old can dust me -the 12 & 10 Just got going on 1 ski she's
ready - any help?? Should we get a boom or just go straight to deep water 2 ski's first - I assume that is the way most of us learned......

billr
07-18-2006, 11:41 PM
This works only if they get along OK. Have a brother, or sister, on each side and put an arm under her arms, and all three come up at one time. They can help hold and balance her until she gains confidence in herself. Pretty soon she won't want any help.. We have also used this method on slaloms if the outside two are strong enough to hold the center one up. Of course a good driver helps.

LakePirate
07-19-2006, 01:23 AM
So what happened to the rest of that dude's head?

sizzler
07-19-2006, 03:30 AM
looks like the bimini is holding him down

3event
07-19-2006, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Tryin-again]Anyone got good advice - Will be teaching a 5 yr old this summer.....

Our 5-yr old just learned on the Ski Skimmer, see link below. The wife stood in the water with him to help him stand up, and released him when I pulled away. I bet we were only rolling at 11mph. First time he cried the whole run, after much cheering and encouragement he was fine on the next runs. Have fun !

http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=11204&fcat=1F5

billr
07-19-2006, 10:02 AM
We also have the skimmer, but I was referring to skis. I don't tie a rope to the skimmer during the learning process, but loop a rope through the eye and hold it. I let the skimmer stay with the child for their security. I also jump in with them, when they fall. We hold the tip of the skimmer on the edge of the platform, put the boat in gear at idle speed, and with the smaller ones that's enough speed to get them up. Once they are stable, I let out a little more line. Pretty soon you can attach it to the rear eyelet. The expression on their face when they get up is "priceless".

Evan Jones
07-19-2006, 10:21 AM
We used the skimmer last weekend to teach my 5 yr old. Gets them comfortable on the water and near the boat. I actually ran with it in knee deep water with her on it. This was a great first step.

Should the next step be long line, or two skis on the boom ?

LakePirate
07-19-2006, 10:24 AM
looks like the bimini is holding him down

I must have stared at that for 5 minutes and couldn't figure it out.

I guess you got the first thing in the morning look at it.

billr
07-19-2006, 10:45 AM
We went from the skimmer to two skis, but used about half of the line. Both of the guys would stand up at idle speed. Then got the oldest to drop one. This coming week he says he's coming up on the slalom.

MarkP
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
I got a new skier just yesterday.. The boom works great for us.. The kids seem comfortable being able to talk to the instructor as they try new stuff..
This is my 6 year old. Her first try.

Jorski
07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Right on Mark, that is terrific! Were the skis tethered together or independant?

MarkP
07-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Right on Mark, that is terrific! Were the skis tethered together or independant?
They have the string to hold them in the front and back. I don’t think she’ll need the string for long. That’s my middle child, my wild one, the 48 Lb fireball.. We are on vacation at Norman this week so she can work on it several times a day.

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Congrats, Mark! Nicely done!!!

MarkP
07-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks Doug
That’s all she can talk about now. She even woke me this morning because she wanted the good water..

BriEOD
07-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Congratulations Mark and I hope the vacation is going well.

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks Doug
That’s all she can talk about now. She even woke me this morning because she wanted the good water..

Oh, I bet you hated that. Maybe later, sweetie. Yeah, right! Jump out of bed and you already had your boat shoes on!

MarkP
07-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Congratulations Mark and I hope the vacation is going well.
Sure is man, thanks…
I like this lake!! On a big cove. Great water just outside the door. Out skiing before breakfast every day so far. Mid 90s and sunny..
Rene got up on one ski again, (first time in about 10 years) and Melissa is getting comfortable trying one ski so I think she may be up on one by the end of the week..
Oh, and you can see by the photo how Melanie’s Vacation is goin..

MarkP
07-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Well
Rene is home with my light bulb for the boat and the kids just got up from nap time.
I’ll go get some more shots so this thread can be “Un-Jacked”:o

chudson
07-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Tryin-again
[Should we get a boom or just go straight to deep water 2 ski's first - I assume that is the way most of us learned......]

Boom will be a great investment for a long time to come and all kinds of stuff, training, teaching and demostrating. Trainer skis for the five year old would be great but if you don't have trainers duct tape two short skis together with a 6" width gap between and attach a short rope around the duct tape and try a dryland run, slowly, and if you have a garden tractor wet down some grass and try dragging her around the yard slowly. That can be alot of fun for her. A short strand of rope around the skis and under the tape is helpful.

chudson
07-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Clic on this site and page down to the bottom, that is a fun looking example of grass training.

http://www.thefootersedge.com/videoclips/index.htm

MarkP
07-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Well,
I’ve got one word to say,
Go with the boom and be patient..
Melissa’s newest accomplishment!!

tex
07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
JD is getting air on the skimmer!

jimmer2880
07-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Great shots everyone. The smiles on their faces is priceless.

PerryBpilot
07-23-2006, 09:14 PM
OK this is funny we bought the training skis with the fabric connector that holds the back together and the plastic connector that keeps the front of the skis together and has the connect point for the rope.
This rope has handles on both ends and connects to the skis thus the extra handle. Child has handle and adult in the boat has a handle, when the skier falls the adult drops/ throws theirs in the water as well.
Our first practice was in the back yard after a good rain with me pulling, we then moved on to me on the garden tractor pulling them. We always talk about skiing and say "remember, sit down low, come up slow". After an afternoon behind the tractor on wet grass, confidence was high(the kids) and ready to try deep water starts.
One person got in with the kids to steady them as they got going, one adult in the boat holding the rope/handle plus driver. We pulled them at about 12-15mph and within 4 trips to the lake they both started getting up by themselves with no "steadier" in the water.
Next year I plan to stop using the training rope and go to a regular ski rope. We'll see.
If anyone wants to see the 20 second mpeg video, deep water start with my 4 year old, send me an e-mail and I will reply with the attachment.
perrybpilot@adelphia.net

betsy&david Harrison
07-24-2006, 11:44 PM
I finally have a few pics of the yung'uns ski'n

MarkP
07-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Great shots B!!
How long has this been goin on?

betsy&david Harrison
07-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Great shots B!!
How long has this been goin on?

You referring to the skiing or the clothes switching? :) B

betsy&david Harrison
07-25-2006, 12:18 PM
A few more of the kids and dad

RobertSD1
07-25-2006, 03:06 PM
I have a seven year old who as been wakeboarding for three years now. I started him on the boom (friends boat) when he was four years old. Hell I don't know if I would do it again. Now I am on my second boat (the first one I got used and put 500 hours on it in two years. I just pick up a new x-1 two months ago. It has over 60 hours on it. All my kid wants to do is wakeboard. The worst part of it, is he is a lot better than me now. So good luck. :)

MarkP
07-26-2006, 12:09 AM
You referring to the skiing or the clothes switching? :) Byes I am..

dapicatti
07-26-2006, 01:04 AM
OK this is funny we bought the training skis with the fabric connector that holds the back together and the plastic connector that keeps the front of the skis together and has the connect point for the rope.
This rope has handles on both ends and connects to the skis thus the extra handle. Child has handle and adult in the boat has a handle, when the skier falls the adult drops/ throws theirs in the water as well.
Our first practice was in the back yard after a good rain with me pulling, we then moved on to me on the garden tractor pulling them. We always talk about skiing and say "remember, sit down low, come up slow". After an afternoon behind the tractor on wet grass, confidence was high(the kids) and ready to try deep water starts.
One person got in with the kids to steady them as they got going, one adult in the boat holding the rope/handle plus driver. We pulled them at about 12-15mph and within 4 trips to the lake they both started getting up by themselves with no "steadier" in the water.
Next year I plan to stop using the training rope and go to a regular ski rope. We'll see.
If anyone wants to see the 20 second mpeg video, deep water start with my 4 year old, send me an e-mail and I will reply with the attachment.
perrybpilot@adelphia.net

We used the same setup with my nieces, it was amazing to watch them pop up out of the water so quickly. The 6 year old got up immediately- first pull. We were shocked! The 9 year old had a little more trouble, but we got her up on the 4th pull. They were in heaven! If anyone else is thinking about starting kids out, I would definately get this set up. Ours are HO. Unfortunately for me, we have no tractor- so Uncle Doug was the tractor all afternoon!
It was so worth it to see the smiles on their faces.:cool:

chudson
07-26-2006, 12:52 PM
How long does it take Uncle Doug to come out on plane. Way to go Doug, "BE THE BOAT" "BE THE BOAT"

betsy&david Harrison
07-26-2006, 01:44 PM
yes I am..
This was the first time I have ever seen them do this. They were hysterical. I was in the house cooking and heard all this laughing when I looked out, there they were so I ran for the camera. Ali ended up losing Stewart's shorts in the lake...never to be found again. It was very funny.

As for the skiing, Ali has been on doubles since she was five and Stewart started skiing when he was 5. He has been playing on the water for 5 years now. He loves to ski, wakeboard, kneeboard and surf. I need to get a pic of both of them standing up on their kneeboards behind the boat. They look like a Show ski team. B

RobertSD1
07-26-2006, 07:50 PM
------------------

Rixter_69
07-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I have a seven year old who as been wakeboarding for three years now. I started him on the boom (friends boat) when he was four years old. Hell I don't know if I would do it again. Now I am on my second boat (the first one I got used and put 500 hours on it in two years. I just pick up a new x-1 two months ago. It has over 60 hours on it. All my kid wants to do is wakeboard. The worst part of it, is he is a lot better than me now. So good luck. :)

Rob - That's awesome - we started my 7 yr old on skis off the boom when she was 4, she spent 2 years on skis, then progressed to the wakeboard last year and has never looked back. We started her on her sisters 140cm board, but just bought her a 125 Hyperlite this year and she has so much more confidence, She's crossing the wake and just now trying to ride switch and jump the wakes. It's amazing how fast they progress - she'll be kickin her dad's butt any day now 8p

Cheers,

Cheers,

dapicatti
07-26-2006, 11:30 PM
How long does it take Uncle Doug to come out on plane. Way to go Doug, "BE THE BOAT" "BE THE BOAT"

Believe it or not the Uncle Doug boat was more popular than the actual boat. Even after they got up on skis, they still wanted more "slide time" with Uncle Doug. I'm just happy that they are interested in skiing. Next year we wakeboard!!

MarkP
07-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Ok
My friend threw the vid of Melissa (my 10 yr old) into his Photobucket so I could share it with TT.. This shot was from vacation at Lake Norman the week of the 16th. It was the first time she had ever gotten up on one ski. The camera was inadvertently on video..
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/bcampbe7/?action=view&current=Norman06173.flv (http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/bcampbe7/?action=view&current=Norman06173.flv)

gr8smiles
07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Better get used to guys...mine started skiing at 3 and 5, progressed to wakeboarding...I am on my 2nd X-Star....my 05 has 215 hours on it since last June...these pic are from yesterday...my 18 yo son....

gr8smiles
07-31-2006, 12:38 PM
and my 15 yo daughter....

chudson
07-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Those are great looking pix that looks like fun and your kids look super doing it! Great to see their wearing helmets. Is the air chair difficult to get up on?

RobertSD1
07-31-2006, 12:59 PM
That is a great picture, she looks like she is having a lot of fun. With the four year old make sure she is always having fun. Also have her keep the nose up, catching the front edge for the little one makes them want to stop. Have fun.

gr8smiles
07-31-2006, 01:05 PM
It was best said on here that the learning curve is 'short, but steep', meaning that it took me about 4-5 weekends to where I could get up, fly above the water for extended periods of time and cross both wakes.

My son was jumping it out of the water the 1st weekend. My daughter took about 3 weekends to get that far. We got it last fall. Spent about 2 weekends before the cold, then started back this spring.

I have not even put on a board or a ski this year. This is all I do. I am addicted. I bet I rode it over 3 hours last weekend and over 2 this weekend. My runs average 30 minutes, as well as my kids runs.

When I jump the wakes, the bottom of the foil is over 5' off the water...what a rush!

Getting up is pretty much like a slalom....keep the board in front and lean way back, but then you must lean over the foil to the front to keep from flying right away...which is entertaining for the boat viewers!

Learning to fly is a different matter.

Your best bet is to find an experienced foiler and get some help. Do this before you purchase as well. 90% of foils are the Sky Ski brand, not Air Chair.

Check out the forums on foilfreaks.com

Tons of info there.

MarkP
07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
all great shots guys!!! One of my favorite subjects!

pq2
08-04-2006, 06:20 PM
finally some pics of my Nieces :)

pq2
08-04-2006, 06:22 PM

pq2
08-04-2006, 06:24 PM
the last.........

MarkP
08-04-2006, 06:24 PM
finally some pics of my nieces :)lookin good..

pq2
08-04-2006, 06:30 PM
now what did I wrote wrong:o

MarkP
08-04-2006, 06:32 PM
now what did I wrote wrong:o
I thought maybe they did things differently in Mexico..

MarkP
08-04-2006, 06:38 PM
now what did I wrote wrong:oThat may be "Nieces"

pq2
08-04-2006, 06:40 PM
thanks for correcting me, you know my english is bad :D

MarkP
08-04-2006, 06:44 PM
thanks for correcting me, you know my english is bad :D
I just thought the rest of the photos, (with the nephews) were coming up.. Sorry..
Great shots!! The kids look like they are having a blast!!

74stars
08-04-2006, 07:10 PM
My Little Man Last Summer

C36
08-04-2006, 11:18 PM
finally some pics of my Nieces :)

Sking AND ice cream - boy your nieces must love spending time on with you!

MarkP
08-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I got a new skier just yesterday.. The boom works great for us.. The kids seem comfortable being able to talk to the instructor as they try new stuff..
This is my 6 year old. Her first try.

Attached Imageshttp://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11862&stc=1&d=1153329588

chudson
08-11-2006, 04:51 PM
'
If a kid smiles when there're skiing there is no fear!

KnoxX2
08-11-2006, 05:11 PM
My son at 4
This my first post on TT

chudson
08-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Dang good job and look at that boy go!!! And I'll say welcome even though I still feel like a rookie here concidering the number of posts alot of folks have put up. Tell that guy to keep up the good work.

wxnic
09-15-2009, 11:44 PM
this has worked very well for us. glassed it this year and had girls out and loving it by their 3rd birthday. we're slowly progressing.

davomaddo
09-16-2009, 06:43 PM
We have been towing my daughter around the yard on the skis. It is a nice intro.
She hasn't wanted to go in the water yet. Next summer we should be good.

Joseph
09-16-2009, 11:08 PM
2 boys 4 and 5. Used trainer ski's with cross rope between them. Tried attaching the rope to skis--didn't work. bad pull vector i think. Ended up dragging them at low speeds close to the boat until they got the concept to sit back and get correct posture. then yelled at wife to speed up. They pop right up. Advantage to holding them close is that you can let the rope go, it's still attached to the boat and if your wife (driver) is paying attention, stop the boat in time to prevent having to circle around and get them the rope. Just pull them in close to the boat and drag them again. They usually don't let go of the rope. After about 15 min. We let the whole rope length out, I got behind the controls and just pop them out of the water. Its great to see their happy little faces. Sorry no pics. Oh, one word of caution, causes a little bit of marital stress if your wife doesn't hear you yelling to stop the boat. :) Now we're working on wakeboarding.

harddock
10-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I have had excellent luck teaching kids off a boom. I attatched a ski handle with tie wraps up close because the boom diameter seemed a bit much for little hands. As soon as they grasp what is going on it is a piece of cake going to off the pylon. I start them on trainers with front and rears attached, then just the fronts, and then the skis alone. Teach wakeboarding and slslom starts off the boom too.
Twenty to thirty kids to date, so the method must be working ok.

YTW
11-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Two years ago my son had some of his buddies out on the boat with us that had never skied before. My son had just finished wakeboarding and I forgot to pull in the wakeboard rope and put out the ski rope. I noticed that having the wakeboard rope attached to the tower did two things. First it gave the skier some upwards lift and second it was easier to keep the rope tight which eliminated the somewhat sligshot effect of a strechy rope when the throttle was engaged. Most of these middle school aged kids got up on thier 3rd try. Since the wakeboad rope is not very forgiving, on their 4th attempt I swapped back to the ski rope. Once they seemed pretty stable, I would move the rope down to the pylon. This has worked on about 9 new skiers this year.