PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance?

6ballsisall
07-18-2006, 04:54 PM
If one where to become self employed and just needed insurances for his family and himself do you have an recommendations of companies one should check out for good coverage and affordable rates?

LakePirate
07-18-2006, 04:57 PM
If one who is self employed and has others that work for him and uses a payroll company to pay them, there might be a deal to get you a better rate. If you know someone that is the owner of a business (Mag) and he uses a payroll company see if you can get in there. It won't cost him anything and the payroll company should welcome it, as the more people they have the better rate they get. You may have to cut a check to the business owner with the payroll account.

Confused yet?

6ballsisall
07-18-2006, 05:05 PM
If one who is self employed and has others that work for him and uses a payroll company to pay them, there might be a deal to get you a better rate. If you know someone that is the owner of a business (Mag) and he uses a payroll company see if you can get in there. It won't cost him anything and the payroll company should welcome it, as the more people they have the better rate they get. You may have to cut a check to the business owner with the payroll account.

Confused yet?

Makes sense thanks! Hypothetically speaking the potentially self employed wont have (or want) employees.

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 05:29 PM
My wife works and I am covered under her policy [primary] at work, fairly cheap compared to a policy just for myself, then I have supplimental insurance [secondary] for both of us, that's fairly inexpensive, compared to a full coverage policy for just me. It has worked for us for 35 years.
I would suggest someone who is considering self-employment to get with a good insurance agent who represents several companies and he can give you a lot of options you would never have expected. The money you can save, will give you the option for Disability Insurance that you can't get under her employee plan, that she has.

billr
07-18-2006, 05:38 PM
TMCNo1: How are those claws doing??

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 05:44 PM
TMCNo1: How are those claws doing??

:uglyhamme The black and blue is disappearing, swelling in foot is going down, but that one toe is one ugly thing. I'll get over it, cause the funky chicken is in my bones!
Thanks fur askin'!

beef
07-18-2006, 05:50 PM
I hired my wife. You can reduce your own salary to make room for hers if necessary. (Yeah, I know... but it all kinda goes into the same place anyway.) That way, we fall into the small group category in MD - between 2 and 50 employees. We have a son with an expensive (REAL expensive) medical condition, which requires insurance with an unlimimited lifetime cap. I went with BC/BS because of the coverage they offer. Not the cheapest, but as a group plan not unaffordable.

Mag_Red
07-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Jeff, I can steer my agent your way if you want. I am currently looking into an plan right now for my guys.:wavey:

6ballsisall
07-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Jeff, I can steer my agent your way if you want. I am currently looking into an plan right now for my guys.:wavey:

PM me his information if you would Bob. I will send that info onto my "friend" ;) in need of this.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-18-2006, 06:09 PM
PM me his information if you would Bob. I will send that info onto my "friend"in need of this.
Ah, that "friend". ;) That must be the same friend everyone has that is embarrased to ask about things for himself. Like the time he had a funny itch and was afraid to ask the doctor about it and the time he was wondering what the phone number for the bail bond agent was, and the time he lost his report card on the way home, and the time he was in Mexico and.....well. And he is ALWAYS afraid to buy Preperation H, so he always asks me to buy that for him. ;) That guy is such a chicken!:rolleyes:

:D

barefoot
07-18-2006, 06:11 PM
I use Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wisconsin. I’m fairly young so it’s relatively inexpensive. I don’t remember what/if anything was covered under pre-existing conditions…usually if something isn’t covered, there is a waiting period. Health insurance is like car insurance…if you shop around, you’ll find there to be situations where apples aren’t being compared to apples. I decided to opt for major medical. A lot of the out of pocket expenses I take care of, but if there was a major accident, there is a higher deductible that I would have to meet in order for insurance to pay.

6ballsisall
07-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Ah, that "friend". ;) That must be the same friend everyone has that is embarrased to ask about things for himself. Like the time he had a funny itch and was afraid to ask the doctor about it and the time he was wondering what the phone number for the bail bond agent was, and the time he lost his report card on the way home, and the time he was in Mexico and.....well. And he is ALWAYS afraid to buy Preperation H, so he always asks me to buy that for him. ;) That guy is such a chicken!

UMP there you go again telling us to much about yourself!! 8p

07-18-2006, 06:19 PM
UMP there you go again telling us to much about yourself!!
Well everyone has that "friend", right guys?.......RIGHT????:confused: :o :o ;)

6ballsisall
07-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Well everyone has that "friend", right guys?.......RIGHT????:confused:

It got awful silent in here UMP. Sorry dude, guess you are alone on this one. :D

07-18-2006, 06:24 PM
It got awful silent in here UMP. Sorry dude, guess you are alone on this one.
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme Lots of support you guys are!!!!:rant:

;)

BrianM
07-18-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm self employed but my wife works for a hospital and gets great health coverage for us cheap.

PendO
07-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Makes sense thanks! Hypothetically speaking the potentially self employed wont have (or want) employees.

I think he was saying to try and jump on someone elses (employee for medical purposes) -... ICBW ...

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Ah, that "friend". ;) That must be the same friend everyone has that is embarrased to ask about things for himself. Like the time he had a funny itch and was afraid to ask the doctor about it and the time he was wondering what the phone number for the bail bond agent was, and the time he lost his report card on the way home, and the time he was in Mexico and.....well. And he is ALWAYS afraid to buy Preperation H, so he always asks me to buy that for him. ;) That guy is such a chicken!:rolleyes:

HB needs to return early, unlock the front door and get you in as an emergency case, real quick or we will have to e-mail Oprah and DrPhil!

Kevin Hickey
07-19-2006, 11:42 AM
You might want to check a HSA (Health Savings Account). It is a high deductible/lower premium policy for a family. You get advantage of a PPO system (discounted rates); you contribute the amount of your deductible into a tax-advantaged account; you get to deduct that same amount on your taxes; you get to withdraw almost all medical expenses tax free from the account; and as a self-employed person, you get to deduct 100% of your premiums from your taxes. Sounds complicated, but check it out. I have had mine with Assurant (Time) Insurance for 5+ years now and I am very pleased with it.