PDA

View Full Version : 2000 PS190 Stiff Steering

pflcjl
07-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Can anyone offer advice on why my steering has become noticably stiff this season. Last season it was stiff at the beginning but improved after a short time. In the off season, I lifted the floor panels and added marine grease to the grease fittings at the rudder and strut. Doesn't seem to help. Any ideas/suggestions?

rodltg2
07-18-2006, 12:02 PM
time for a new cable dude..

kjohnson
07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree. It is getting ready to fail, which may leave you stranded. It happened to me.

erkoehler
07-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Change out the cable....it should take you about 3 hours if it is your first one.

pflcjl
07-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have a set of instructions or illustrations for changing a steering cable on a 2000 PS 190? Or maybe some tips or tricks??

Jimperry
07-19-2006, 09:23 PM
I have the opposite problem. My steering is very loose and seems to have some play in it. Is there any way to tighten or adjust it??

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 09:38 PM
You guys should switch boats. ;)

pflcjl
07-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Does anyone have a set of instructions or illustrations for changing a steering cable on a 2000 PS 190? Or maybe some tips or tricks??

boyd
07-20-2006, 10:13 PM
If it's like my ski brendella I had to change here is how I did it.
take the dog house and back floor panel out of the boat.
take off the brackets in the back by the rudder that holds it (steering cable)in place.
take out the bolt that holds the end of the cable.
after taking out this bolt there is nothing holding the steering cable.
look under your your dash. there is about 6-8 " of tubing coming out of the steering box. this is left over cable. take the clear tube off, this will expose the cable, it will be spiralled. It will have grease on it. Now turn the steering wheel so the cable comes completely out of the box. the steering wheel will turn freely now since it's disconnected from the rudder in the back of the boat.
Put the other in, in the opposite order.
Check to see you put the cable in the steering box on the correct end.
I took mine out one end and replaced the new one on the opposite end.
When I got in the water my steering was backwards.
Had to redo it on the water with a 9 yr. old, 7 yr. old and my wife.
they were champs. I went from a zero to a hero.
It's really pretty easy. Take your time. If you mess up, you can always put the other back on. I find it helpful to take pics with the digital camera as I'm going so I remember what it looked like before I got started.
Good luck.
others: please feel free to add to or take away.

kjohnson
07-21-2006, 08:25 AM
That was hilarious.