PDA

View Full Version : 82 Pcm

ski_king
07-17-2006, 10:54 PM
My 82 with the 351 PCM conversion had a wierd problem today.

I launched it and it ran fine, I ran around for about 3 minutes and went to the dock.
About 30 minutes later when I wen to take the kids out skiing, all it did when I turned the key was a quick click. I then had no electrical power to anything. The "click" sounded like it might have come from the circuit breaker on the back of the engine. When I pushed it to see if it needed reset, it felt like it had tripped, but I still didnt have any power.
My next step was to check the battery cables. The battery is under the observer seat. When I was lifting the seat, on came the blower (the switch was in the on position), my electrical power was restored.
I checked the battery connections, and all the other connections I could find and everything checked out and was tight.

Does anybody have a clue what the problem may have been?
I dont want to have it let me down miles from the dock.

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Sounds like a poor battery connection. If you have a post type battery, try a pair of those red and green felt battery washers that go under the bolt on terminals, to aid in keeping the connections clean. The vibration of the boat on the water can cause the lead battery cable ends to shake loose and sometimes a post in the battery will break loose inside the battery, causing a loss of power. Also if it's not a loose post, once the battery cable end is bolted to the battery post securely, drill a small hole through the lead cable end into the post and insert a small long S/S screw into the cable end and into the post to make a good connection. It worked for a friend who had a on/off power problem.

ski_king
07-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks TMC No1.

I have the felt washers and my battery connections are clean and tight. I replaced the cable ends last year as well.
My battery is a one year old Optima Red Top (yes, I know should have gotten the Yellow?)

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks TMC No1.

I have the felt washers and my battery connections are clean and tight. I replaced the cable ends last year as well.
My battery is a one year old Optima Red Top (yes, I know should have gotten the Yellow?)

Boat might have just had a brain poot!!!!!:rolleyes: :D :eek:

EFiles
07-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I had a similar problem a few years ago. Every now and then the boat would just go completely dead. No lights, guages, blower, nothing. Fiddle with the key for a while and it would fire right up. It was either completely dead or functioning normally. It would also blow the bulbs in the running lights. Replaced the main circuit breaker. Didn't solve it. Checked the ignition wiring. Replaced battery cable ends. Still didn't solve it.

Finally replaced the entire set of battery cables (5 years ago) and it hasn't happened since. I think that even though I had trimmed the corroded sections of cable and installed new ends, the corrosion and "rot" had spread up into the cable where it wasn't obvious.

ski_king
07-18-2006, 11:23 PM
You may be on to something here. In the spring of 05 while I was getting the boat ready, my battery fried. I assumed it shorted out a cell, but it became hot and was smoking (scared the crap out of me). I had to quickly disconect the cables and they were hot. Maybe the cables were damaged and need replaced.

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 11:48 PM
You may be on to something here. In the spring of 05 while I was getting the boat ready, my battery fried. I assumed it shorted out a cell, but it became hot and was smoking (scared the crap out of me). I had to quickly disconect the cables and they were hot. Maybe the cables were damaged and need replaced.

Now that you have mentioned that, I would think that may be your problem and replacing them should cure your problem.