PDA

View Full Version : What brand of personal watercraft is better than others???

Linkster
07-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Looking at getting a used "Jet-Ski" sooner or later and honestly do not know enough about them to understand which mfr is better and why. Interested in knowing more about a two person ~800-1000cc, mid to late 90's model.

Rockman
07-18-2006, 07:18 PM
:steering: Skip buying a PWC and invest in some new ski gear. :steering:

Only good PWC is one on a trailer or lift. :D

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 08:31 PM
We prefer the brands that are on the lake bottom, better yet, in the landfill!

Ric
07-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Yes, the best brand of PWC is the brand that offers the 20 year note :)

These end up in the back of someone's garage who can not only not afford them but cannot sell them.... keeps em off the water!!

3event
07-18-2006, 08:36 PM
What do you call a dozen PWC's at the bottom of the lake?
A GOOD START !!!

Rockman's onto something, you could get a lot of nice gear for that kind of :twocents:

DanC
07-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Looking at getting a used "Jet-Ski" sooner or later and honestly do not know enough about them to understand which mfr is better and why. Interested in knowing more about a two person ~800-1000cc, mid to late 90's model.

Isn't this kinda like posting on a Sierra Club site "What brand of dirt bike is best?":uglyhamme

School Skier
07-18-2006, 08:50 PM
PWC the ANTI CHRIST of watercraft.

atlfootr
07-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Skip buying a PWC and invest in some new ski gear. :steering: Only good PWC is one on a trailer or lift. :DRockman's got the rt idea ... just that there is NO GOOD peedont's :noface:
The name implies, where those damn things belong :rolleyes:
That's all I have to say, other than I hate 'em.

Linkster
07-18-2006, 09:42 PM
LOL... Sssooo, what your saying is - don't bother getting one and we hate them. Yeah, they are a nuisance - not the skier's best friend, but can be fun when used with respect of others. I could always use some more ski gear...

sanjuan23
07-18-2006, 09:45 PM
MORE SKI GEAR... MORE SKI GEAR... MORE SKI GEAR ANY THING ELSE WOULD BE UN-CIVILIZED:firejump:

Tryin-again
07-18-2006, 10:10 PM
We call them "gnats" for obvious reasons -

I will have disagree with the others - If they allow us to mount M-60 machine guns on our Mastercrafts - then PWCs can come on the lake between 2 & 5 pm Saturdays (only)......

OK - So the redneck in me comes out...

Adios

Granite_33
07-18-2006, 10:54 PM
No smokers, no way, no how.

Judging from what I see every single cotton pickin weekend........Heres your fun......:rant: You jump on the smoker.............
1. You don't know what to do, so.........
2. You Drive straight and fast..........
3. You don't know what to do.......
4. So you make a sharp turn.........
5. Water splashes everywhere, you do a 360.......
(return to #1)

Fun for one......a nuisance to all others.........

I highly suggest a PWC on the ocean though......you can really catch some serious air:eek:

boyd
07-19-2006, 12:27 AM
I agree with all the comments but to answer your question from someone who owned 3 of them. Don't buy anything other than a Yamaha. Make sure it has a reverse to avoid accidents.
They are alot of fun. I owned several until 3 1/2years ago when I bought my first inboard boat. My children were too small to get on a boat. I still think it's crazy to take babies on boats. But..... I had fun with them, but I don't want another unless I get a lake home.
Again Yamaha.
Boyd

bigmac
07-19-2006, 12:41 AM
You could debate the merits of the various brands all day - everyone will have an opinion. I'd rank them Yamaha, SkiDoo, Kawasaki. I wouldn't have a Polaris, nor an Arctic Cat (reliability).

gr8smiles
07-19-2006, 01:17 AM
I'll take a stab at it....I have owned 4. I had an early 90's model 2 seater Seadoo...SPX I think....way too tippy and unstable for 2 adults...would not go there again

Next, I had a SeadDoo GTI 3 seater...nice, fast, fun, pulled skiers, etc.

Then I tried a Yamaha, though a month after extended warranty ran out, it threw a rod. It was a 3 seater, but not as good performance wise as the SeaDoo.

When it blew the engine, traded it for a new SeaDoo RPX...a rocket...love it. This is the 3rd summer with it...close to 175 hours on it...no problems...pulls skiers when needed, great for foiling, and even better for tubing when you have too....saves the hours on the X-Star.

Seadoo has the lions share of the market. They also have the better technology and performance. Yamaha tends to do better in salt water and the rental market, but Seadoo has more of the personal market.

Make sure that you get a 4 stroke...way better and quiter than the 2 stroke models. You can find good 'preowned' ones than people tire of or move out of. They can get run hard, and do. Make sure that a preowned one has had all maintenance. Ours is nice as a 3rd boat (other is an older pontoon) and great for breakfast runs, hauling guests, etc. Younger guests and non-skiers can enjoy them too. You must make sure that people know how to operate them. They can ram your boat, suck up your rope, etc.

Hope this helps.

JDK
07-19-2006, 01:25 AM
Don't buy anything other than a Yamaha.
Again Yamaha.
Boyd

I hate 'lake lice' too, but from all of the ones that family, friends and enemys have, Boyd has hit the nail on the head. BRP has the biggest market share, but Yamaha is in a different league than the rest.

ridehype4life
07-19-2006, 04:32 AM
We have two Sea-Doos that have been somewhat 'neglected' since the MC came into the household... but they still are alot of fun. Sea-Doo is the only way to go in my opinion. Their innovation, quality, and performance is unmatched. We have a 99 GTI and an 05 RXT. Both run strong to this day, and let me tell you, the RXT with the 215 horse supercharged intercooled 4-tec is a rush like no other to drive:eek:

Of course, we only ride them mid day when the lake is 1 foot chop. Glass is for the Mastercraft :worthy:

Jarbon
07-19-2006, 07:13 AM
Hate the things personally, but now that I've seen this I might be persuaded!

jakethebt
07-19-2006, 08:31 AM
I have not seen anyone mention the Honda. I believe that they have taken top ranks in most of the major mag for the past few years. From everything else Honda that I have owned, they are very tough to beat. Also Honda's tend to hold their resale value very well... I would say test drive a used one first, but good luck finding one (Honda).

chirobum
07-19-2006, 09:08 AM
i was pulling someone just last weekend when one of "those things" decided to jump the wake behind the person i was pulling. needless to say, i exchanged a few choice words.:mad:

love2fly
07-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Can't make up my mind on which is worse, the PWC or the fool who is sitting on top of the PWC.

I had one who tried to go between my boat and my nephew who was in the water getting ready to start skiing. When the jerk saw the ski rope he tried to do a 180 towards my nephew and missed him by inches.
I came unglued as did my brother-inlaw. Tried calling the TWRA on cell but go no luck so now I have a marine handheld radio to call on CH16 when I see a jacka@@ doing stupid stuff on a PWC.

gr8smiles
07-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I have several friends that have Hondas. The 3 seater that they have is lacking in power, accelaration, and handling. They have a little 2 seater that is a rocket, but I love my RPX better. Faster, more holeshot, and handles like a sportbike....

phecksel
07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Mastercraft all the way, LOL

I vowed to never own one, and somehow ended up with a WetJet that had very little time on the engine. I could not pass up the price paid, and it's almost been bullet proof. As PWC's go, it's a piece of crap, but got lucky and found a couple of aftermarket add on's that turned it into an ok performer.

flya750
07-19-2006, 01:01 PM
What do you call a dozen PWC's at the bottom of the lake?
A GOOD START !!!

Rockman's onto something, you could get a lot of nice gear for that kind of :twocents:

Question? How is a PWC any different than a freakin' wake machine? I think the wake machines are a far bigger annoyance other than PWC's. And when you put an inconsiderate person behind the wheel of a wake machine it's really annoying!:confused:

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 01:09 PM
While I have no interest in owning one, I'll own up to riding them in the past. The only ones that I recall being truly fond of are the old "stand-up" Kawasaki 550 Jet Skis.

That said, I like the idea of a hunting season on the things between March and November.

love2fly
07-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Now the "stand up" ones are very different. It takes a fair amount of skill to get up and ride one. Most people who can get up and stand on one have enough common sense on how they should be ridden.

Any idiot can sit on a PWC and ride it, causing all the problems we have with them.

3event
07-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I guess I'll just continue to use my handheld air horn. That thing gets attention. It's often difficult to resist displaying a rude gesture, but I am trying to be the good guy :) and wave furiously with a dumb smile like I lost my mind. The offender is usually terminally clueless anyway.

So if you had a couple of pwc's on the lake that occasionally rode counter-traffic and violated the nowake hours... and you knew the offender's residence.... would you laminate the rules and tape em to the offending craft? Some rude kids, with oblivious parents.

It REALLY ticks me off if I just finished fighting 2 other boats for the last 30 minutes of water and a couple of those things go ripping down the lake 20 minutes after nowake hour! If I thought the rules were optional, I would be shredding that glass with bare feet!!!!

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 01:29 PM
When we're just cruising and they show up, I drop it back to idle (no wake speed). They buzz about behind me hoping for a wake handout, but I am stubborn and patient. I always outlast them and they leave. If I'm pulling someone, most of the time, they have kept their distance lately. But if they were to get too close, I'd signal the rider to drop and get back to them tooth sweet.

BrianM
07-19-2006, 01:49 PM
I call them (PWCs) "water maggots"

Although I sure would like to own a couple of Kawasaki 550 stand ups (Jet Skis) to run by the beach in the gulf and on the big lake.

gr8smiles
07-19-2006, 02:31 PM

Since your thread has been hijacked by the "I hate PWCs and Wakeboard Boats" crowd, you might have better luck if you ask us about specific models, etc. For instance, I would not buy a used PWC that is out of warranty or extended warranty....too much can go wrong with them turning 8000 rpms....the later models are 4 stroke....much better than the 2 stroke variety...willing to help since I have had 4, but they do have their limits....and their enemies:)

Rockman
07-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Question? How is a PWC any different than a freakin' wake machine?

What the hell is a wake machine?

Sorry, don't know your lingo.

gr8smiles
07-19-2006, 03:00 PM
It seems that 'flya750' takes issue with wakeboard boats, v-drives, maristars, and pretty much anything with a tower or an X....

bigmac
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
It seems that 'flya750' takes issue with wakeboard boats, v-drives, maristars, and pretty much anything with a tower or an X....
Well, I interpreted his statement as meaning that many of our prized water vehicles come with their own set of annoyances to other lake users. I believe he was commenting on the irony of those who complain about PWC's on one hand while setting up big rollers down the lake with their wakeboard boat on the other hand.

Me, it's all good...our lake doesn't get a lot of either type of traffic, and all of us seem to coexist pretty well.

bigmac
07-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, I interpreted his statement as meaning that many of our prized water vehicles come with their own set of annoyances to other lake users. I believe he was commenting on the irony of those who complain about PWC's on one hand while setting up big rollers down the lake with their wakeboard boat on the other hand.

Me, it's all good...our lake doesn't get a lot of either type of traffic, and all of us seem to coexist pretty well.

TMCNo1
07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
When I was looking in the Forum, General Discussion listings, this thread said "Last Page", I was hoping it was!

tex
07-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Anyone remember Mastercraft's PWC?

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 10:41 PM
I see the wet jets on ebay from time to time. I guess we've all been promoting other brands :o

tex
07-19-2006, 10:44 PM
We had the wet jets in a show one year. Wow, were they p.o.s.'s! The impellers burned up in nothing flat.

flya750
07-20-2006, 01:09 AM

It's not that I take issue. I'm sorry if it comes across that way.

But I just don't see you can all honestly bash PWC's for there erratic driving etc? And not recognixze that a boat designed to put up 3-4' waves on a 400 acre doesn't dictate to all on the lake the water conditions. I'm sorry but I liken wake boarding boats to second hand smoke. The rest of don't have a choice!

I'm sorry if I offend. I certainly understand ya'll have just as much right to the lake as the next guy. I just want a little recognition from the wake machine owners that we all have to deal with your second hand smoke so to speak.

I promise no more wake machine bashing...;)

flya750
07-20-2006, 01:12 AM

Thanks BigMac! Exactly what I meant....

:cool:

gr8smiles
07-20-2006, 02:06 AM
Having grown up and boated exclusively on TVA lakes (Pickwick, Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Percy Priest,etc.) in the south, I am used to lakes that are 50+ miles long. Everyone pretty much can find their own space, though some do choose otherwise. I can understand how our wakes would disrupt smaller lakes and neighborhood lakes. There are only 2 slalom courses on Center Hill and it is a 65 mile long reservoir. I would not go near them, especially with my foil...:D

Thanks for clarifying....I do hope that we can all get along....after all, it's not like you are slaloming behind a Malibu....:)

dog paw
07-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Good God people! And you wonder why you get the "cob stuck up your butt snob stamp" Sheezzze

I can go out on our lake ANYTIME and find a MORON operating any type of watercraft

Linkster, This time of year I put way more hours on my Sea Doos that the Mastercraft. I do a lot of work on them and would recommend a Sea Doo hands down! There technology is ten fold over anything else PWC. Regardless of what you hear! LOL! If it were me though I would NEVER buy used PWC unless you could verify its care from day one I have seen some real pretty hack jobs...... You would prolly find 4 stroke GTXltd or RXT very enjoyable if you go used 2 stroke make it a DI I have a RXDI that has been a blast.

Ride on!!!!

Linkster
07-20-2006, 02:55 PM
This has been a fun topic to follow!

Thank you for the input on the different kinds out there. It sounds like Sea-Doo and Yamaha are a cut above the rest and that 4 stroke is the better way to go.

caden
07-20-2006, 03:09 PM
We have a Yamaha VX110 Deluxe
Smallest 4 stroke you can get and it has an electronic key that will lower speed by about 20%. Which I thought was a good idea for the teenagers, who both have a TWRA boaters safety license-required in TN for under 18.
Good for running down the river to someone else's dock or to p/u one of the kids at a freinds dock.
Mechanic at dealer said Yamaha and Honda seemed to be the most reliable. But everybody has there own opinion.
Yes PWCs are irratating when operated by morons.

dog paw
07-20-2006, 03:27 PM
I no fan of mandated safety features, like the elephant ear OPAS flaps that Sea Doo uses but as far as off power steering on a PWC Kawi has a neat setup. The engine computer will bump the throttle up on a sudden steering movement on a decell giving a newbie a bit more control, without sacraficing performance by throwing extra rudders in the water

Sbeams
07-20-2006, 06:44 PM
I can't stand it anymore, Let me tell you about today. I am a professional fishing guide in Naples Florida, my customer today wants to catch a tailing redfish probaly because he saw it on tv. Any way after polling my 1200 lb. flats boat 300 yards for one shot with a fly rod what comes buzzing around the mangroves you guessed it a ****ing jetski. scattering fish off the flats then just waves. Buy what you want but have some common sense. Thanks guys for letting me vent.

dog paw
07-20-2006, 07:55 PM
And if it had been another fishing boat it would have been just peachy8p

You could come to our lake tie up under the bridges with all the other fisher dudes and have a 25ft deck boat with a double bimini that looks like it could haul 5 tons of coal, dredge through @ 15mph pulling a Got Daym tube and with the same amount of cluelessness smile and wave as the wake washes all your junk up on shore:D

Needless to say I have no tolarence for targeted PWC bashing The sound of a mans crushed bones as I did CPR on him still ring clear in my ears after a "professional fishing guide" ran him down on the race for the precious bass. The Bass are still in the lake and the man is still dead............

Sbeams
07-21-2006, 05:56 PM
This is no way the same thing First of all I am talking about water less then a foot deep so if its another boat he will be polling also not buzzing around 50 mph with no resect for anything then himself. I spend around two hundred days a year fishing. I also pull my wife and kids in my 190 three days of the week in the afternoon and I am as carefull as I possibly can be .

DooSPX
07-21-2006, 10:47 PM
I have been into PWC's for 11 years, and in IMO I believe that Bombardier is the best when maintained according to spec's or a little there after.