PDA

View Full Version : What is your status?

6ballsisall
07-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Poll:

Are you self employed or an employee?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I am starting to smell that JR is cooking something.....but I dont know what......you thinking about going into biz JR? BTW, good to see you hera my brutha, you havent been around much, but then again, I havent been either!:o

barefoot
07-18-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm in the chemcials business...I move caffeine…lots of it a day….mostly in the form of your daily cup o’ coffee…I own a coffee company.

barefoot
07-18-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm in the chemcials business...I move caffeine…lots of it a day….mostly in the form of your daily cup o’ coffee…I own a coffee company.

Datdude
07-18-2006, 05:15 PM

Which one? Where is it located?

bcampbe7
07-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Jeff, let me know when you start hiring!;)

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Self Employed, 35 years.
Hand Painted Freehand Pinstriping and Old School Sign Lettering, the way it's really done. Paint is for signs, vinyl is for floors and boats!

billr
07-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Self Employed, 18 years.
Electrical Contractor. Service and repair work.

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Self Employed, 18 years.
Electrical Contractor. Service and repair work.

I worked as a Estimator/Draftsman for the 2nd oldest unlimited licensed/4th largest Electrical Contractor in NC for 4 years, till the 3 grandsons of the man who started the company 68 years before, bankrupted the company, with no assets!

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Sorry, double post, this 4pm to 6pm slowdown on the site on my computer sucks and it's only TT, everything is like lightening!

barefoot
07-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Which one? Where is it located?

Roast Coffee Company, Milwaukee, WI (Two blocks away from UW-M)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-18-2006, 06:18 PM
JR, got any employment openings in your outfit for a remote northern location branch office? say.....guitarist, waterskier, super hero? anything like that? :confused:

6ballsisall
07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
JR, got any employment openings in your outfit for a remote northern location branch office? say.....guitarist, waterskier, super hero? anything like that? :confused:

Sorry dude I am trying to get away from having any employees all together. But as they say, we'll keep your resume on file and contact you if anything comes up which you would be qualified for. 8p

peason
07-18-2006, 06:24 PM
I used to work for my father-in-law - not a good situation towards the end. He had a "new' wife that made life difficult - now she is his 2nd ex.
Worked for large corporate company - now work for small distributor in sales - great job, great benefits.

Datdude
07-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Roast Coffee Company, Milwaukee, WI (Two blocks away from UW-M)

How long have you been in business? I am originally from Waukesha, but have not been in the UWM area for a few years.

Threadjack over

BrianM
07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Self Employed. Run a small real estate brokerage firm (2 years) and developement company (5 years).

RexDog1
07-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Civil Engineer
I have had my company for about 8 years now

It pays the bills, and gives me some time to spend with my kids:toast:

wakebroad
07-18-2006, 07:53 PM
I work 12 hours a week taking care of other people's kids while they work out (Mountainside Fitness).

My husband informed me yesterday that he wants to quit his job as a software engineer and write a book about me and try to sell it! :D
Isn't that funny? He's totally serious!
(hope that's not a threadjack...)

Mag_Red
07-18-2006, 07:59 PM
I work 12 hours a week taking care of other people's kids while they work out (Mountainside Fitness).

My husband informed me yesterday that he wants to quit his job as a software engineer and write a book about me and try to sell it! :D
Isn't that funny? He's totally serious!
(hope that's not a threadjack...)Will the book have pictures???:D

wakebroad
07-18-2006, 08:06 PM
LOL! Well, no it's not going to have pictures because I don't want anyone to know it's about me. Too much baaaaaaaad stuff. ;)

Ric
07-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Self Employed, 35 years.
Hand Painted Freehand Pinstriping and Old School Sign Lettering, the way it's really done. Paint is for signs, vinyl is for floors and boats! #1 I know a guy who is big into that
do you know Nouis?

BriEOD
07-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Employee of Uncle Sam. I'll never be a millionaire but the direct deposit will ALWAYS be there on the 1st and 15th.

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Everyone should have a self employed business on the side, of some kind, doing something, even if they work for someone else. If you check into it you will see why!

Granite_33
07-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I work for the "man"...............

6ballsisall
07-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Everyone should have a self employed business on the side, of some kind, doing something, even if they work for someone else. If you check into it you will see why!

SBU's are awesome from a tax perspective!

*consult with a CPA/CFA before doing anything stupid!

sanjuan23
07-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Worked as a Construction Manager for a large home builder and decided it was time to go back to work for the smaller companies. Work for a small Aerospace Tooling distributor and can never imagine working for a company with more than 15 employees.

Granite_33
07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Worked as a Construction Manager for a large home builder and decided it was time to go back to work for the smaller companies. Work for a small Aerospace Tooling distributor and can never imagine working for a company with more than 15 employees.

What makes the small company so much better in your opinion? I'm curious since I am always looking at opportunities and have entertained a few with small companies.

sanjuan23
07-18-2006, 11:29 PM
I worked for them before I graduated, but it was so much more simple. Had a problem walked across the hall. The owner is a really great guy pays well,has a real concern about what is going on in everyone's lives and every once in a while let's me drag him behind my boat. Not to mention the beer drinking starts at 3:30 on Fridays. Not to sound like a jerk but we have already had discussions of me buying the Co. in the next 3-5 years.

Granite_33
07-19-2006, 12:11 AM
I worked for them before I graduated, but it was so much more simple. Had a problem walked across the hall. The owner is a really great guy pays well,has a real concern about what is going on in everyone's lives and every once in a while let's me drag him behind my boat. Not to mention the beer drinking starts at 3:30 on Fridays. Not to sound like a jerk but we have already had discussions of me buying the Co. in the next 3-5 years.

Definitely an ideal situation, especially with having the opportunity to buy the company. I totaly agree with the ability to work out an issue with the owner. If he is engaged in the company and pays well, you have the best of both worlds.

My perspective being in sales is that it is so much more constructive working with the owner of a company / or someone who has part ownership, etc. Their interest is money in the pocket of the company and money in their own pockets.
Dealing with large corporations tends to have the people who are only dealing with purchase targets, purchase price variance targets, savings goals, etc.........which tends to make them miss the forest for the trees.

I enjoy working with small(er) businesses that have that accessibility.

sanjuan23
07-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah it is definitely great to discuss what your possible sales ie slightly smaller percentage at the front end to get larger contracts at the end and working on the larger picture in the long run really makes things better. Which really helps motivate your employees when everyone gains on the bottom line! Wife works for a really large Pharm Co. and although they are No. 2 they really take care of No. 1 (their employee's)

RexDog1
07-19-2006, 11:47 AM
LOL! Well, no it's not going to have pictures because I don't want anyone to know it's about me. Too much baaaaaaaad stuff. ;)

:toast: Hummmmmm the bad stuff?????:toast:

bobbyB
07-19-2006, 01:07 PM
I work for Uncle Sam in the building department for our county. I also run my own home design buisiness on the side. Gotta pay for the toys somehow;)

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 11:52 AM
You can never get paid in 30 days any longer.

CantRepeat
06-21-2011, 12:12 PM
I worked for all of you for about 24 years. Now, you guys pay me to do nothing!

plunk77
06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
DemolitionMan- king of reviving old threads

oxberger
06-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Glad to do it sir! You deserve it and thank you!

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
DemolitionMan- king of reviving old threads

That's right.

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Thank you for your sevice.