PDA

View Full Version : Straight boom on a 1987?

zepdog
07-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I found a good deal on a barefoot boom online but it is a staight boom. The person who is selling it told me i just need to to put the bracket up higher on the pylon, he said he used it on his 88.From what i found through my investigating it would only work on a non tapered pylon. To good to be true?

BriEOD
07-18-2006, 08:35 PM
I have an 87 and a non-straight boom. I think it would be really close. The tapered pylon should not be a big deal since you can tighten down the clamp. My advice would be to measure how much taller your pylon is then the side wall of your boat. Keep in mind you will need a good 3-4 inches from the bottom lip of the swivel on the pylon to ensure you can attach the clamp and make sure that it will sit high enough to go out of the boat.

Kevin 89MC
07-18-2006, 11:45 PM
I have a non-straight boom for my '89 also, and I'd doubt a straight would work, without being too high. Grab a 2X4 and lay it on the side of the boat at the height you'd want, and see if it's low enough to be below the taper. I love my ECI boom - best of all the ones I've used.
Good luck,
Kevin