PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, Lately I have a...........

Maristar210
07-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Desire to listen to (new) Country Music.

As a lifetime rocker who once considered a VanHalen Tattoo (nope) I can't believe I am listening to this stuff but I like it.

Am I alone?

Does this make me ____?

Steve

LakePirate
07-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Does this make me Gene?

Steve

No, I don't believe it does.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-17-2006, 02:06 PM
OK Mari, you good ol buddy UMP, aka "Deputy Van Halen", is here, and I am here to help you. I want you to listen closely my friend. SHut off the music if its on now. Slowly, slowly back AWAY from the CD player or stereo. find your hardest rocking CD, put it in the CD player, turn it on and hit play. While rocking out heavily, put on safety glasses and some steel toe boots, and rubber gloves for hte disposal process. take all country music CD's in your house, your neighbors house, and anywhere else you choose to purge the evil from. throw them all inthe garbage. take a shower to clean yourself. Burn the clothes you were wearing during the disposal process. continue rocking out. Check in with me via telephone for R.O.C.K. therapy, were we will talk about rock, things rock, and rock in general. I suggest you call your cable provider and remove CMT from your cable package. its just safer that way. I am here to help Steve, I am your friend. We need to get you back to the rockin side of life. Remember, for those about to rock, we salute you. I am getting a creepy kind of fingernails on a blackboard type of cringe feeling just imagining country music. Ughhh. Maybe Hoosier Bob can help too. He is Dr. Hoosier, maybe his and my therapy can get you right again. Hang tight Steve, we are gonna help you through this. Rock on my brutha, ROCK ON!!!!

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 07:05 PM

As a lifetime rocker who once considered a VanHalen Tattoo (nope) I can't believe I am listening to this stuff but I like it.

Am I alone?

Does this make me ____?

Steve

Don't worry Mari, as long as you don't start puttin' your hot dogs on the tines of a leaf rake at a Weiner Roast! Now that's Redneck! Join the crowd and we'll have a sing along!
Don't worry about Gene either, he just took off running, he was late for the Opera!

rodltg2
07-17-2006, 07:34 PM

Am I alone?

Does this make me ____?

Steve

so you are dooker

milkmania
07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
everytime I listen to it, I wanna get drunk, jump over a fence, kick my dog, and beat my wife....

it's depressing as heck too:rolleyes:

07-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Your right brutha Milky. The funny thing about country music is, its even more depressing than blues which is supposed to be depressing. Blues is all about how someone done you wrong, but country just keeps dragging it around, and pounding it into the ground. I mean how many songs can you write about losing your wife to your neighbor, your dog to the pound, and losing the wheels off your truck, the wheels off your house, and well, you get the point. Listen to "you never call me by my name" by David Allen Coe. He sums up the "perfect" country song using humor. its funny, but true.

Hoosier Bob
07-17-2006, 10:42 PM
What do you get if you play a country and western song backwords?8p

Also reminds me of the coroner joke from way back. Truckdriver killed on the interstate. The coroner was too busy to handle the autopsy so his assistant took over. During the autopsy the assistant found a cork in the truckdrivers rectum. Upon removal he heard Willie Nelson's On the Road Again from the truckdrivers rectum. He replaced the cork and ran to the coroner to show him his discovery. Once the coroner was present he again removed the cork and once again the rectum played On the Road Again! The coroner just said, "Any arsehole can sing country!:o

Workin' 4 Toys
07-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Am I alone?

No you are not.....:friday:

Hoosier Bob
07-17-2006, 11:10 PM
You may be in with some bad company!:D No you are not.....:friday:

JimN
07-17-2006, 11:42 PM
HB- you get your truck back, you get your dog back, you get your woman back, etc...

As long as it's not Rascal Flatts, you should be OK. All American music is a blend of various other kinds, and they're all related. In/after the 16th century, the English, Germans, Dutch, etc brought their folk and classical music, the slaves brought their field hollars and African songs, melodies, rhythms and instruments (banjo and certain drums) and then, after being indoctrinated in the church, the slaves used their harmonies on the church songs to create the spirtuals, they used "call and response" in the fields and this all morphed into what is called the blues. The trained musicians added their touch and jazz was born. All along, the whites heard what was happening and country music, which has similarities to all of the other types of music, came to be. When it was mixed with swing and cranked up by the kids in the early '50s, it became rock-a-billy, etc.

I don't remember who said it, but there are two kinds of music. Good music and bad music. You may not like it all, but it's all out there for us.

WOW, do I sound weird tonight!

07-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Oh great! :rolleyes: just what we need....MORE of you!:D ;)

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Rock-a-billy! That I can handle! It may be the "Twang" that I do not get. Yes it is definately the "Twang!" I can only find it there. Good place for it. Thanks for letting me know my race ruined music!:D I listen to everything but I don't talk about it in an open forum!;) HB- you get your truck back, you get your dog back, you get your woman back, etc...

As long as it's not Rascal Flatts, you should be OK. All American music is a blend of various other kinds, and they're all related. In/after the 16th century, the English, Germans, Dutch, etc brought their folk and classical music, the slaves brought their field hollars and African songs, melodies, rhythms and instruments (banjo and certain drums) and then, after being indoctrinated in the church, the slaves used their harmonies on the church songs to create the spirtuals, they used "call and response" in the fields and this all morphed into what is called the blues. The trained musicians added their touch and jazz was born. All along, the whites heard what was happening and country music, which has similarities to all of the other types of music, came to be. When it was mixed with swing and cranked up by the kids in the early '50s, it became rock-a-billy, etc.

I don't remember who said it, but there are two kinds of music. Good music and bad music. You may not like it all, but it's all out there for us.

WOW, do I sound weird tonight!

JimN
07-18-2006, 12:38 AM
How can you not get the "twang"? You live in Indiana, for God's sake! Doesn't get much more twangey than Rock-a billy.

jimmer2880
07-18-2006, 09:41 AM

I'm with you there! I love almost all country, but still listen to the hard-rock of the late 80's & early 90's every now & then. :toast:

jbfootin
07-18-2006, 10:27 AM
I listen to classic rock and country also. It's not all bad!;)

07-18-2006, 10:39 AM
I listen to classic rock and country also. It's not all bad!;)Angus says: For those about to Rock, we salute you!:D

http://www.crabsodyinblue.com/acdcpicture0004.jpg

Ric
07-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Steve, you know how I know you're Gay ???

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm with you there! I love almost all country, but still listen to the hard-rock of the late 80's & early 90's every now & then. :toast:
I listen to about everything.
HOWEVER, I can't stand the dixie hicks, jimi hendrix, donna summer, and a very few others. It's a short list, but there are some I just can't tolerate.

shepherd
07-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Don't worry about what others think or the music they like.
Just like art: "I'm no expert, but I know what I like."
That's all that matters.

(why do I feel guilty whenever I see that statement in the top right corner "shepherd has no photos"?)

JimN
07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Someone may know what they like, but there are some really, incredibly, extraordinarily lame songs. Anyone who knows and liked the Yardbirds (or anyone else, really) should look for a song called "The Elusive Butterfly of Love". This song caused the breakup of the band that brought Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page to the public's attention and Paul Samwell-Smith (one of the founding members) thought it was the perfect song.

shepherd
07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Someone may know what they like, but there are some really, incredibly, extraordinarily lame songs. Anyone who knows and liked the Yardbirds (or anyone else, really) should look for a song called "The Elusive Butterfly of Love". This song caused the breakup of the band that brought Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page to the public's attention and Paul Samwell-Smith (one of the founding members) thought it was the perfect song.

Never heard that song, now I got to find it! :rolleyes:

What is extraordinarily lame is all a matter of opinion I guess. IMO, any of those songs by Air Supply are extraordinarily lame, but apparently a lot of people out there bought them... I remember VH1 or someone did some stupid show about the worst songs in history. I also remember a couple times when I said "Hey! I like that song!" :(

JimN
07-18-2006, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't spend too much time looking for it and don't blame me for the amount of time wasted if you find it. You could also add just about any song by Engelbert What'sHisDink to the lame pile.

07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't spend too much time looking for it and don't blame me for the amount of time wasted if you find it. You could also add just about any song by Engelbert What'sHisDink to the lame pile.
YES! Englebert MUST go in the Lame pile.

WFT, Jimi Rules bud! You got issues if you dont like his songs "Fire" or "Foxy Lady"

Shep, I saw that VH1 show. the worst/best was Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" that was classic! Remember Dweezil Zappa's 80's neon puke green guitar in that video?? AWESOME!!!:D

Maristar210
07-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Steve, you know how I know you're Gay ???

huh????????

07-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Be careful Mari, Ric is an evil mind, he will trick you!:)

Maristar210
07-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Be careful Mari, Ric is an evil mind, he will trick you!:)

Okay so its not okay to question Erk's gender preference but it is okay to question mine, is that right?

bcampbe7
07-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I like country, rock, alternative rock, rap (very little), pop, classical, country...

I mostly listen to country.

SKI*MC
07-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Go to best buy, buy Dream Theaters album Train of Thought, and you will never what to listen to country again!

jimmer2880
07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
I listen to about everything.
HOWEVER, I can't stand the dixie hicks, jimi hendrix, donna summer, and a very few others. It's a short list, but there are some I just can't tolerate.

Will never listen to the dixie chicks again - but that's because of Natalie's inability to keep her mouth shut on politics & she thinks her fans are all hicks (well - ok - I am, but I don't need her telling me that).

07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Go to best buy, buy Dream Theaters album Train of Thought, and you will never what to listen to country again!
Word up on Dream Theater! That stuff is amazing! Pure Progressive Rock! Totally amazing virtuosity in that band. Petrucci is amazing! Its cool to see someone young like you into dream theather SKI MC!!!!:D

Ric
07-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Okay so its not okay to question Erk's gender preference but it is okay to question mine, is that right?

It's actually a line from 40yr old virgin. I am surprised nobody picked up on that right away.

Steve I am a country music listener and have no problem with my masculinity
jimn is right, as long as "new" country does not mean you are listening to the light country boy bands like rascal flatt or some others you will be ok

one other thing, my chic loves to leave the tv on cmt... Watch out fellas, I think those country music channels are more feminine geared than even the lifetime channel!:(

BrianM
07-18-2006, 03:11 PM
I am a rock and roll kind of guy but my wife got me listening to country when we started dating. Now it is the only thing we can agree to listen to when we are in the car. She likes the ghetto booty jams and I like all kinds of rock, we both like the country. Nothing wrong with the country. In the boat it is 95% rock and roll though

07-18-2006, 03:43 PM
It will be a cold day in he11 before a country song makes it on my CD player in my car, boat, or house. My chick likes rock too. Its a must for me. When I was dating, I wouldnt even consider a chick that liked country. it would never work out, so why try. I am SUCH an avid rocker that I cant compromise on music, not even a little. Call me what you want, but its the truth. I will fly the flag for Rock and Roll louder and prouder than you can ever imagine!:guitar: :headbang: :cool:

07-18-2006, 03:44 PM
IN fact, I am like the "Sith Lord of Rock" :D :D

JimN
07-18-2006, 03:45 PM
UMP- Fascist!

bcampbe7
07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
It will be a cold day in he11 before a country song makes it on my CD player in my car, boat, or house. My chick likes rock too. Its a must for me. When I was dating, I wouldnt even consider a chick that liked country. it would never work out, so why try. I am SUCH an avid rocker that I cant compromise on music, not even a little. Call me what you want, but its the truth. I will fly the flag for Rock and Roll louder and prouder than you can ever imagine!

Wait till you get down to Kentucky!
That is all JRandol and Mag allow to be played in the boat!:cool:
You will be whistling Dixie all the way home. :D

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Oh, back when a Ho was a hoe, coke was a Coke, crack was something you did when you were cracking jokes!

07-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Wait till you get down to Kentucky!
That is all JRandol and Mag allow to be played in the boat!
You will be whistling Dixie all the way home.
I will bring my ear plugs!:D :D :D

Jimn, I guess I am, just in a musical sense:o

Rixter_69
07-18-2006, 05:35 PM
I keep it my musical tastes very simple: ABC!

ANYTHING BUT COUNTRY!

Rock on !

shepherd
07-18-2006, 06:52 PM
IN fact, I am like the "Sith Lord of Rock" :D :D

I think we just saw a little more evolution of the UMP superhero identity :confused:

captain planet
07-18-2006, 10:27 PM

Am I alone?

Does this make me ____?

Steve
Does this make me ____?..... Soft. It means your getting older and SOFT. Your alone as far as I am concerned. I would rather listen to the Bee Gees than country music. Country music is soft sissy-boy music. Take UMP's advise and change the channel or better yet, get satelite radio so you can listen to something other than the same 14 songs that radio stations play.

I have only bought 1 country album in the last 10 years and that was last month when the new Dixie Chicks album came out.

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Little Wing, Voodoo Chile, and CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC!:D YES! Englebert MUST go in the Lame pile.

WFT, Jimi Rules bud! You got issues if you dont like his songs "Fire" or "Foxy Lady"

Shep, I saw that VH1 show. the worst/best was Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" that was classic! Remember Dweezil Zappa's 80's neon puke green guitar in that video?? AWESOME!!!:D

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2006, 10:34 PM
I think anything we do is pretty much fair game! Kind of like our punishment Steve!;) Okay so its not okay to question Erk's gender preference but it is okay to question mine, is that right?

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Ok there is a bunch of TWANG here as well but not as much in my area. A short drive and you are knee deep and the radio stations change as well! For my Ohio Brothers! THE GODZ!!!! ROCK AND ROLL MACHINES! Anyone remember that??? NOW DIG UP Y'ALL!;) How can you not get the "twang"? You live in Indiana, for God's sake! Doesn't get much more twangey than Rock-a billy.

milkmania
07-18-2006, 10:37 PM
I keep it my musical tastes very simple: ABC!

ANYTHING BUT COUNTRY!

Rock on !

no truer words have been spokenhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/praise2.gif

atlfootr
07-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Not unless your this guy ...

PendO
07-18-2006, 11:36 PM

Am I alone?

Does this make me ____?

Steve

Steve ... I saw a guy drop his BMW touring bike at a red light, he was just standing there and then he was on the ground, broke the mirror off the bike, and 3 fellas came over and helped him get it upright ... Old country music is great, new country music is lame ... IMO:)

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2006, 11:48 PM
So if Steve listens to country music and falls off his BMW he can have three guys at once?:D
I am sorry, Three fellas at once!

PendO
07-19-2006, 12:01 AM
So if Steve listens to country music and falls off his BMW he can have three guys at once?:D
I am sorry, Three fellas at once!

nice little game of connect the dots:)

but I am pretty sure that Steve is down with page3.com :)

Steve, if you are having issues with Country, switch beers and see if that helps!

Hoosier Bob
07-19-2006, 12:25 AM
M210 was seen recently making a statement!8p

sanjuan23
07-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Rotflmao!!!!!

PendO
07-19-2006, 12:29 AM
M210 was seen recently making a statement!8p

HB, the fact that you know there is a "short fat one" makes me think you might have a copy of their CD:)

sanjuan23
07-19-2006, 12:31 AM
What other short fat one could possibly send their popularity into the dumpster faster than one Natalie Maines.....:(

Hoosier Bob
07-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Faberwhat Eggs?:d

Maristar210
07-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Uh oh. Bob's been back on the sauce. I just did my 3.2 mile run. What did Bob do?..........

Roll over and fart on Lisa's leg

Ric
07-19-2006, 10:50 AM
I have only bought 1 country album in the last 10 years and that was last month when the new Dixie Chicks album came out.
you pretty happy with your purchase?

Ric
07-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Not unless your this guy ...
THAT is really cool

07-19-2006, 11:19 AM
HB your awesome! your true calling in life is expressing things with signs. :D

Hoosier Bob
07-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Of course I begin every morning that way! I actually went skiing behind the X9 today. Great water and a ton of fun. No runs for awhile as the achillies is not going!:mad: Great pics Steve!:D Uh oh. Bob's been back on the sauce. I just did my 3.2 mile run. What did Bob do?..........

Roll over and fart on Lisa's leg

RexDog1
07-19-2006, 01:32 PM
I am old school

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
The Rolling Stones
Van Halen
U2
The Who
The Doors
Aerosmith
Queen
The Clash
Boston
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Bowie
REM
Bruce Springsteen
The Eagles
Pink Floyd
The Police
Rush
AC/DC
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Black Sabbath
Gunís Ní Roses
Deep Purple
Yes

To name a few

SKI*MC
07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
thats a great list mine goes as followed: (The Harder Stuff)
Dream Theater
Coheed and Cambria
Fear Factory
From First to Last
Guns N Roses
Taking Back Sunday
Tantric
Tool
Slipknot
Senses Fail
Underoath

The Classics:
Aerosmith
The Beatles
Joe Satriani
Journey
Kansas
Queen
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Who
Skid Row

kjohnson
07-19-2006, 01:59 PM
I listen to brokeback music and I'm not ______.

Hoosier Bob
07-19-2006, 10:29 PM
URIA HEAP! Stealin'! Look at Yourself! The Wizard! Many more!I am old school

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
The Rolling Stones
Van Halen
U2
The Who
The Doors
Aerosmith
Queen
The Clash
Boston
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Bowie
REM
Bruce Springsteen
The Eagles
Pink Floyd
The Police
Rush
AC/DC
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Black Sabbath
Gunís Ní Roses
Deep Purple
Yes

To name a few

07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Rock & Roll is your DESTINY Steve! Give yourself to the darkside!
http://www.geocities.com/randyinc_nz/wallpaper/files/darth_vader.jpg

Maristar210
07-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Is that Kenney Chesney under that Black Mask?

Are you trying to trick me UMP?

It is you who is devious not Ric the ____ isn't it?;)

Steve

Ric
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Steve
whoah steve! ok, I have been called worse but I am concerned about your foreplay here8p

07-20-2006, 11:04 AM

Steve
No Steve Ric never told you the truth, I am your father. You have yet to discover your musical power. Your strong wih the Rock, Billy Ray Cirus has forseen this. Come with me and we can rock the universe as father and son!

Maristar210
07-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Ric -I knew we'd get to crotch shampooing eventually. It just took 7 pages.

UMP- I listened to the first half of Back in Black this morning, I'm better now...

Staaaaaeve

Ric
07-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Ric -I knew we'd get to crotch shampooing eventually. It just took 7 pages.

UMP- I listened to the first half of Back in Black this morning, I'm better now...

Staaaaaeve hey ! NOT interested :cool:

07-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Good choice Mari, both the music and the shampooing. ;)

Back in Black is a classic. You know, its the first record to ever break 10 Million in sales. THey created a new designation for that milestone, called "Diamond". FYI.

Steve, you listed to the 2nd half of that CD yet??

Ric
07-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Good choice Mari, both the music and the shampooing. ;)

Back in Black is a classic. You know, its the first record to ever break 10 Million in sales. THey created a new designation for that milestone, called "Diamond". FYI.

Steve, you listed to the 2nd half of that CD yet??

now that is a factoid I did not know ump!

see, this is what I'm talking about when I say that school of rock may have been written about you!

as far as back in black, I remember it was the first cassete I ever owned:rolleyes: I could probably quote both sides of that album's lyrics to you to this day :o

07-20-2006, 06:20 PM
now that is a factoid I did not know ump!

see, this is what I'm talking about when I say that school of rock may have been written about you!

as far as back in black, I remember it was the first cassete I ever owned:rolleyes: I could probably quote both sides of that album's lyrics to you to this day :o
You Rock Ric! classic tunes!:D Did you wear the cassette out by playing so much?

LakePirate
07-20-2006, 06:26 PM
as far as back in black, I remember it was the first cassete I ever owned:rolleyes:

First one I owned was Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill

07-20-2006, 09:31 PM
I had that one too. :)

Hoosier Bob
07-21-2006, 12:23 AM
D'Post? Why?

Hoosier Bob
07-21-2006, 12:24 AM
W T F? No SRV? Been jammin' to some old Texas rock for the last week but I am suprised no one has mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn! I may have missed it and if so I am sorry! SRV!:D
Hey Ric and M210 stop PM'ing me! I do not wish to partake in your three way!:mad: Call Erk or Rod!

sanjuan23
07-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Saw him play in Austin @ ACL when I was about 8 freaking amazing. Always loved when Kenny Wayne Shepard talked about when he put him up on his amps and watched SRV whale!! Still gets the blood pumping everytime I think about SRV

JimN
07-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Maybe it was assumed that SRV should be on the list.

JimN
07-21-2006, 12:32 AM
I saw him at Summerfest a few times and at the Oriental Theater, just before he cleaned up. The first time, I was off of work because I was (and am) sick from something I ate but I went down there anyway. It rained all day and stopped about the time I got down to the Fest. We got to the Rock Stage area and the opening act started, everyone left (it was a Spandex band called Moxy Rocks) and we strolled right up to the front row and put up with them till they were done. I parked my butt right in front of his mic and it was definitely one of the best shows I have seen. After the show, I felt great!

I remember the day I heard that the chopper went down at Alpine Valley. Hard to believe it was so long ago.:guitar:

Hoosier Bob
07-21-2006, 12:34 AM
He is one of the few that I began listening to on Cassette, then album and now CD. The new greatest hits is awesome! B-Buy has it for $14.99 two CD collection! I can now keep my SRV CD's in the house and take my greatest with me! Life by the Drop, Little Sister, Can't Stand the Weather, Little Wing, RivieraParadise, The Sky is Crying, Crossfire and an S-Load more!! 30+ songs of bad arse Texas Rock and Roll! He went way too soon! I wish I had seen him play live. One of those things I said I would always do. I did keep my promise to BB and Lucille but missed SRV.:(

Hoosier Bob
07-21-2006, 12:38 AM
I agree a list should not be made as we would change it often. The last forty years of music have been awesome. Favorite song to play at full power? FOOL IN THE RAIN! Zed Lepplin, Ha! If you get the chance to listen to Led Zep's Fool in the Rain at extremly high volumes it will amaze you! Every once in awhile I am in a F the neighbors mood and they all pay for my Fool in the Rain dance!8p

sanjuan23
07-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Way before his time. It is kinda funny though going back in time and listening to him "coked up" and sober and sometimes sounded better and sometimes not. Real difference is the SRV DVD at BB where they show the 84 or 85 performance and the later performance. Sad but sometimes it's harder to tell when someone rocked harder. But I have most of his stuff on Vinyl and when the mood strikes I start up the old stuff and sit there and remember the first time my dad introduced me to one of the greatest guitarist of all time. I have seen SRV, Clapton, BB, Kenny Wayne , Slash, Joe Walsh, John Mayer (which I didnt know could rock out until Crossroads a few years ago) And a few others so where is the next great??

Hoosier Bob
07-21-2006, 12:44 AM
The next great is some Yooper we all know by UMP! Pleather and Spandex in one package!8p Way before his time. It is kinda funny though going back in time and listening to him "coked up" and sober and sometimes sounded better and sometimes not. Real difference is the SRV DVD at BB where they show the 84 or 85 performance and the later performance. Sad but sometimes it's harder to tell when someone rocked harder. But I have most of his stuff on Vinyl and when the mood strikes I start up the old stuff and sit there and remember the first time my dad introduced me to one of the greatest guitarist of all time. I have seen SRV, Clapton, BB, Kenny Wayne , Slash, Joe Walsh, John Mayer, UMP (which I didnt know could rock out until Crossroads a few years ago) And a few others so where is the next great??

Ric
07-21-2006, 09:36 AM
W T F? No SRV? Been jammin' to some old Texas rock for the last week but I am suprised no one has mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn! I may have missed it and if so I am sorry! SRV!:D
Hey Ric and M210 stop PM'ing me! I do not wish to partake in your three way!:mad: Call Erk or Rod!

hahahahhahhah
anybody watch entourage this week?

sanjuan23
07-21-2006, 09:52 AM
hahahahhahhah
anybody watch entourage this week?

I dont miss a single episode... Lloyd!! Lloyd!!

Ric
07-21-2006, 09:54 AM
when he said threesome I thought of E's girlfriends threesome

sanjuan23
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Must have been hatin' having to wake up between those two!

Ric
07-21-2006, 10:57 AM
how bout that one scene where he tells them she wants a threesome and the one guy says "all I know is I'm ____ off to your girlfriend tonite!" hahhahah

sanjuan23
07-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Better yet when they were doing the preview for this weekend and E is giving Drama and Turtle a hard time for "crossing" swords in their threesome. Blew my wine all over the ottoman!!!:uglyhamme

Ric
07-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I had to watch it as a replay on i-control so I didnt catch the previews

he aluded to that in this one when he said what do you guys know about threesomes, the only threesome you two know about, you were together! ahhahahahh

LakePirate
07-21-2006, 12:33 PM
The crossing swords at Sundance was hilarious.

Have you guys see the episode when they are bowling and Johnny's bowling ball has "Drama" inlaid in it.

I lost it when I saw that.

SKI*MC
07-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Guess who I am going to see tonight!

Sammy Hagar!

Ric
07-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Guess who I am going to see tonight!

Sammy Hagar!
ahh that reminds me of my old pickup in hi school with the 6x9's!!! Sammy Hagar was the loudest stuff those speakers would play....

huh?

SKI*MC
07-21-2006, 01:56 PM
my friend got 4 free tickets

Ric
07-21-2006, 01:58 PM
ski, can you quickly name 5 sammy hagar tunes? (without looking them up on the web)

SKI*MC
07-21-2006, 02:07 PM
High Hopes, Rock is in my Blood, Heavy Metal, Never Give Up, Cruizin for Bruizin

My friend got me into a lot of the stuff.

Ric
07-21-2006, 02:08 PM
errh !!! too slow

Ric
07-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Don't worry, I couldn't have done it!

SKI*MC
07-23-2006, 03:34 PM
The concert was pretty good, other than the fact that every person there thought that you were their long lost pall, and the over whelming smell of weed, it wasnt too bad of a show.

X-45
07-23-2006, 09:19 PM
I saw Sammy about 20 some years ago. I'd still go see him and a few other old timers. I listen to the classic rock station in town but getting tire of it. I've moved on to country:guitar: . I just don't like rap and can't understand what the new rockers are saying:confused: . Guess I've turned into my parents.:shocked:

JimN
07-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Ach, dese kids! You call that music? I don't know from no rap! Vat's he saying? Back what thing on up?:rant:

Leroy
07-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Listen to RAP enough and it's ok!

JimN
07-23-2006, 10:22 PM
You're kidding, right?:eek3:

Leroy
07-23-2006, 10:36 PM
I have a 17 and 15 yr old sons. It's all they list to except for some old rock.

It really isn't that bad once you listen to it for awhile! ;)

Hoosier Bob
07-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Was Sammy with Montrose?:confused:

07-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Yes, Sammy was the singer for Montrose. Ronnie Montrose rocked on guitar. Just FYI, take a listen to some of that early Montrose stuff, listen to the guitar parts very closely, then got pop in some van halen CDs. listen to Eddies guitar. Coincidence? you tell me..... I think there was a few riffs and style "borrowed" from Montrose. I might get flamed for saying this, but the similarites are there, and Ronnie was around way before Eddie.

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I just remember my brother crankin' that stuff. I had a couple on vinyl but that was way back. I do remember they rocked and the music was great but could not name a song. Maybe a greatest hits?:confused: Yes, Sammy was the singer for Montrose. Ronnie Montrose rocked on guitar. Just FYI, take a listen to some of that early Montrose stuff, listen to the guitar parts very closely, then got pop in some van halen CDs. listen to Eddies guitar. Coincidence? you tell me..... I think there was a few riffs and style "borrowed" from Montrose. I might get flamed for saying this, but the similarites are there, and Ronnie was around way before Eddie.

shepherd
07-24-2006, 10:55 PM
I just remember my brother crankin' that stuff. I had a couple on vinyl but that was way back. I do remember they rocked and the music was great but could not name a song. Maybe a greatest hits?:confused:

On my iPod: Rock the Nation, Bad Motor Scooter. :guitar: That is definitely Sammy... And EVH may have been influenced by them, but he's still got skills far beyond anything I've heard up until Van Halen's debut.

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Thank you, BAD MOTOR SCOOTER! Pat Travers (spelling) was not bad. Anyone ever heard of City Boy? Man I loved that group. Mama's Boy, Walk on the Water and 5705.:confused: On my iPod: Rock the Nation, Bad Motor Scooter. :guitar: That is definitely Sammy... And EVH may have been influenced by them, but he's still got skills far beyond anything I've heard up until Van Halen's debut.

Leroy
07-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Man you guys are old! :D

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry Leroy I forgot to mention Neil Diamond!:D Love on the Rocks still brings a tear to my eye.Man you guys are old! :D

Leroy
07-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Neil who? The astronaut?

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 11:22 PM
What ever! I told you not to bring that CD on my boat! So how was Ozfest?:D Neil who? The astronaut?

07-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Neil who? The astronaut?
I thought that was Louis Armstrong, not Neil;) 8p

07-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Sorry Leroy I forgot to mention Neil Diamond!:D Love on the Rocks still brings a tear to my eye.
Is that while you are spooning with WFT??:confused:

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Just remember as will WFT, there is a big difference between spooning and being SPOONED!:mad: Is that while you are spooning with WFT??:confused:

07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Just remember as will WFT, there is a big difference between spooning and being SPOONED!:mad:
DOnt get mad at me! :D YOu were the one that brought that up when we were talking about wrestling that time on the old "Hoosier Drinking" thread. its all your words! beer may have been involved!;)

Hoosier Bob
07-24-2006, 11:58 PM
I sort of remember that post but I don't think it had anything to do with me!;) DOnt get mad at me! :D YOu were the one that brought that up when we were talking about wrestling that time on the old "Hoosier Drinking" thread. its all your words! beer may have been involved!;)

07-25-2006, 12:00 AM
I sort of remember that post but I don't think it had anything to do with me!;)
"sort of remember that post" :confused: :confused: :confused: ????

shepherd
07-25-2006, 12:00 AM
And EVH may have been influenced by them, but he's still got skills far beyond almost anything I've heard up until Van Halen's debut.

OK, I'll take that back... How can I forget about Hendrix, Page, and Howe?

Hoosier Bob
07-25-2006, 12:06 AM
EVH was all gizmo's! Hendrix was a guitar and an amp. Page, just plain cool! I wish I could handle drugs as that would have been fun! SRV and BB Howe I don't know but I do remember any guitarist that played for Ozzie, Rainbow or Ozzyless B Sabbeth was awesome! Although Angus Young played the same thing over and over I could listen to it over and over. Deep Purple SOTW is the first thing any new guitarist learns and America Donkey Jaw is the coolest riff I have ever heard along with Never Goin' Back Again FWM!;) OK, I'll take that back... How can I forget about Hendrix, Page, and Howe?

shepherd
07-25-2006, 12:18 AM
I just remember in the 70s Steve Howe seemed to always be named Guitar Player of the Year (in Guitar Player magazine?). In the 80s it was Eddie Van Halen all the time. Never Going Back Again has one of the coolest acoustic licks of all time. But how about Jimmy Page's performance in Bron Yr Aur Stomp and Bron Yr Aur? Or Steve Howe's in Mood for a Day and The Clap?

Hoosier Bob
07-25-2006, 12:28 AM
I need to relive some of my past! Do you remember Donkey Jaw? Bad arse riff and political statement pertaining to strip mining. A Donkey Jaw is a Steam Shovel! America was my first concert ever as a human. 1974 at Oxford/Miami of Ohio. I only wanted to hear Horse with No Name and fell asleep soon after! Man life was great in the old days unless you were off fighting for our incredible past, and future!:( Greatest ever FOOL IN THE RAIN!I just remember in the 70s Steve Howe seemed to always be named Guitar Player of the Year (in Guitar Player magazine?). In the 80s it was Eddie Van Halen all the time. Never Going Back Again has one of the coolest acoustic licks of all time. But how about Jimmy Page's performance in Bron Yr Aur Stomp and Bron Yr Aur? Or Steve Howe's in Mood for a Day and The Clap?

shepherd
07-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Don't know Donkey Jaw. I'll try to get it off iTunes and give it a listen tonight.

As for country songs... "All My Exes Live in Texas" has got to be one of the quintessential country songs of all time

07-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Shep, I wasnt trying to put EVH down, its just that I am a bit suspicious of some of the elements of his style after listening to Montrose. There are more than just a few similarties IMO. Eddie was great, but I think he was trapped within a style, like he couldnt escape from the box as a guitarist. almost all his licks and riffs sounded the same. Yes, very impressive playing, but a bit repetitious. It was intersting to see him do "Finish what ya started" as it was a departure from his style. EVH is the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place. He was my inspiration, but I grew as a player and became a bit bored with his style(actually more with his attitude and demeanor). But he left a mark on the guitar world and on pop music that will be nearly impossible for any to beat.

captain planet
07-25-2006, 10:14 AM
you pretty happy with your purchase?
I'm not disappointed with it. The album is pretty good, but I don't see myself buying any more country for a loooooong while. I used to listen to country about 12 years ago and switched to alternative rock (college days) so buying a country album again was something new.

shepherd
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Eddie was great, but I think he was trapped within a style, like he couldnt escape from the box as a guitarist. almost all his licks and riffs sounded the same. Yes, very impressive playing, but a bit repetitious.

I agree. That's why I kind of retracted my statement above. So, who is the "rock guitar god" of this current decade? Anybody that compares to the likes of Page, Hendrix, Van Halen, etc.???

JimN
07-25-2006, 11:35 AM
"EVH was all gizmo's! Hendrix was a guitar and an amp. Page, just plain cool!"

Eddie uses gizmos but most other musicians do, too. Did you ever listen to a guitar played with no alteration to the sound? Not very exciting. Hendrix used a lot of effects. Reverb, delays, phase shifters and flangers (gives a strange cycling sound- remember Itchicoo Park by the Small Faces?), wah-wah, tons of distortion, vibrato and wang bar. Page did a lot of heavy production work on Led Zep tunes and was far from playing just a guitar/amp setup.

SOTW has about the most basic guitar sound I can think of- guitar through a Marshall amp, cranked up so it distorts. I prefer the long version of this but I've heard it enough that I don't think I'll miss it much if I don't hear it for a long time. Listen to DP's Lazy. from Made In Japan or their version of Kentucky Woman, on the same album.

07-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I agree. That's why I kind of retracted my statement above. So, who is the "rock guitar god" of this current decade? Anybody that compares to the likes of Page, Hendrix, Van Halen, etc.???
Thats the sad part, there is nobody. IMO, the LAST true virtuoso of rock music was Vito Bratta of White Lion. now that guy could play guitar. He was an amazing technical player, but had TONS of melody in there. Very fluid player, his style was aggresive and very energentic, but it was always wrapped around MELODY! it sounded good and fit the song. Not just a bunch of technical BS over a chord progession. I still argue that George Lynch was the most amazing rock guitarist ever., but thats personal opinion. His style was out of this world. MANY tried to emulate him as they did EVH. but the thing was, its WAY easier to sound like EVH than it is Lynch. Lynch was so "outside the box" as a guitarist. His style, technique and note selection was so fresh and different. Im rambling......see what happens when you bring up guitars!!!:)

3event
07-25-2006, 11:45 AM
George Lynch, good pick UMP ! That one came out of nowhere. I still have a Lynch Mob CD in my collection. What ever happened to him after that effort?

I saw Don Dokken on VH1 recently, that dude got big and middle aged, wow! I don't know what he's doing other than commenting on VH1 hard rock specials....... But at least he didn't crash and burn on drugs and booze.

JimN
07-25-2006, 12:02 PM
If anyone looks up the whole list from the Guitar Player "Player of the Year", there are hundreds, if not, thousands of players who most people have never or may never hear of unless they go to the clubs where these unknowns play. Danny Gatton was one of them. GP had him on the cover of one issue and he was wearing a mask that covered half of his face. He was called "The best unknown guitarist". Unfortunately, he killed himself in about '94.

There's no point is saying "This guy is the best EVER" because at some point, someone will come along and replace him. There are some players from the '30s and '40s that are still easily in the running for the best current players but because the style played then sounds dated, they aren't considered because there's no exposure to radio audiences (unless you listen to obscure college radio stations, like I do). Les Paul (made one of, if not the first electric guitar and is the creator of multi-track recording and many of the other effects used in recording, even now), Eddie Condon, Carl Kress, Charlie Christian (credited with being the first to play mainly single note solos), Django Reinhardt, George Van Epps, Wes Montgomery are/were some of the best jazz players and so many others it's incredible that nobody talks about them. Then, there were Robert Johnson, Robert Jr. Lockwood, The Three Kings (Albert, BB and Freddie), Howlin' Wolf/Hubert Sumlin, Muddy Waters and the whole Chess Records gang, Muscle Shoals, Stax/Volt records, the Calfornia studio scene that we all grew up listening to but didn't necessarily know their names, Motown, the NY studio scene, again- mostly unknown until credits began showing up on records. Then, there's always the British Invasion and everything it spawned.

Every generation of musician has their influences and will copy them at first, then their own style comes out from that. Sometimes, the influences are apparent and sometimes they only come out when the player wants them to.

What about Steve Morse, Allan Holdsworth, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, John McLaughlin, David Gilmour, Andy Lattimer (Camel)? A guy I went to HS with was in a band called Sweetbottom in the mid-'70s and I would rather listen to him play than most others I can think of. He quit playing professionally and the only time anyone really hears him now is in the Orthodox Jewish community here. He was heavily influenced by Jeff Beck, EVH, John McLaughlin and many of the greats. I saw him pick Eruption instead of using hammer-ons, many times.

There is no "Best" because it's all someone's opinion. There's no objective measurement for this. Let's just add people to the list of greats.

shepherd
07-28-2006, 12:53 AM
I was listening to Blue Jean Blues (ZZ Top) today and remembered a story I heard on the radio: During an interview with Jimi Hendrix, the interviewer asked him who he thought were the new up and coming guitar players at that time. Jimi said there was a guy from Texas named Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top guitar player) who was going to blow everyone away. That guy could play some cool rock/blues, which really shows in Blue Jean Blues, Brown Sugar, Fool For Your Stockings, etc.. At least before they went all techno...

Blair
07-28-2006, 02:47 AM
I like country, rock, alternative rock, rap (very little), pop, classical, country...

I mostly listen to country.

add a bit of techno and some dance into that list and its the same as mine...

oh and i CAN NOT STAND Led Zepplin... no good music ever from them:)

JimN
07-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Shep- There's a ZZ Top song called 'Pearly Gates' and it's a reference to a Strat that Jimi gave Billy when they first met in about '69. IIRC, Billy gave Jimi a Les Paul around the same time.

07-28-2006, 11:07 AM
3Event, Yes, MR. SCARY is certainly a guitar god. George Redefined Rock guitar after EVH came along because at that point, EVH was sitting atop the guitar world on a throne. Everyone was trying to be him, copy him, or study him. George came along from a different perspective. A fresh one that was badly needed. George's note selection and technique was so unlike anyone who was out there, and it set him apart. was Dokken a great band....not really, they had some good tunes, but they were never a great band, but George was a great guitarist. the songs got overshadowed by his guitarplaying. It fit the mold of the songs to well sometimes. Listen to "When Heaven Comes Down" off of Dokken's Tooth & Nail CD. that captures George's Vibe.

I agree with JimN that you cant have a "best" guitarist as its not a quantifiable subject. Its not like racing where someone is fastest or strongest or whatever. its all about personal opinion. there are tons of great guitarists out there.

Maristar210
07-28-2006, 12:43 PM
I hate to threadjack the threadjack... oh nevermind...

07-28-2006, 12:52 PM
I hate to threadjack the threadjack... oh nevermind...
Oh come on Steve, GO FOR IT!!!!:D