PDA

View Full Version : Big OOP's Gel Coat

Tryin-again
07-18-2006, 05:27 PM
We had a screw up - trailer mishap..... the picture says it all...

I checked the local MC dealer - They quoted $980.. Does anyone know a GEl Coat guy around the AUstin, TX area (That They Trust?)

This is right above the D-ring (Bow) :ohttp://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11837&stc=1&d=1153257919

rspiecha
07-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Search your area. Something like this would be $200 at Jimmy Smith Fiberglass Repairs. I had a deep scratch like that down lower from the front trailer roller bracket. Can't even tell its been repaired.

rob

rspiecha
07-18-2006, 05:30 PM
double post

Farmer Ted
07-18-2006, 05:30 PM
We had a screw up - trailer mishap..... the picture says it all...

I checked the local MC dealer - They quoted $980.. Does anyone know a GEl Coat guy around the AUstin, TX area (That They Trust?)

This is right above the D-ring (Bow) :ohttp://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11837&stc=1&d=1153257919

I'm trying to picture what that is and how it happened....

$980
get it in writing and hold them to it

sounds cheap

edit....the picture looks bigger than it is. it is in the glass and that will require some TLC, I was told a good gelcoat repair will extend 12" beyond the damage in every direction so get twelve inches of string and draw a circle around the damage.....

erkoehler
07-18-2006, 05:34 PM
:( :cry: :cry:

Sorry don't know anyone in TX.

billr
07-18-2006, 05:45 PM
That's cheap. I'd have them start tomorrow!!

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Judging from the photo, I'd say that sounds like a very low figure. I know two people in Texas that I'd trust to do glass work on my boat, but neither of them is in or near Austin. That's not to say there's no one good there, I just don't know of them as I didn't own a boat when I lived there.

jraben8
07-18-2006, 05:54 PM
I guess that I'd probably call all of the dealerships there and ask them. It's not going to hurt anything and if they all come up with a similar answer that should be worth something. I wish I could be more help especially for something like this.

Tryin-again
07-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks Guys.... I am tracking down an old mechanic I knew in the early 90's - I just found out he is back and working at a close dealer.. He had moved to work for Mercruiser at Fond de lok(sp?) anyway he's probably got some connections....
Just for info.. I put a crappy (brand new) roller on because the original was torn... it was what they were selling as replacement..... it failed big time..... also my partners15 year old may have been loading a little fast... but the roller was sh***t - I should have realized it when I put it on. My Fault - not the kid's.....

divetravis
07-19-2006, 10:18 AM
There are a couple of places in the Lakeway area that do very nice work. There is a place right across the street from the main entrance into Lakeway I believe it is called Custom Boats of Austin, while I have not personally had them do any work for me I have looked at a couple of boats they have repaired and I was unable to see the repair. I have talked to them and they were quite happy to take me out back and show me their work. They only do fiberglass repair on boats, normally there are a number of boats waiting for repair, some are high end cigarette boats.

There is also a place a mile or so east of Lakeway on 620 called Dewart Fiberglass. I had them do a fiberglass repair on a motorhome I purchased earlier this year and they did a great job for a very reasonable price. They mainly work on boats. They were also very willing to show me the work they do. They had a boat they were working on that had a crack running across the fiberglass floor liner, they had repaired the crack and were in the process of putting the antislip design back in the repair, talk about something tedious. The repair guy was having to manually grind the design back in with a small high speed grinder. In looking at it the piece that was completed looked perfect.

You could also ask this question on the austin 360 wakeboard forum. I know some of them have used a guy out by Steiner Ranch and have been very happy with his service and price.

jraben8
07-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks Guys.... I am tracking down an old mechanic I knew in the early 90's - I just found out he is back and working at a close dealer.. He had moved to work for Mercruiser at Fond de lok(sp?) anyway he's probably got some connections....
Just for info.. I put a crappy (brand new) roller on because the original was torn... it was what they were selling as replacement..... it failed big time..... also my partners15 year old may have been loading a little fast... but the roller was sh***t - I should have realized it when I put it on. My Fault - not the kid's.....

That makes me kinda nervous. I replaced mine last week. No issues this past weekend but I'll be watching it a lot closer now.

Tryin-again
07-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks Divetravis - I'll be going that way to try to find a guy - so I can check those guys out...

By the way I knew a diver/skier from up at Bee creek 20 yrs ago.... have you been around that long?

divetravis
07-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi Tryin-again: Sorry I did not reply sooner but I only get to this site once a week. I am not the guy from Bee Creek but I have been around here almost that long :) I have lived out by Lake Travis for about 15 years, learned to dive here and have done the vast majority of my sking (slalom, wakeboard, airchair) here. Hard to find a better place to live.

rodltg2
07-25-2006, 07:55 PM
what happend , looks like you went way past the roller and into the back of the truck!

Tryin-again
07-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Naa, roller folded just dug into the front of the traailer....