PDA

View Full Version : New Decals!

Ryan
10-30-2004, 03:12 PM
My old decals were missing letters and I was unable to find exact replacement decals. Once upon a time I saw a 93 MC on Boattrader just like mine but with 98 chrome decals (with the skier shadow). Since then I have been searching for some sweet chrome decals. I figure the size of these compared to OEM are relatively like the Tournament 197 size compared to stock. I'm still searching for a matching set of Prostar decals to finish the job.

A few before during and after pics

Ryan
10-30-2004, 03:15 PM
I have since buffed out those scuff marks on my transom and will get some pics on the water next week.

Wakeboy
04-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Ryan,
Those graphics are great and would look perfect on my '90 190. Please post where you got them. I checked ebay (in the jpg file name) and found nothing. Please let me know!!
Doug

Wakeboy
04-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Oh. BTW-- my tow vehicle is also a black Disco II! Carma?

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Photos look good....

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 10:52 AM
If you do a search for "domed letters" either here or in the archives, you'll find a source for them.

Ryan
05-03-2005, 01:10 PM
I got lucky finding them on Ebay. It's not often that genuine MC decals show up there. They are decal part number 758020.

I got the transom decal from my dealer, it is not drip-mold (or what ever you call them) and do not have the number for it. I should have posted the numbers when I started the thread. Decals are such a low margin item that I had a hard time finding a dealer to look up the right part numbers. Some dealers call them "Drip-mold", "Drip-molded", "Flex-on", or the mentioned "Domed". That part number ought to be routed to the whole set. I recomend cutting them in half, be careful with spacing, so that you can rotate the transfer sheet to follow the contour of the boat.

New pic, new tow vehicle. I love black... Red was #1 choice, but no one makes a "real red" Mid-Full sized SUV any more.

AirJunky
05-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Black does look kinda cool, huh. I prefer the clean look though. Stripped all the decals off the boat & truck.

I have to get a new shot though. The truck now has a canopy & the boat has a new swimstep, dual mirrors & speakers on the tower.

Ryan
05-03-2005, 02:23 PM
What did you do with your old platform? Any chance you still have the brackets for them?

My boat was without decals for about six months. That cleaner look is part of the reason I have not put on the newer Prostar190 decals. I still debate whether to get them. The look grew on me, but I didn't want the boat to be mistaken for a MB Sports.

I need some new wheels, but I'll hang onto these galvanized ones until I move away from salt water.

AirJunky
05-03-2005, 02:54 PM
I used the old brackets for the new swimstep. The old teak I'm currently working on stripping it down. Still not sure what I'll do with it. Either sell it or I thought of making a patio bench out of it. The PO got a rope caught in the prop & broke one corner of it pretty badly...... which is why is has a couple of long SS lag screws in it & I covered it with Traxx several years ago. Thought it might be funny as a bench on the patio.... kind of goes with the skis & boards screwed to the fence. ;)

Same thing happened when I stripped my decals off. I didn't see the need to have ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION or 4X4 SPORT across the sides of the boat & truck. So when I got it all cleaned up, people started complimenting it, and I decided it looked pretty good like it was. Now only the true MC fans know what it is.

94PS190
05-03-2005, 04:36 PM
I ordered new decals from E-decals direct about 3 weeks ago. Haven't recieved anything but promises so far. I will let you guy's know how they are if I ever recieve them.

sten76
05-03-2005, 06:27 PM
What's the easiest way to strip the decals off? Hair Dryer? Heat Gun?

AirJunky
05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Hair dryer worked in my case. Heat gun works too, but be careful with it.

SKI*MC
05-03-2005, 08:38 PM
we got some small transom ones, we gots them from Rambo Marine, we didnt use them so we have to return them

sten76
05-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Hair dryer worked in my case. Heat gun works too, but be careful with it.

Can the heat gun hurt the gel coat?

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:17 AM
yes, it could if not used properly, or focused in one area to long.

Ryan
05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
My wife was proud her hairdryer was powerful enough to do the job. I suppose if you had some cheap hotel dryer it may slow you down.

I used SimpleGreen for the excess adhesive on the gelcoat and it came right off with no threat of discoloration or chemical stench. Although, for one tough spot I did very gently use a new wetted putty knife.

I recomend using 3M's Restorer (or similar) with a low RPM buffer before the new ones go on. If you are replacing old decals with a different size, or your boat is in absolute pristine condition this may not be necessary. I have seen other boats that have some crazy shadowing from the unexposed gelcoat where the old decals were.

G-man
05-04-2005, 03:28 PM
A heat gun can turn the gel coat to a nice shade of brown. Looks a lot like toast. Use the hair dryer, it will get the job done. 3M adhesive remover works well as does Bestine Rubber Cement remover-thinner. The best part about Bestine is it doesn't eat into plastic. Avalable at art supply stores.

Saul
05-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Can anyone send me an image of the actual prostar logo (jpg, tif,...).
I already made a search on the web but couldn't find anything with enough resolution.
It must to be a digital format (not a photo!) to send to a plotter to cut the decal.
I would be very grateful with your help because buying OEM decals would be very expensive and take too many time due to my localization.

Thanks for your kind cooperation!

BriEOD
05-05-2005, 08:37 AM
When I re-did mine this winter I used a propane torch. Keep it about 3-4 inches away from the boat though. Hit it for a few seconds and it peels off like butter. My decals/stripe was almost 20 years old.

east tx skier
05-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Welcome, Saul. Just to see if we can get a response for you, Saul owns a 1992 Prostar 190. I think my 205 rear decals are slightly different.

94PS190
05-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Still waiting for my Decals from E-decalsdirect. I was told they shipped friday but not here yet. Glad I paid extra for express shipping. There has got to be someone better.

Saul
05-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks for your reply east tx skier! The logo I'm searching for it's that one like the top of this page, but like I said with better graphic resolution (doesn´t matter color or size).
I made the MC logos of both sides and rear machined logo by this same way and now I would like to do the same with the Prostar logos.

94PS190
05-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Don't try E-decalsdirect. Decals didn't arive today and I have called them twice. Both times they said they would check it out and get back to me. They are as good at returning calls as they are shipping decals!

Cloaked
05-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Don't try E-decalsdirect. Decals didn't arive today and I have called them twice. Both times they said they would check it out and get back to me. They are as good at returning calls as they are shipping decals!Didn't that guy log on here and post his boast about his work? Or was that another forum I am thinking about?

My one pet peave... Don't tell me one thing and do another.... But I forgive Katie at the MC Pro Shop.. She made me laugh with originality and diligence. Each new day and each new story, that was her's and she was sticking to it for at least 24 hours... :D :D

94PS190
05-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Decals finally arrived yesterday. They are as promised and match the factory decals. I am happy with them. They just need to work on customer service!

Jorski
05-11-2005, 08:14 AM
94PS190,

Please post some before and after pics !!!! Would love to see them.

94PS190
05-11-2005, 10:06 AM
It might take me a while, but I will get to it. I have 3 of the five on. Looks good!

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Can't wait to see the pics, but get out on the water before you worry about that...

94PS190
05-13-2005, 01:01 PM
It's going in today! Just getting used to posting pic's here. Having a little trouble sizing them , but here it is.

MarkP
05-13-2005, 01:07 PM
It's going in today! Just getting used to posting pic's here. Having a little trouble sizing them , but here it is.Great looking boat:worthy: !!

Ah, but is that pink;) ??

94PS190
05-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I know, I am not a big fan of pink either. But I wanted a 94 and it was clean.

Crash
05-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey, that's my boat!

At first I hesitated on Pink, but then having a son and daughter I thought it approriate. Now it's grown on me as unique.

MarkP
05-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I know, I am not a big fan of pink either. But I wanted a 94 and it was clean.Just bustin your chops a little.. Thats about like my boat too.http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=12

Again, great lookin boat:toast: