PDA

View Full Version : DVR.....Surveillance, anyone?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Anyone familiar with DVRs?

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I've got one in my dish receiver. But I don't think that's what you're talking about. Basically a hard drive recorder. Probably an option to download or rip the info from it to an external source.

phecksel
07-18-2006, 11:39 AM
oh man, what are you getting into.

I literally gave up. Finally went a local spy ware shop that I've bought things from in the past. They have a product if ordered from the internet is something like $70. I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet. Hauppauge has a capture board that you have to order directly from them.

I found that several mfg's selling the inexpensive capture boards have not so hot reputations on epinions and other sites. I found one mfg that sells other "DVR" boards with an excellent reputation, but they don't have a multiple source capture card.

IMO, you're a little ahead of the industry right now. It's either big money for professional grade products, or cheap money for toy products.

Leroy
07-18-2006, 11:42 AM
I know my little webcam came with a program that would allow you to monitor and store either video or snap shots at programmable intervals. I used it for awhile.

Maristar210
07-18-2006, 11:47 AM

I have a motion activated surveillance camera system hooked to a DVR that records to a hard drive that sends me an e-mail when off hours activity is being generated.

Is that what you are speaking to WFT?

rodltg2
07-18-2006, 11:51 AM
i have one at my office , three cameras . 1 in the showroom 1 in the warhouse and 1 in the shop. dont have it all figured out yet , but it seesm to work simalar to to tivo..

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
oh man, what are you getting into.
You never know....:D

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
I have a motion activated surveillance camera system hooked to a DVR that records to a hard drive that sends me an e-mail when off hours activity is being generated.

Is that what you are speaking to WFT?
Yes, this similar.
Model 1 (http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=837)

Model 2 (http://www.everfocus.com/Product%20HTML%20Pages/EDR410H.htm)

What do you have?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
i have one at my office , three cameras . 1 in the showroom 1 in the warhouse and 1 in the shop. dont have it all figured out yet , but it seesm to work simalar to to tivo..
What brand do you have?

JimN
07-20-2006, 11:18 AM
WFT- do you need high resolution or good coverage over a large area? You can't get both unless you have camera redundancy.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Good coverage is more important.

JimN
07-20-2006, 11:50 AM
If someone shows up and you can't see who it is, what good did it do to have the cameras? The recorder's lines of resolution determine the amount of detail and if a close-up uses 2-3 lines (or a smaller number of pixels), you won't see any detail at all.

What is this for?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
If someone shows up and you can't see who it is, what good did it do to have the cameras? The recorder's lines of resolution determine the amount of detail and if a close-up uses 2-3 lines (or a smaller number of pixels), you won't see any detail at all.

What is this for?
I know, but its close range.
An example of its purpose would be, someone walking up to your front door, back door, or garage doors. Recording 4 (or 8) places at one time on one screen.
Accessible via the internet, and uses NO MORE TAPES..:cool:

Maristar210
07-20-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about with pixel resolution. I have installed dozens of these in ladies dressing rooms and I can see just fine:D (honey you're no size six, go get an 8):uglyhamme

Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about with pixel resolution. I have installed dozens of these in ladies dressing rooms and I can see just fine:D (honey you're no size six, go get an 8):uglyhamme

Steve
Cute........:o

JimN
07-20-2006, 12:40 PM
You can connect most dedicated surveillance DRVs to a computer and access them through the 'net. What kind of budget do yo have for this? I have access to his kind of stuff.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2006, 02:22 PM
I have many resources for the equipment.
I want to see if anyone uses these currently (or at least something similar) and see if there was any good or bad feedback.
The unit I want should not require a PC. I posted the links for the units I was considering. What do you think of those.
Durability, clarity, longevity, dummy proof....

Budget, what's that.....:rolleyes: (Beau, that was for you..)

bcampbe7
07-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Budget, what's that.....:rolleyes: (Beau, that was for you..)

It's hard to hide money! Stuffing it in pillows helps.;) :rolleyes:

Ric
07-20-2006, 03:17 PM
It's hard to hide money! Stuffing it in pillows helps.;) :rolleyes:Do Not hide it in your freezer, wrapped in foil... Apparantly the FBI has that one figured out according to busting that congressman from New Orleans