PDA

View Full Version : Trailering opinions........

boyd
07-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm sure trailering is like belly buttons, everyone has their own opinions.
And also, different things work better for different people. Here is what I do and was wondering if it was the best or better ways of putting a boat on a trailer after reading the prop hitting thread.

I put the trailer in the water, on an average ramp, with about 4" of the wheel well showing or just above the top of the tire. I very gentlly drive the boat on the trailer where my son let out about 3' of slack in the wench. I let go of the steering wheel and give a little gas while he is winching, figuring the winch is pulling straight. When we are in the V I have to give it quite a bit of gas to get the last foot. He continues to winch and when it touches the boat buddy he locks the winch. I get off the boat engage the BB and off we go. Even with the V my boat always sits touching the left wheel well, so I have to rock it a couple of times to get it off. My main thought was,.... should I sink the trailer more? Do most of you give gas or float all the way up and let the boat settle while you are driving off the ramp? Thoughts???
Only had my boat about 3weeks.

Rockman
07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Drop the trailer in until the water is just above the fender and then gas up slowly until you hear the boat buddy click.

Check your trailer's bunks. Are they set straight? How about your trailer guides as well?

They might be slightly off or bent.

Just my :twocents:

JDK
07-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Even with the V my boat always sits touching the left wheel well, so I have to rock it a couple of times to get it off. My main thought was,.... should I sink the trailer more? Do most of you give gas or float all the way up and let the boat settle while you are driving off the ramp? Thoughts???
Only had my boat about 3weeks.

Why not sink the trailer far enough to float the boat all the way onto trailer, then as someone pulls the loaded trailer out of the water...slowly....guide the boat, by hand into the center of the bunks. This is what i do and there is very little winching and the boat is always in exactly the right spot on the trailer.

BrianM
07-17-2006, 02:56 PM
I load on a pretty steep ramp. In my situation we back the trailer down until the bunks are completely wet then pull trailer out until about 1" of tire is showing. Pull the boat in slowly and then once centered power it up until the boat buddy clicks. Attach the winch strap and snug it up and away you go. Perfectly centered every time.

In my situation if you back the trailer any deeper the bow eye will tear up the V block and the rub rail will not clear the boat buddy.

ntidsl
07-17-2006, 03:02 PM
yup...I've dealt with very steep ramps and some very flat...every ramp is different but I've been trailering boats for over 25 years so its almost second nature...I have always felt bad for those guys who are nervous about trailering a boat...rule number one...if you feel nervous go before sunrise, that way nobody will see you and you wont get in anyone ways...rule number 2...dont turn down help...I get so disgusted when people get mad when you try to help them....one time at a ramp, the guy and his wife were trying to get this boat on the trailer and his buddy was standing next to the trailer watching...I made a suggestion and he not only yelled at me but his wife and the guy on shore...I finally walked into the water grabbed his side rail and guided the boat onto the trailer then hooked up the cable and winched it up...he was just mad, not thankful at all...

I think 4 inches of wheel well showing is too much on any ramp...try the floating approach if you can and sit down on the back seat and hold the guide post so that you have equal distnace on each side as they pull the boat out slowly...

My wife and I put 3 boats in and out almost every weekend...ours, my parents, and her moms, and sometimes her brothers...I'd rather do it than let them try...

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=boyd ....let out about 3' of slack in the wench.[/QUOTE] I generally dont cut my wench any slack!8p ;) :D I keep her in the boat to work! Get me my ski, hand me my towel, grab me something to drink, thats what I tell my boat wench.

I drive my boat on just like Rockman advised. Works like a charm!

starman205
07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I generally dont cut my wench any slack!8p ;) :D I keep her in the boat to work! Get me my ski, hand me my towel, grab me something to drink, thats what I tell my boat wench.

:uglyhamme :

chirobum
07-17-2006, 03:55 PM
i admittedly suck at trailering, so don't feel bad. :D i find it easier just to rent dock space, put the boat on a lift, and poof...i only have to trailer it (and look like an idiot) once a year. also easier with 4 kids and a wife, none who are much of a help

boyd
07-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Boat witch, I mean wench, that's a good one! I guess the reason I power onto the trailer is because I've always been afraid of hitting the front of the boat on the winch or V. If it's not so deep in the water this can't happen because the bottom rails catch the boat first. I guess a happy medium would be best. I also don't have the luxury of being in a nice calm lake with nice boaters driving by and slowing down. We are in a river channel with idiots going by making big wakes while I'm trying to launch and the current playing tricks. I'll try taking it a little deeper in the water.
Thanks.
BOYD

jraben8
07-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Drop the trailer in until the water is just above the fender and then gas up slowly until you hear the boat buddy click.
Just my :twocents:

Right or wrong, this is exactly how I do it.

BrianM
07-17-2006, 04:03 PM
I used to launch in a river with current and other boats and always found that it was easier to put the trailer in a little shallower than deeper. That way the bunks "catch" the boat sooner and keep it lined up. If the bunks are wet don't worry about having to give it a little power to get it on the trailer. These trailers are made for doing it this way. I find it is much harder in 95% of launch situations to float on than it is to drive it on.

boyd
07-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Some things are so simple I think "why didn't I think of that". Here is the case ..... I"ve never thought of wetting the bunks first. That is why it takes so much "juice" to get her up. That should help alot. Thanks guys.

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 06:08 PM
I generally dont cut my wench any slack!8p ;) :D I keep her in the boat to work! Get me my ski, hand me my towel, grab me something to drink, thats what I tell my boat wench.

UMP, you must have hit your head Sat. too, not just your knee. If the GF reads your post above she will make you hurt all over.

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 06:29 PM
We use Spray Turtle Wax on our carpeted bunks, on the V block and on the carpet on the Boat Buddy. Back in till about 2" of fenders are above the water, no matter how steep or shallow the ramp is. The wife eases up to the trailer with the boat, allows it to center itself between the guide bars and in the bunks and applies enough gas to ease up and trip the Boat Buddy trigger. I then snap on the winch strap and the safety cable, and awaaaaaaaaaaaay we go to the tie down area. All in about 1.5 minutes. God, I love the way my wife loads the boat!

Stephen Nordquist
07-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Had engine trouble last week and had to load the boat using just the winch , it went on like a dream very easy to load . IF conditions on the ramp our rough i will just winch up by hand it was that easy. ( maristar 210 mcx engine)

JohnnyB
07-17-2006, 07:15 PM
On most ramps, wheel wells are 2-3" out of the water and I drive on 'til the boat buddy clicks. I cut the engine, lean over the front, hook up the winch and tighten it until the boat buddy pin can be disengaged/move freely. Then, proceed to the back and have it pulled out, grabbing one of the guides and using it to position the hull between the fendors.

Here's my dilemma....on a very steep ramp we use, I need to back the trailer in so that the v-block falls below the bow-eye on the boat which is typically deep enough that the hitch-ball is at water level (no kidding, that steep :eek: ). Can't find a better way to get it on the trailer.

BrianM
07-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Here's my dilemma....on a very steep ramp we use, I need to back the trailer in so that the v-block falls below the bow-eye on the boat which is typically deep enough that the hitch-ball is at water level (no kidding, that steep :eek: ). Can't find a better way to get it on the trailer.

Generally the steeper the ramp the shallower the trailer needs to be so that you can clear the v block. Try it shallower I think you will be surprised at how much easier it is. Just get the bunks completely wet first.

Kevin 89MC
07-19-2006, 12:32 AM
My experiences have mirrored Brian's. The deeper in, the more trouble I have. My "V" needs to be re-done - carpet & wood are busted. Too bad I can't power load where I ski. Hand-cranking sucks! (Uhh, maybe should re-phrase that!)
Kevin

Tryin-again
07-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Getting the bunks wet does make things easier.... We also spray the bunks with a silicone spray and that makes it slide on (and off) easier....

But be very careful with the silicone - Back in the '90's there was a picture of a Scarab that they had siliconed the bunks and this hot rod unhooked his tie downs way up in the parking lot then as he drove to the ramp he had to back up and tapped the brakes - he slid that thing off in the middle of the two ramp space - not only was he mad but he POed all the other folks who had to wait for 3 hours 'til the could get this thing reloaded ( mucho hull damage)

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 11:01 AM
We dunk the bunks and pull the trailer out until 2" of the fenders are showing. We then bring it in slow and steady and pull to neutral as the tip of the bow passes between the guide posts. After the boat settles on the bunks, we give it some power up to the bow stop. My wife attaches the winch and takes the slack out.

We then check the alignment of the boat on the trailer relative to the trailer fenders. If it looks a little off, I loosen the winch a bit, and drop the trailer back a little into the water and crank it back by hand, which will straighten it up. I suppose we could just do this initially, but my trailer backer doesn't prefer to get her feet wet on the launch and it only takes a second to drop it back a few inches.

jkski
07-19-2006, 11:19 AM
I've been reading all of the posts here and I've got to say that a good driver makes all the difference. I set the boat buddy up in the parking lot, drive down to the ramp, back it in until the fenders are just about 1inch underwater, the wife drives it down the center and usually takes it out of gear when the boat passes through the guides and it glides right up and triggers the pin. I never get out of the truck, as soon as I hear the pin shoot through, she turns off the boat and I pull it out...all total we are in and out in under 40 seconds.

TMCNo1
07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
When we first got our MC we were very insistant in the tie down area to try to push and rock the boat, to center it on the trailer, only to find out when we forgot one time to center it before we left and a mile or two down the road the boat centered itself automatically and was still centered when we got home. With it centered at the tiedown area it does make wiping down the hull a lot easier with some space between the hull and the inside of the fender. We just get the missed part when we wipe it again when we get home.

Danimal
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I have a bar of soap that I use to "wax" up the bunks when dry. Then, my wife backs the trailer to wet all the bunks. She then pulls forward so that the fenders just break the surface of the water. I then power the boat forward (in and out of gear to monitor speed). When I hit the bunks I give her a little juice to get her up into the v-bunk, my wife slaps up the saftey bar and hooks the winch cable and takes out the slack. I shut the boat off and proceed to stand in the middle of the boat. My wife pulls the boat and trailer out and with me in the center of the boat and she centers on the bunks nicely!

Trust me... it took many tiimes to get this figured out!8p

TMCNo1
07-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I have a bar of soap that I use to "wax" up the bunks when dry.

Trust me... it took many tiimes to get this figured out!8p

GREAT idea, I'm gonna try that in the future, as spray wax tends to mist and gets on other parts of the trailer, but is a quick, easy way to get some wax the trailer with the boat off!

Danimal
07-19-2006, 04:54 PM
GREAT idea, I'm gonna try that in the future, as spray wax tends to mist and gets on other parts of the trailer, but is a quick, easy way to get some wax the trailer with the boat off!

It works really well. I used to give about 3/4 throttle to get the darned thing into the v-bunk so my wife could hook up the saftey bar. Now It's jsut a quick throttle shot and she gets right in there.