PDA

View Full Version : Footin gone bad

whitedog
07-18-2006, 01:16 AM
Last night at our during our clubs regular show my 16 year old was injured in a freak footing accident. :eek: While not as bad as Tex's jumping train wreck it may have ended his season for this year, still to soon to tell. Doc says maybe two weeks but more likely four to six weeks.:(

Was in the barefoot line with 12 other footers (13 total) doing step off starts the guy next to him fell, my son stepped on his handle, fell forward, right arm went through the handle, was drug about 75 ft before the boat got shut down. Extent of injuries, dislocated shoulder, dislocated bones in wrist, bruised bones in lower arm, stretched tendons and possable permanent nerve damage in right hand. Too soon to tell swelling in carpel area has to go down to know extent of nerve damage. He has no grip strength or feeling in his thumb or pinky finger at this time but the doc says should be able to regain 75 to 80% of pre-injury strength with therapy. Wish him luck he is pretty bummed, not only can he not ski but he cannot hold his guitar pick either.:mad:

Only good side to this is Dad gets more ski time and my son can still drive for me.:rolleyes:

Mag_Red
07-18-2006, 06:18 AM
:eek: Sounds like your son is lucky the injury wasn't worse. We all hope he has a quick and complete recovery.

School Skier
07-18-2006, 07:19 AM
What a freak accident. Best of luck to your son in his recovery and rehab. Gods speed to him!

Davo
07-18-2006, 07:42 AM
That stinks! :mad:

I agree with Mag - it sounds like it could have been worse, but regardless a bad accident and an unfortunate one at that. You can't blame the guy next to him though - 13 guys in a footin' line can be a risky stunt.

I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery!

Dan K
07-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your son's accident. I always wondered how someone could get caught up in the handle, I guess this is one explanation.

whitedog
07-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Yeh, we feel he was pretty lucky it was not much worse. He is a pretty tough kid and is now playing his injury for sympothy from the girls.:rolleyes:

jimmer2880
07-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Wow - very sorry to hear that about your son. You are very lucky that's all that is wrong (not that it wasn't bad enough - but you get my point).

Hope his recovery is better than 80%... That would stink at his young age to loose 20%.

pilot02
07-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Last night at our during our clubs regular show my 16 year old was injured in a freak footing accident. :eek: While not as bad as Tex's jumping train wreck it may have ended his season for this year, still to soon to tell. Doc says maybe two weeks but more likely four to six weeks.:(

Was in the barefoot line with 12 other footers (13 total) doing step off starts the guy next to him fell, my son stepped on his handle, fell forward, right arm went through the handle, was drug about 75 ft before the boat got shut down. Extent of injuries, dislocated shoulder, dislocated bones in wrist, bruised bones in lower arm, stretched tendons and possable permanent nerve damage in right hand. Too soon to tell swelling in carpel area has to go down to know extent of nerve damage. He has no grip strength or feeling in his thumb or pinky finger at this time but the doc says should be able to regain 75 to 80% of pre-injury strength with therapy. Wish him luck he is pretty bummed, not only can he not ski but he cannot hold his guitar pick either.:mad:

Only good side to this is Dad gets more ski time and my son can still drive for me.:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your son. That could have been a much more serious situation. I had someone fall footin off of my boom about 4yrs ago and I'm not sure if he went through the handle but he sheared both bones in the arm just above his elbow. Not a pretty sight!

jbfootin
07-18-2006, 09:21 AM
I had a similar, but not as bad, case of getting caught in the rope on a wipe out over the ramp. Hopefully his age will help him heal quickly!

Rockman
07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Whitedog,

Sorry to hear about. Hope he makes a speedy recovery and gets back on the water soon!

tex
07-19-2006, 09:55 PM
I put my arm through the handle once. The worst single pain ever! Tell him that we are sorry and are thinking positive thoughts!

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Sorry to hear of your son's accident. Best wishes to him. Get well soon.

barefoot
07-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Wish him well…And if he gets bummed during this recovery, send him over here. He’ll see that everyone is rooting for him!

I haven’t had any injuries like that. The worst one I experienced was when we were doing a footin’ line of 12 and there was one guy wanging farther left then I. When he stepped off, he was a good 10 feet out from me. The next thing I know, he bulleting right towards me…he stepped off too slow and couldn’t keep his distance. I crouch down to bear the impact…he smashes into me, rolls over the top of my back, and I face plant the water with him on top of me. Lost my breath, swallowed a bunch of water, and wrenched my back. I laid in the water for about 5 minutes until I could move.

jlf
07-20-2006, 08:58 AM
I am glad to hear he is going to be okay. That had to be very scary for you to see and then wait until they got to him. Kids are surprisingly adapatable, he'll bounce right back. If he sticks with his therpy and does what the doctors tell him to do, he'll make a fast and full recovery. I think he did it because he didn't want to help move this weekend!! (just kidding)

bcampbe7
07-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Sorry to hear this Whitedog. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

I dislocated my shoulder playing junior high football. Had the stretched tendons and all.

Make sure he stays on top of the therapy and does exactly what they tell him to. I didn't do my strength exercises and have never regained the strength of the shoulder and can still pull it slightly out of socket. It's a neat party gag but not good for much of anything else.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Wow, this is bad news. Pretty scary! I wish him a speedy recovery. Get well soon.