PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys leave the boat running?

endl
07-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Do you guys leave your boat running while changing boarders/skiers ect. My understanding has always been inboard boats are ok to leave running due to Morse controls being safer ect. I pull out the safety enguage lock/switch switch ect. What is right or wrong?

Farmer Ted
07-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Do you guys leave your boat running while changing boarders/skiers ect. My understanding has always been inboard boats are ok to leave running due to Morse controls being safer ect. I pull out the safety enguage lock/switch switch ect. What is right or wrong?

our engine is alway turned off prior to anyone entereing the water or getting near the swim platform to board

keeps the kids in check so they don't sneak up on the driver and try and climb in with the motor running

DanC
07-17-2006, 06:39 PM
I always turn the engine off if it is going to be more than 30 seconds.

Saves fuel
Exhaust smells and the CO issue
It is now the law in California

'Course when I had little kids in the boat (napping) I didn't turn the engine off for anything :D .

milkmania
07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
our engine is alway turned off prior to anyone entereing the water or getting near the swim platform to board

keeps the kids in check so they don't sneak up on the driver and try and climb in with the motor running

I agree completely, it's easy to get lazy, and it's even easier for an accident to happen.....
I want my time on the water to be a pleasurable experience, not one where I have to haull *** to the local marina and wait for an ambulance.

never would I imagine getting in the water or boarding my boat otherwise.....engine is always off!

Maristar210
07-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Always off on our boat. Dangerous and I don't want to breathe that crap, I need all the oxygen I can get while I put my board on:D

Steve

G-man
07-17-2006, 08:04 PM
No way is the engine left on. Why risk it???

jimmer2880
07-17-2006, 08:17 PM
I know someone who was ran-over by an inboard. Almost cost him his life.

Knowing that - we almost always turn it off now. Unless, it's very early or late season & we are down-river of our place.

Farmer Ted
07-17-2006, 08:30 PM
No way is the engine left on. Why risk it???

G

how was ski skewl?

any pixs?

rick s.
07-17-2006, 08:37 PM
I think that I'm an ultra safe and responsible boat owner. But I do not always turn the engine off when someone's on the swim platform putting on equipment. If it's a swim break with lots of people in the water, the motor's always off. If it's to change boarders, the engine may not be off.

In the delta with the current and / or the wind, sometimes you need the engine running to be able to move the boat. If I'm gonna move the boat, I always tell whomevers on the swim platform that I'm gonna move the boat, and always do it slowly.

If whomever's on the platform is going to be there awhile, and it's safe to turn the motor off, then I turn the motor off.

bret
07-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Family and kids, always off.

Guys in the ski club, someone has taken a fall, say the back foot came out, sometimes leave it running while they hop on and slime it back in, then they're either back in or we idle to the end of the course. Sometimes I do this because I have the code 5 ignition and the driver has hit the wrong button before - I hate the starter sound when it hits the flywheel.

wiltok
07-17-2006, 09:01 PM
We hae switching down to a science - takes 1-2 minutes to change skiers (when we are skiing seriously with experienced people).

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 09:28 PM

Unless they have been removed, you should have Warning Decals on the transom and near the driver controls that say, "Always stop engine while persons are boarding or entering the water" or something to that effect! Simular WARNINGS are plastered all over your owners manual with simular statements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barefoot
07-17-2006, 09:30 PM
We throw caution to the wind….alright, that might be a little too careless. There’s a group of guys that I ski with and if we are doing an after work speed session, the engine rarely shuts off. Usually when one skier is done, the other is ready and in the water. On the other hand, if it’s on a weekend and with people we ski with on occasion, we turn the engine off. Women and children…always.

Jwhitsett1129
07-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I usually play it safe and keep it off and turn the blower on...no reason to risk the dangers of CO. I may leave it running if the rider is already out of the bindings and can just hop in the boat, but I always kill it when switching riders.

boyd
07-17-2006, 10:02 PM
That's interesting that it's a state law in Cal. Is it a st. law to not let the engine idle (to save fuel) or is it a st. law to turn it off when people are loading the boat? If it's because of fuel conservation that would be funny!! Especially if they still have drive-thru windows at McDonalds.

ski_king
07-17-2006, 10:02 PM
I always shut the motor down and keep the blower running.

It has become such a habit I had a hard time a few yeasrs ago when we had a dead battery that needed to be jumped and we didnt want to waste the early morning glass. We broke the rules that day, but played it as safe as we could with the motor running. The problem was it was instict to automatically shut the engine down for me. We had to paddle back to the dock twice that morning to get a jump start.

JohnE
07-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I've always shut engine off, and wondered almost every time if I was being paranoid or over cautious. Glad to see I'm not. Or at least if I am I'm not alone.

nroland
07-17-2006, 10:11 PM
For us it depends ... if we are switching skiers and they are ready, we don't usually shut it off, however with wakeboarding ... we almost always shut it off (because it takes so darn long for them to get ready).

The blower is always on (but mainly because we forget to shut it off when underway).

mpmartin
07-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Always off. I just wanted to see my new avatar.
After much thought I went with the above. Because this is my favorite drink. Vodka, up with two olives. :D

RobertT
07-17-2006, 11:28 PM
I hate to be the only one in the group....but my blower almost NEVER is ran. I usually keep the engine cover open at night and even when I dont I start the boat without the blower.

If somebody is just jumping from the water into the boat, I never turn it off. We are usually 30 seconds from rider to rider, so we are moving pretty quick.

It that the best decision...probably not...but I am being honest.

If a kid is on the back getting a board on, boat is off. That is a must.

It also depends on the wind. If its one of those erie calm days, I turn it off all the time. One must savor the beauty of a boat in glass. The engine noise detracts from that...plus I feel safer with a breeze.

The ONLY reason we turn it off is because of CO issues. I am not worried about the prop. With my crew and family they don't get close, and we take it out of gear way before they get close.

dapicatti
07-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Always off, we had too many years owning a I/O and its ingrained in my brain to turn it off. Plus, since it takes awhile for the wakeboarders to gear up, the little kids are always jumping off the swimdeck! Keeps it fun for everyone!

SoCalBrew
07-18-2006, 01:54 AM
The CO risks are too high... much higher than most people think. Why risk it.

Check out this article on CO:

http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/co.asp

and this recent one.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/07/earlyshow/main1782707.shtml

RobertT
07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Mine will go off for now on!

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Mine will go off for now on!

Great decision RobertT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kell
07-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Always off on our boat as well with the blower running at all times at rest and idle. Considering my children are 3 and 6, I want them to be aware of the dangers/risks of having the motor running as all of you have mentioned in the above posts. My kids always ask if the motor is off when going to the swim platform. When their older and around other types of boats, especially non-inboard boats, they will understand these risks and act accordingly.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Shut it down most of the time, say 99%

RexDog1
07-18-2006, 10:33 AM
I turn it off, it is the law in Cali. Blower is on
it cuts down the CO

Why risk it? The engine start, just turn the key:twocents:

DanC
07-18-2006, 10:35 AM
That's interesting that it's a state law in Cal. Is it a st. law to not let the engine idle (to save fuel) or is it a st. law to turn it off when people are loading the boat? If it's because of fuel conservation that would be funny!! Especially if they still have drive-thru windows at McDonalds.

It is part of the CO law. You can still leave the engine on during short docking or boarding procedures.

jraben8
07-18-2006, 10:40 AM
CO scares the daylights out of me and for whatever reason my '99 seems worse than my '87 was or at least I know how to notice it now. I'll shut mine down 99% of the time just because you never really know until it's too late.

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 11:30 AM
If someone is on the wet side of the transom, i.e., on the platform or in the water, the engine is off before they step over. No exceptions.

phecksel
07-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Are you willing to risk someone's foot over turning off the engine? Can you absolutely guarantee the props not turning?

That being said, most of the people in our ski club are using double boots and will get in the water while the boat is moving forward with transmission in neutral and engine idling. Getting back in the boat, ignition is off.

Leroy
07-18-2006, 11:46 AM
I run the blower all the time and kill the engine asap when people are getting in/out. I will move short distances with someone on the platform at idle.

El Jeffe
07-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I never leave it running...

peason
07-18-2006, 12:17 PM
We turn it off and start it only when the skier is in the water and tells the driver "slack out".

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-18-2006, 12:32 PM
we usually always turn it off when changing skiers cuz it takes time to slime in the ski, etc... and I have the blower on when I get out of my truck at the marina until the boat goes back on the trailer, unless we stop to eat lunch or something, but It goes back on for a good amount of time before restarting the engine. My cousin was nearly killed when he started his boat without the blower and the boat exploded. He and his friend were lucky to be alive, they were both blown out of the boat and the boat's hull was split in two from the explosion. Do you think he remembers to turn the blower on now?

jimmer2880
07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
we usually always turn it off when changing skiers cuz it takes time to slime in the ski, etc... and I have the blower on when I get out of my truck at the marina until the boat goes back on the trailer, unless we stop to eat lunch or something, but It goes back on for a good amount of time before restarting the engine. My cousin was nearly killed when he started his boat without the blower and the boat exploded. He and his friend were lucky to be alive, they were both blown out of the boat and the boat's hull was split in two from the explosion. Do you think he remembers to turn the blower on now?

I'm with you on the blower. I re-wired my boat so that if the ignition is turned on - the blower is on. That way, I don't forget to turn it off when we leave for the day (killed my battery a couple times before I learned I needed help turning it off).

wiltok
07-18-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm with you on the blower. I re-wired my boat so that if the ignition is turned on - the blower is on. That way, I don't forget to turn it off when we leave for the day (killed my battery a couple times before I learned I needed help turning it off).

But aren't you supposed to run the blower for several minutes before starting the engine? It kind of defeats the purpose if you wire it to the ignition (unless you leave the ignition on or have an override). Just my 2cents....

Ric
07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Murphy and I have a deal.... When at all possible, I take the safe side... Engine off when riders are loading or unloading or when anyone is on the platform
I turn the blower on when I shut the motor off.. this gets me ready for when I restart the engine.. It's kinda habit now
I let my brother drive some this weekend while I took in some cool water on the shore with the kids and I realized how many things I do as a habit that I need to verbalize to a new driver

jraben8
07-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Murphy and I have a deal.... When at all possible, I take the safe side... Engine off when riders are loading or unloading or when anyone is on the platform
I run turn the blower on when I shut the motor off.. this gets me ready for when I restart the engine.. It's kinda habit now
I let my brother drive some this weekend while I took in some cool water on the shore with the kids and I realized how many things I do as a habit that I need to verbalize to a new driver

I have a friend that has asked for my help. He is a new boat owner of his first and I'm starting to compile a list of my habits to relay to him. This should probably be initiated in another thread because I know that I'm definately not perfect by the stretch of anyone's imagination and I know I'm going to forget to tell him something. But when you really sit and think about it, for most of us, this is all habit that we don't think about because we have practiced it for so long.

Rixter_69
07-18-2006, 02:08 PM

We always turn the engine off, it's kind of a ritual that I've always gone through.

I will slowly approach the rider, always keeping them on the drivers side about 4-6 feet from the boat, then I give a slight turn left just as the bow reaches the rider, put the boat in nuetral so the swim platform swings in their direction and usually stops so they can easily climb aboard without any swimming. I hit the blower and kill the engine and the engine doesn't start again until the next rider is in the water and gives me the "clear " signal or everyone is back in the boat.

Jwhitsett1129
07-18-2006, 02:08 PM
At nearly $3 a gallon I figure ya might as well kill it and save the fuel anyway...

BrianM
07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
When skiing the course with the guys we probably turn it of about 50% of the time. A lot of times someone will hop on the platform to put a boot on and we idle over to the end of the course while going through the process.

Kids and newbies the boat gets turned off all the time.

yzwiley
07-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Do you guys leave your boat running while changing boarders/skiers ect.

Only when I want that drunk effer to chill out. Let the fumes do the work. Especially after he's spilled his fifth beer all over the interior again.

In all seriousness; I never leave the boat running. I shut it off ASAP in respect to the safety of everyone.

vinniep
07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Rick, I agree. We sometimes more often than not, find otherselves in an area where we need to be able to move the boat a little while our boarder is getting ready. I do however see the safety concerns with leaving it running especially if you have small kids on board.

rick s.
07-18-2006, 10:29 PM
please help me out here. what does having the blower on or off have to do with CO?

sanjuan23
07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Nothing! The Blower is only getting the Gas fumes out from your bilge to the rear of the boat.

Granite_33
07-18-2006, 11:58 PM
90% of the time its off.

Once in a while we keep it running. Mainly in the AM to let it warm up.

After a run, off. Kids in the boat, off

Its too easy to turn off, so why not?

skipaola
07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
I almost always turn mine off unless like others the skier is nearly ready to jump off.

Is the main concern here CO or the prop or both?

I understand the concern with CO even with the engine at an idle, but what about the prop. With the boat transmission in neutral and the engine idling I've always assumed the prop was not turning. Is this correct or not?

Ric
07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
for me, it's the prop that's the concern.
too much going on with my bunch to risk somebody accidentally not getting all the way into neutral and then bumping the throttle or any other million possibities..

6ballsisall
07-19-2006, 08:17 PM
please help me out here. what does having the blower on or off have to do with CO?

Zilch, nada, nothing!

I am 50/50. Usually do but every once in a while forget or the next skier is to eager to get out there and goes for it before I shut down.

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 10:01 PM
for me, it's the prop that's the concern.
too much going on with my bunch to risk somebody accidentally not getting all the way into neutral and then bumping the throttle or any other million possibities..

Exactly my reason. It could be on the front of the boat and I'd kill the engine.