PDA

View Full Version : New Boat lift

SKI*MC
07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Hey guys, we just dropped a new boat lift in up north, and i noticed a little thing, that might be an issue, or maybe its not.. but anyways, we took the direct dimensions off the trailer and put it on the boat lift, but when the boat when it sits on the bunks on the boat lift bend down a little bit, and I can see light through it. Heres a picture incase you don't know what I am talking about.

Maristar210
07-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Hey guys, we just dropped a new boat lift in up north, and i noticed a little thing, that might be an issue, or maybe its not.. but anyways, we took the direct dimensions off the trailer and put it on the boat lift, but when the boat when it sits on the bunks on the boat lift bend down a little bit, and I can see light through it. Heres a picture incase you don't know what I am talking about.

Looks like the radius in the lift is greater than the radius on the boat. I would not like that if it were mine.:(

Steve

boatless
07-18-2006, 01:58 PM
We have a Harbor Master lift and it seem like we have the same situation as your. I think it has some thing to do with the flat bottom of the ski boat comparing to the deep V hull. If you look at the MC trailer, you would notice that it hase four bunks. Two toward the front and two at the back on the outer of the trailer. That way the hull would fit nicely on the bunk. But not on the lift, the lift has two long bunks from back to front. So when you place a boat on the bunk, it would cause the bunks to bend and not lay flat to the hull. I hope you understand what I am trying to describe. Anyway, I am afraid that the bunks on the lift might do some thing to the hull since it only has two contact points on each hull. Any thought from any one ?

chudson
07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
[we took the direct dimensions off the trailer and put it on the boat lift]

It looks like where the axle would be on the trailer is about where the gap is on the beam. Could it be that the lift brackets on the hoist need to be placed foward more on the beam? Is that possible. And is the other side that way?

Rockman
07-18-2006, 02:06 PM
The best way to get the bunks set is to have the boat floating in the water with the cradle underneath the boat and then adjust the bunks acordingly.

That's what we did for ours and the entire bunks fit perfectly. Same thing with the guides.

Measuring off the trailer and then getting the measurements to transfer over is just a pain to do and usually does not work right.

boatless
07-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Rockman,
How do you adjust the bunks with the boat floating on top of it ? Unless you adjust by holding your breath and dive under the boat.

boatless

justinlkgb
07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Goggles and a reed just like the cartoons!!LOL I don't know:that is a bummer.

SKI*MC
07-18-2006, 02:55 PM
We have a Harbor Master lift and it seem like we have the same situation as your. I think it has some thing to do with the flat bottom of the ski boat comparing to the deep V hull. If you look at the MC trailer, you would notice that it hase four bunks. Two toward the front and two at the back on the outer of the trailer. That way the hull would fit nicely on the bunk. But not on the lift, the lift has two long bunks from back to front. So when you place a boat on the bunk, it would cause the bunks to bend and not lay flat to the hull. I hope you understand what I am trying to describe. Anyway, I am afraid that the bunks on the lift might do some thing to the hull since it only has two contact points on each hull. Any thought from any one ?

Our boat is an 83, so the trailer doesn't have 4 bunks, just 2.

and chudson i think you have a point here. I just don't like how the boat sits on there... Its not on there all the time, just when we are up north.

Datdude
07-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Is that a Shorestation brand lift? Where did you get the lift?

3event
07-18-2006, 05:36 PM
we've got em on the shore station and they are more "compliant". initially it seemed to me rather scary having the boat sitting on just 2 bunks that have a nice curve to them. but here we are on year #5 and no probs......

Linkster
07-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Ours does the same thing - see pic. I have noticed some lifts on our lake do not even have the bunks. They have these 1'x1' trays, two in front in two in the back supporting 3,000 lb plus boats.

They line up fine under no pressure, but when lifted the bucks flex into what you see. These lifts could maybe use some kind of support in the middle or okay the way the are?

88 PS190
07-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Most lifts I see have bends similar to that, in effort to make the bunks conform to the hull they flex, unfortunately the flex is not necessarily controlled. You cannot set the max bend in the center, and therefore there will be hard spots and soft spots on the radius the rail assumes. Either live with it, or you'll need to make bunks out of solid wood stood long way up and cut out to the exact shape of your boat... Doesn't sound fun does it.

bigmac
07-18-2006, 06:36 PM
I have the same bunks. My Century I/O sat on those for years, and before that, on an old steel Shore Station with only V-bunks fore and aft. No problems. My bunks seem to conform a little better than what I see in your picture, but if my old I/O can hack it, I'm sure our MasterCrafts can.

Rockman
07-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Rockman,
How do you adjust the bunks with the boat floating on top of it ? Unless you adjust by holding your breath and dive under the boat.

boatless

It depends how deep your water is and also how clear it is.

Our lift is in about 4 feet of water and our water is crystal clear.

We only adjusted our bunks once when we got the lift together. So yes, I did put on a mask and snorkel while 2 buddies held the boat in place. It only took about 15 minutes (not in one breath though! :D )

SKI*MC
07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
by the way, i forgot to mension how much I HATED putting together the lift. Maybe it would have been a little easier if I had Pollish blood in me.

JDK
07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
If the bend in the bunks causing the hull gap is bothering you guys that have it (it bothered me), it can pretty much be 'cured' with longer bunks (mine did).
The boat's weight needs to be spread past (outside) the front and rear bunk support brackets to reduce the bending (bowing) load on the bunks and brackets.

SKI*MC
07-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Maybe wood bunks would be a better option...

JDK
07-19-2006, 02:08 PM
You could just bolt pt. wood bunks right ontop of your existing ones. 2x8's 12 or 14 ft. long work great.
The good thing about going to all wood is that they can be twisted (front to back) to follow the 'v' in your hull very nicely.