PDA

View Full Version : pressure washer - new or repair this one

mitch
07-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey all! Power washer died and I'm assuming the pump is junk. Should I have a local small engine repair company fix this one or by new? It's an 02 2500psi w/ Honda 5HP. I'm figuring it'll cost a 100 bucks to fix it. Just guessing

eyeing this one:

Thanks!

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1279496099.1153270013@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgaddigfefmklcgelceffdfgidgml.0&MID=9876

milkmania
07-18-2006, 10:20 PM
why does this thread show to be locked? edit: scratch that, my mozilla straightened up:o

also, the link goes to a general page for Home depot, instead of the pressure washer you mention

mitch
07-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Actually like this one better.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=227827-71025-PW0952750&lpage=none

Anyone replace the pump themselves? Easy? Thx

Granite_33
07-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Anything you can find on Ebay? Seems like there are quite a few pump bodies.....only question is if they would fit your particular brand.

mitch
07-18-2006, 11:08 PM
thanks for the reply. funny you should mention ebay, i was just poking around there, and the pumps are pricey. There is an 800# on the washer. I'll call em tomorrow. under a 100 I might do it

Leroy
07-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Not to do small engine repair, but what quit? Motor quit running or just quit pumping water?

THose engines are pretty simple.

mitch
07-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Not to do small engine repair, but what quit? Motor quit running or just quit pumping water?

THose engines are pretty simple.

runs great, water comes out VERY lightly, and the sound you expect to hear when the pump comes on never happens. Thanks!

Maristar210
07-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Mitch,

Are you sure its getting penty of water? Because if it isn't it won't go into hi-pressure.

Just a thought.

Steve

jimmer2880
07-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Or - are you 100% certain that all the air is out of the line? I have the problem every now & then on my pressure washer, and usually - it's air in the system somewhere.

mitch
07-19-2006, 09:22 AM
I'll try it again today, but I'm pretty certain all the air is out and there was planty of water. Thanks!

#47of100TeamMC
07-19-2006, 09:32 AM
If you end up looking for a new one to buy have you tried Sam's club? If you are not a member somebody you know must be. I bought a 2500psi 5hp honda from there about 8yrs ago. Still goin' strong and much cheaper at the time than Home Depot or Northern Tool or anyplace else I could find one. just a thought.

beef
07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Do you have a different nozzle you can try? Mine was acting the same way - no pressure or pump sound when the trigger was pressed. I tried a different wand & it worked ok. Just a thought.

bigmac
07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Sounds like the valves are shot in the pump. This has happened to me once or twice from freezing. Sometimes the pump seals go and water leaks into the pump frying the pistons. Most of those Home Depot-type washers use cheap, semi-disposable pumps. I had my pump rebuilt locally once, and the second time found that the cost of the pump rebuild was such that I could buy a substantially better washer for only a tiny bit more than the cost of the rebuild. You could try to buy a new pump, but I think you'd be amazed at the cost of those suckers. One hates to throw away a perfectly good Honda engine, but from a cost efficiency standpoint, you're looking at the cost of the pump vs. cost of repair parts plus labor vs. cost of a new washer.

There are several types of pumps out there and the $300 pressure washers tend to use cheapo pumps that definitely don't tend to last as long. CAT makes the best pumps IMHO, but we're talking $400+ just for the replacement pump alone. Of course, those pumps last a much longer time

mitch
07-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Mac, Yup, you're right, pump was $212.

Beef, I trying a couple of nozzles, and still nothing.

Pulled the shround off the pump looking for the easy button, nutin'.

Would this one be classified as a cheapo one?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=227827-71025-PW0952750&lpage=none

How much to I have to spend to get a good one? Any links? Thanks for the input guys!

bigmac
07-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Mac, Yup, you're right, pump was $212.

Beef, I trying a couple of nozzles, and still nothing.

Pulled the shround off the pump looking for the easy button, nutin'.

Would this one be classified as a cheapo one?

How much to I have to spend to get a good one? Any links? Thanks for the input guys!

Pressure washer prices are based almost entirely on the engine and the pump. The mfgrs will hit their price point by some combination of those two components. Cheap would be a Briggs/Stratton engine with some cheap pump. The Coleman's mostly use Giant pumps (I don't know about the one you reference - it's worth checking before buying), which are generally considered pretty good - not quite commercial duty, but closer than most. The reason that the Coleman you cited is relatively more expensive than some others that use the same Honda engine is that they are using a better pump. A better pump will resist overheating better than a cheaper one, and the biggest source of overheating is running the washer for any length of time without the wand squeezed. Virtually all of those home-type washers will sustain heat damage if you let them run them like that for more than about 2 minutes.

mitch
07-19-2006, 11:17 AM
specs on that Coleman, pump is Axial

MODEL NUMBER RPW0952750
ENGINE 6.0-HP Honda GC190
PUMP Axial
ADJUSTABLE PRESSURE Not Available
CHEMICAL INJECTION Siphoning Tube
HIGH PRESSURE HOSE 25 Feet (1/4")
SPRAY GUN Standard
SPRAY NOZZLE Quick Connect Tips
EXTRA ATTACHMENTS None

Here's one w/ the Cat pump, but $700.

might be worth it this time, I've owned 2 cheap ones, and never run for more than 15 secs w/o pulling the trigger, and always run the water and make sure air is out, before I connect hose and start the washer. I actually lent it out this time, and my buddy said he never got pressure out of it. I went over the above instructions, and he's pretty handy, so I trusted him and it's not his fault. I never lend it out, but he caught me at a weak moment. Weak moment was me calling him to borrow his surfboard:o and him asking for the washer. Only answer was yes......

bigmac
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
specs on that Coleman, pump is Axial

MODEL NUMBER RPW0952750
ENGINE 6.0-HP Honda GC190
PUMP Axial
ADJUSTABLE PRESSURE Not Available
CHEMICAL INJECTION Siphoning Tube
HIGH PRESSURE HOSE 25 Feet (1/4")
SPRAY GUN Standard
SPRAY NOZZLE Quick Connect Tips
EXTRA ATTACHMENTS None

Axial refers to the type of pump rather than the brand..that pump appears to be a Comet pump, which is a kind of middle-of-the-road consumer-level brand pump. Generally not thought to be at the same level as the Giant pumps. Axial pumps are not as efficient, nor as reliable, as camshaft pumps, but are a lot cheaper.

mitch
07-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Ok, thanks.
forgot to post the link on the one w/ the cat pump

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0626073816.1153318256@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddaddigfmmjiicgelceffdfgidgkg.0&MID=9876

mitch
07-19-2006, 03:10 PM
HD links post poorly, sorry.

Story ends pretty good. Stop at Lowes to check them out and ask the guy if he has any recon's. says he just got one in, and price is 1/2 off (135.00). It's low end, but I'm checking it out and it's in great condition, and has the decal from the recon company. He says how about 75 bucks. It's in my truck ;) Thanks guys

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=188016-348-20245&lpage=none