PDA

View Full Version : 95 Jeep Wrangler Problems

flyinryn
07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I need car help, I have a 95 jeep Wrangler that I have had for about 5 years. Recently the soft fuel line hose from the gas tank to the hard line split on me leaking lots of gas all over the place. I had the line replaced and ever since then my starts keeping getting harder and harder. If I get it started and then turn it off then go to restart it is fine. Also once started it runs like a champ. In the mornings when I am heading to work it is a little hard to get it started. But the real hard start happens when am leaving for work at the end of a day or if I leave for the weekend and the car sits for a couple of days.

The specs for the motor are 4.0 liter Inline 6 with fuel injection. To me is seems like there might be an air bubble or something in the line or something to the effect. Has anybody else had any problems like this or heard of something along these lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

bbeach
07-18-2006, 04:24 PM
First off it could be an air bubble but I doubt it... Sounds to me more like there could be vacuum leak of some sort and the fuel line can't stay pressurized, which is why its difficult to start once it has set for awhile... The gas in the line more than likely evaporates or runs back to the tank due to lack of pressure.

One other thing... Did you replace the old line with the exact same line, same location on the frame rail? Does the line have any funny bends in it? Crimps?

Sounds to me like your problem is definately fuel line related...

You might try checking the fuel line from the carb back along the frame rail all the way to the fuel tank...

Oh I just thought of something else... Have you ever changed the fuel filter? What about checked the in tank fuel pump? Might check those as well!

Hope this helps...

milkmania
07-18-2006, 05:30 PM
my 93, 95, and 97 suburbans all use had line from the tank to the throttle body....
never heard of them using "soft lines" on a pressurized system. does Jeep do that?:confused:

but, also GM is using in tank pumps...

flyinryn
07-18-2006, 10:37 PM
The weird thing is that i comes out of the tank for about a ft. as a rubber house then it goes to hard line the rest of the way to the motor.

milkmania
07-18-2006, 10:44 PM
The weird thing is that i comes out of the tank for about a ft. as a rubber house then it goes to hard line the rest of the way to the motor.

pressurized with an in-tank fuel pump?

if that's the case, it does seem odd:o

flyinryn
07-18-2006, 11:31 PM
I am not sure about the intake fuel pump.

i just know that there is rubber hose for about a foot.

i thank you for your help so far...

fletch_n_me
07-19-2006, 04:58 AM
Finally a way that I can be helpful on this site.

I am a 3 Jeep owner and have a pretty good idea what it might be because that is the same engine with the same recall as my 97 wrangler. The skinny is likely an O2 sensor that works at its liesure. I am not terribly familiar with the 95 but mine was right exiting the header on the topside.

When mine sat, it would be hard to start but I would go somewhere for 10 minutes and it would fine. The best definition that I heard was that the sensor is looking for something that it has trouble finding in an inactive exhaust and thus tells the efi to adjust unaccordingly. I.e. it was waiting for exhaust and not merely a rush of air from starter driven cranking.

It would cause an error code on the plug-in diagnostic but would not show itself as not functioning. Reason being that it was functioning but not properly and pulling the wrong info to the EFI. Good news is that the sensor is about $20..bad news is that it is not a joy to get to, though possible and has a clip interface so no splicing or wiring necessary.

This increased with age; mine started doing it at 70k. FYI: my performance and fuel economy went up as soon as I got this fixed; noticeably. I got back in and forgot that they can move a little.

Let me know if that makes sense as there was one other less obvious thing that caused a similar prob in my 93 back in the day. Involved check engine lights and a faulty coil. If you want to hear that let me know but I would be surprised if that CO sensor was not it.-J

jimmer2880
07-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Could the the O2 sensor... replace it anyway - it's probably still the factory one. I didn't think it was all that hard on my '92 (same body style). Just get a good quality open-end wrench (the cheaper ones will spread) & it won't be that big of a deal.

My guess, is a pinched hose. Yes, you do have an in-tank fuel pump. Yes, you do have a short rubber line (actually, 2 - 1 send, 1 return). Also - this is important... YES, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN RUBBER LINES FOR A FUEL-INJECTED SYSTEM. When I had my pump go out, I replaced my lines. The nimrod working the NAPA counter who had just handed me my fuel-pump, gave me non-fuel-injected hose. Less than 1 year later, I was back getting fuel-injected hose after the hose he sold me was completely cracked & coating everything in the jeep (no top at that time) with gas - including ME.

Anyway... sorry for the rant - I suspect that one of your hoses is either kinked, or has started to crack already & is sucking air/leaking fuel.

The 2 rubber lines should connect to the hard-lines on your driver's side frame rail (Your filter is just forward of this), then travel through a square gromlet looking piece of rubber, which is between your frame cross-member & the body of the Jeep. When running the rubber lines through that, lube them well (binding slime works great).

What I find most fun, is having to drop the tank to do this job. If you have the 20 gal tank, you'll have to disconnect your muffler mounts so it can flex out of the way. I use a floor-jack to do the lifting while I'm wiggling the tank around to get it into place.

It's a 3-hour job though, so it's not that bad of an ordeal.

jimmer2880
07-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Also - next time I need to do this, I'm cutting an access panel in the rear floor of my jeep just so I don't have to drop the tank again.

flyinryn
07-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Thank you for the help i will head that direction and see what i can do from there.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
my 93, 95, and 97 suburbans all use had line from the tank to the throttle body....
never heard of them using "soft lines" on a pressurized system. does Jeep do that?:confused:
MUCH less pressure.