PDA

View Full Version : Need a fix for 30th seat....

Farmer Ted
07-17-2006, 11:26 PM
These fruity little placards/decals have fallen off

the adhesive that was used just doesn't adhere anymore

I went ahead and pulled this one off the rest of the way so it wouldn't get ripped up.

now here's the dilema

replace the skins with this on it and wait 3 or 4 years for them to fall off
(chances are I won't own the boat in 3 or 4 years but I don't want to pass the problem on)

replace the skins without the decals and just live with it

replace the skins and get the thing embroidered on it (I can get the thing made like a patch which could be sew on but it would be costly)

replace the skins without the thing on it and beg and plead with MC to just embroider "30th" on it similar to the 35th seats.

right now, I've got a big glob of brown/yellow adhesive that will not come off.

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/30th.jpg

erkoehler
07-17-2006, 11:45 PM
I would try a heat gun and plastic putty knife to get the "goo" off of the seat. JUST BE CAREFUL.

And if your having it re-done, have the emblem embroidered.

Farmer Ted
07-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I would try a heat gun and plastic putty knife to get the "goo" off of the seat. JUST BE CAREFUL.

And if your having it re-done, have the emblem embroidered.

hey can you see how much it would cost for the front skin and the back of the rear skin

done up for the 30th (red/blue piping) but no decal, just plain white

erkoehler
07-18-2006, 12:01 AM
That is no longer available from MC, I would try a local vinyl shop.

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 09:33 AM
I would try most any brand of auto refinish, adhesive, silicone, oil and wax remover. Just dab in on with a soft rag to soften, but then again it could be some type of iron on heat set plastic adhesive that would be hard to remove.

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 11:38 AM
That is no longer available from MC, I would try a local vinyl shop.

Erk, do you mean, no longer available with the decal? Lex told me (as of this month) that vinyl would be available for 10 years back.

Jim@BAWS
07-18-2006, 11:53 AM
The observer seat skins are available. The LOGO is not.
Keep the logo as something unique from MC. When I SOLD a 98
Stars and Stripes the LOGO was falling off. He just made a plaque
for himself then replaced the skin.

Let me know if I can help

Jim@BAWS

PS ACETONE is NOT recommended on seat skins. Try a little
laquer thinner. A Little ACETONE will work DO NOT SOAK the rag.

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Jim, haven't seen you on in a while. Can you confirm what I mentioned about ten years for vinyl being the current word on the subject?

Farmer Ted
07-18-2006, 12:22 PM
The observer seat skins are available. The LOGO is not.
Keep the logo as something unique from MC. When I SOLD a 98
Stars and Stripes the LOGO was falling off. He just made a plaque
for himself then replaced the skin.

Let me know if I can help

Jim@BAWS

PS ACETONE is NOT recommended on seat skins. Try a little
laquer thinner. A Little ACETONE will work DO NOT SOAK the rag.

so what would the skins (white with red/blue piping) run for the front observer seat and the upper half of the back seat.

bepresto
07-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey Farmer, Our Patch Fell Off As Well Last Year. I Do Not Recall What We Used To Put It Back On. I Think My Dad Took It To The Local Upholstry Shop And They Used Something To Get It Back On.

And Hey Erk And Farmer, Since You Know That They Do Not Have These Patches Available Anymore, Do You Know If They Have The Banner That Runs Down The Side Of The 98 Stars And Stripes. Ours Has A Couple Of Nicks In It And Was Wondering About Getting A New One To Replace It With.

erkoehler
07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Erk, do you mean, no longer available with the decal? Lex told me (as of this month) that vinyl would be available for 10 years back.

w/ the decal is what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

Farmer Ted
07-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey Farmer, Our Patch Fell Off As Well Last Year. I Do Not Recall What We Used To Put It Back On. I Think My Dad Took It To The Local Upholstry Shop And They Used Something To Get It Back On.

And Hey Erk And Farmer, Since You Know That They Do Not Have These Patches Available Anymore, Do You Know If They Have The Banner That Runs Down The Side Of The 98 Stars And Stripes. Ours Has A Couple Of Nicks In It And Was Wondering About Getting A New One To Replace It With.

well I got a replacement flag decal for $350 (only needed one side so I'm not sure what they did with the other or if that was the one side price)

It helps if your dealer has somebody who knows how to do a dope deal

I also was able to get a new (30th Anniversarry) decal for the back made and it only cost $30 bucks, again it helps to know someone who can wheel and deal

I'm sure that if your dealer had a spare moment for a low margin job they might be able to help you out?