PDA

View Full Version : 03 KD 7000 fin settings.

André
07-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Anyone knows factory fin settings for my ski?
Would like to start playing with my fin setting but just notice that is already in a bit of angle...
I would like to make my 70 " ski "feel" shorter...

LakePirate
07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
I have the 02 settings for the CR7 and 7000 if you want them.

Jorski
07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't know the stock settings (you might try emailing Denny Kidder at D3 for an idea) but take a look at John Horton's Fin Database.

http://www.carbonfins.com/FinChart.htm

Most of the settings are very close, it looks like if you start around length 6.8, depth 2.5 and DFT .78-.80 you would be in the ballpark.

Usually to make a ski feel shorter, you would be moving the fin forward and/or the depth lower.

Cottonwood
07-18-2006, 05:09 PM
The only way to make the 70" ski feel shorter is to move your bindings back one hole.

Jorski
07-18-2006, 05:38 PM
The only way to make the 70" ski feel shorter is to move your bindings back one hole.

That is interesting. I suppose that is due to the smaller wetted surface?

I would have thought to make a long ski turn faster would have required some combination of more tip and a faster sweep at the tail of the ski.
If the distance between the tip and the fin is decreased, it would seem that the diameter of the turn would decrease ? Or am I way off ?

Could you elaborate? I find fin tuning fascinating.

Cottonwood
07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Moving the fin forward speeds up the ski but does not necessarily make it turn faster. By moving the bindings back, you change the pivot point of the lever you are skiing on - therefore making the ski "feel" smaller. Making the fin shallower will allow the ski to "slip" on the backside of the turn and create better angle. Too much slip and the ski won't bite early enough at the back of the turn or will "blow out". Adding tip or length to a fin will make the ski finish earlier on your off side but will hurt your ability to stay wide coming into the ball. Remember, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I found that stock settings are a great place to start. Make one change at a time and start with the bindings. Make certain that they are in the proper position for you. Then move to the fin. The bindings will affect the attitude of the ski in the lean and glide. The fin will affect the turning characteristics. Another tip: when you add depth, take out length - when you subtract depth, add length. Let me know the brand/model of ski you are working with and I'll try to find some helpful info.