never knew he was there until he struck at me:eek:

http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/snake.jpg

sanjuan23
07-17-2006, 11:41 AM
:eek: :eek: No thank You!!

bcampbe7
07-17-2006, 11:42 AM
:eek3: :eek3:
I would have had to clean the interior after seeing that!
What kind of snake is that and how the he|| did it get there?!?!?

Hoff1
07-17-2006, 11:43 AM
I wonder how he got into boat? Was it stored outside under a tree or in a garage where it could have dropped down?

TMCNo1

Exacly what kind of DEAD snake was that?

starman205
:eek3: WOW!!!!!!! What kind of Snake is it and how do you think it got in there??????????????

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-17-2006, 11:53 AM
well there is an interesting dilema. you cant shoot it in the boat. so what do you do? Bummer my cape and super hero suit is still at the dry cleaners AGAIN :o and I cant fly there to remove the venomous character for you. So what do you do there? stab it with a big knife or something? get it to strike at a baseball bat or something and bang it with a hammer?

jraben8
07-17-2006, 11:53 AM
And how do you keep it from happening again!!!!!!

milkmania
07-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry, he was in the engine compartment on the Suburban.....
I still have yet to identify the remains

gotta remove the body first http://deephousepage.com/smilies/Smoker.gif

07-17-2006, 11:55 AM
so how did you "dis-able" the baastard?

milkmania
07-17-2006, 11:59 AM
so how did you "dis-able" the baastard?
I took my extendable car wash brush and took the scrubber head off, entended it as far as it would extend (wasn't enough to make me comfortable) and let him strike at it while I proceeded to smash his head against the firewall.

heard this strange hissing noise from either the snake or the A/C lines:(

many strikes for him AND me, but I won......I hope

I'll let you know in a little bit:cool:

RexDog1
07-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Run ……did I say Run….. no RUN VERY FAST

milkmania
07-17-2006, 12:05 PM
well fuzzy nuts!!!!!

he ain't dead

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm sorry, he was in the engine compartment on the Suburban.....
I still have yet to identify the remains

gotta remove the body first http://deephousepage.com/smilies/Smoker.gif

Probably from the "Suburbanusgetinandhideus" family of reptiles

milkmania
07-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Probably from the "Suburbanusgetinandhideus" family of reptiles

well....he's gonna have to split the gas money with me if he wants a ride!

X2M
07-17-2006, 12:10 PM
well fuzzy nuts!!!!!

he ain't dead

Get a shovel and chop his head off. :rolleyes:

Good luck Milk.

I've got the heebie jeebies just from looking at the picture. :o So happy those dont live here in California.

LakePirate
07-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey Milk Drive him around the block and see if you can cook him.

I like my snake cooked to about 210 degrees.

milkmania
07-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Get a shovel and chop his head off. :rolleyes:

at this point, he appears to be holed up under the radiator overflow reservoir, but it also appears his jaw don't quite line up right anymore;)

07-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Sometimes its good to live in Michigan, and this is one of those times!:)

OK, how bout this Milk. get him to strike on that long stick again, and then use a sharp object to decapitate it as X2Momma suggested.

or could you try to poison it? maybe get it to strike the stick and spray the he11 out of it with some paint, brake clean, or WD40 or some type of areosol chemical? kitchen cleaner, bleach? something. That could get him pretty sickly and maybe he would get out of the car to escape?

07-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey Milk Drive him around the block and see if you can cook him.

I like my snake cooked to about 210 degrees.
Do you like fries with that too Lakey? I could saute you some mushrooms and green beans in butter and a crushed clove of garlic to go with it. :confused:

LakePirate
07-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Do you like fries with that too Lakey? I could saute you some mushrooms and green beans in butter and a crushed clove of garlic to go with it. :confused:

Curly fries please, that is unless you have some gator tail.

milkmania
07-17-2006, 12:24 PM
I Won!!!:D

http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/snake2.jpg

the kids got a good laugh watching me through the window:rolleyes:

JimN
07-17-2006, 12:25 PM
That looks like a black racer, non venomous. Still, it's painful if it bites. You can call the police or animal control and they usually have someone go out to relocate it. If you do that now, you're going to have to tell them you don't know how it was injured. If you have a grabbing tool for getting cans, etc from high shelves, you could use that, but it may not close enough.

I would imagine that it could be lured out with a piece of chicken, too.

Now that I see the picture, you could have just started the motor and let it get too hot under the hood. It would have left on its own. They eat a lot of mice and other rodent pests.

UMP- you must be forgetting that you have timber rattlers up there, along with black widows.

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 12:26 PM
I really don't think I will be right the rest of the day after seeing that snake! Will probably have dreams tonight about it!
Milk, I sure hope you get that sucker out! That just ain't right! You might just have to change your screen name, from Milkmania to "SnakeCharmer"!

milkmania
07-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Sometimes its good to live in Michigan, and this is one of those times!:)

OK, how bout this Milk. get him to strike on that long stick again, and then use a sharp object to decapitate it as X2Momma suggested.

or could you try to poison it? maybe get it to strike the stick and spray the he11 out of it with some paint, brake clean, or WD40 or some type of areosol chemical? kitchen cleaner, bleach? something. That could get him pretty sickly and maybe he would get out of the car to escape?

I took a piece of bailin' wire, fashioned a hook on the end, used wire pliers to cut a diagonal point on the wire, and hooked him!

the scary part:
3 foot of bailin' wire, 5 foot of snake:o

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Down South Black Racers are Solid BLACK and I don't like the looks of his diamond shaped head! While your at it and got him out, why don't you go ahead and cut his head off right behind his ears!

dog paw
07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
That looks like a good ole harmless black snake........ To me there harmless when there head is no longer attatched to there body LOL!

He could work his way around the AC max air door and come in the cab to say hello hehe!

One of my buds was greeted by a water snake last Saturday at one of our swim coves. He bit his lip as he walked on water to get to the back of my boat but when it popped its head up at him to say hi he screamed the "S" word The beach cleared out like Jaws himself beached on the sand! Frigging hilarious!!!!

Maristar210
07-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Milk,

Looks like he recently ate comething unless the picture is awry. Look like that to you too?

Steve

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Milk,

Looks like he recently ate comething unless the picture is awry. Look like that to you too?

Steve

The snake might have had a air filter for breakfast!

milkmania
07-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Milk,

Steve

I think he took several lumps this morning;)

Tom023
07-17-2006, 12:42 PM
According to http://www.oklahomapoison.org/general/snake.asp, looks like it's the water snake with triangular head, which usually means venomous.

milkmania
07-17-2006, 12:47 PM
According to http://www.oklahomapoison.org/general/snake.asp, looks like it's the water snake with triangular head, which usually means venomous.

makes me wanna rethink trying to kill a snake while I'm wearing sandals:eek3:

me thinks I'm going to place him stratigically along the driveway where my wife parks her truckhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/daz.gif

chudson
07-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Living on the farm I'll find a snake from time to time and I used to kill'em too then I found out they eat mice and rats so I herd them into a 5 gal. plastic bucket put a piece of plywood on top and take them down the road and let them out. We have no poisinous snakes here in east central Illinois, that I know of. Maybe to get them out of a tight spot though a little Bo-Peep ammonia sprinkled around them might get them to move! But have your running shoes warmed up!!!

Hoff1
07-17-2006, 01:15 PM
About 75 mph on the highway, then 2 miles of offroading through some mud and water. That should take care of it. Or, you could use a fire extinguisher to flush him out.

JimN
07-17-2006, 01:37 PM
The picture of the venomous snakes clearly shows the heat-sensitive pits near the snout. That's why they're called "pit vipers", etc. Most venomous snakes have the pits and the one in the original photo doesn't. The rattlers do, cottonmouths do, moccasins do and the head on the one in the Suburban was long and slender. I googled 'Black Racer" and they have a link for Black Rat Snake, which is what it looks like.

07-17-2006, 01:50 PM
UMP- you must be forgetting that you have timber rattlers up there, along with black widows.
Jim, I dont know if you realize I am in the UPPER peninsula of michigan. It is COLD here. we have no venomous snakes or spiders. its too cold for them to survive here. According to every study I have ever read or heard there are none here. Unless thats changed recently. The DNR doesnt acknowledge their presence here if that means anything. But the DNR also says we dont have cougars here, which is BS because my parents had one in their front yard and there are quite a few sightings around here and people have tracks in their yards in the winter. To my knowledge, there are no dangerous snakes or spiders here. They say the only threat is if they were shipped up here in crates or something on a truck or train, but they cant survive once fall comes. I have never heard of anyone ever encountering a poisonous snake or spider here. just my expereince.

JimN
07-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah, it says so in your location. Look up Massasauga rattler. They're in the lower part of the state, in every county all the way to the tip. Doesn't mean there are absolutely none. Doesn't mean I was right, either.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

BTW- the timber rattler is usually found as far north as Minneapolis, along the Mississippi River basin.

I worked at a lumber yard in the mid '70s and we got a lot of lumber from Northern WI and the UP with black widows and nests in them.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Milk,
Thanks for the pics. That was weird, you will now have me looking under the hood before sticking my hand in there.
Thanks.......:rolleyes:

07-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah, it says so in your location. Look up Massasauga rattler. They're in the lower part of the state, in every county all the way to the tip. Doesn't mean there are absolutely none. Doesn't mean I was right, either.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

BTW- the timber rattler is usually found as far north as Minneapolis, along the Mississippi River basin.

I worked at a lumber yard in the mid '70s and we got a lot of lumber from Northern WI and the UP with black widows and nests in them.
well JIm, I am not saying I am right either, just never heard of them up here.

Now stop freaking me out!!:mad: :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

JimN
07-17-2006, 11:18 PM
I looked for the range of Black Widow Spiders and they go up to the 45th parallel, +/- a but. The UP Southern part is at 44.5 degrees and it goes up to 46 degrees. You got 'em, baby!

I've been to the UP many times for ski trips. I was up there in Feb. Stayed in Hurley but skied at Blackjack and Whitecap. Have also skied the Porkies, Indianhead, Powderhorn, etc.

07-17-2006, 11:52 PM
I looked for the range of Black Widow Spiders and they go up to the 45th parallel, +/- a but. The UP Southern part is at 44.5 degrees and it goes up to 46 degrees. You got 'em, baby!

I've been to the UP many times for ski trips. I was up there in Feb. Stayed in Hurley but skied at Blackjack and Whitecap. Have also skied the Porkies, Indianhead, Powderhorn, etc.
Your in my backyard baby! Dont break the speed limit in Ironwood. Got a cousin thats a cop there. He is a **** and he will write you up!:( Watch your speed. I thought I told you to quit freakin me out!! want to make me start carrying a can or raid on my belt? that might work on my superhero costume......hmmmmm..........

JimN
07-17-2006, 11:59 PM
He's alright, we just gave him a bunch of beer. Doing 80 on HWY 2 going into Bessemer was a blast!

07-18-2006, 12:02 AM
He's alright, we just gave him a bunch of beer. Doing 80 on HWY 2 going into Bessemer was a blast!
Dayum! there is a State police post in Bessemer! Lucky dog!!! I bet that was fun!!:D If I can pry my arse out of the house in the COLD, COLD winter time, I may come skiing with you if you return. I can stay at his house in Ironwood. we can ski at any of the hills over there. His girlfriend works at the hill, so mabye we can get a deal on a lift ticket.....

LakePirate
07-18-2006, 12:06 AM
UMP your old lady is a ski bunny?

07-18-2006, 12:11 AM
UMP your old lady is a ski bunny?
uh, no lakey she aint. :( my woman dont ski at all, water or snow. :( :( she hates cold, like me.

My cousins girlfriend works at a ski hill, but she aint a ski bunny either.

SOrry......:(

JimN
07-18-2006, 12:13 AM
We were up there a few years ago and once we got on the lift, we looked at the guys working the chair and my friend said, "Now I know where carnies go in winter".

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Snakes are bad, but three weeks ago, while digging up some monkey grass, I encountered a Yellow Jacket nest and got stung 17 times on the ankle, left hand and right arm. This week I have neutralized my third nest in another section of monkey grass with 2 entrances, 3" in diameter. I have some very upset homeless bees, upset with me, but I've got plenty more mineral spirits left for them!

jimmer2880
07-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Snakes are bad, but three weeks ago, while digging up some monkey grass, I encountered a Yellow Jacket nest and got stung 17 times on the ankle, left hand and right arm. This week I have neutralized my third nest in another section of monkey grass with 2 entrances, 3" in diameter. I have some very upset homeless bees, upset with me, but I've got plenty more mineral spirits left for them!

That sounds like fun. Do you mind sharing your eviction process?

I do the gas & lighter thing, but it doesn't always work the 1st time.

SKI*MC
07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
WOW! Thats crazy! While I was at wakeboard camp last week, when i was riding i saw a snake gliding across the water, at least it looked like a snake to me!

07-18-2006, 01:57 PM

I find the best method of getting rid of a bee's nest is to wait until dark. that way the bees are all inside. then get some Wasp and Hornet Killer spray. get two cans so you can use the skinny little red nozzle on one, and use the other without. So heres how ol UMP the hornet slayer does it. first, protect yourself from potential stings in case things go wrong. You get the thickest jacket you can find (not a problem in the UP)and put it on, and use leather work gloves, thick ones. and then you wear a motorcycle hemet(fullface with shield) and then wrap a big scarf around your neck to protect your neck from stings. so you climb the ladder with both cans of wasp killer, GENTLY poke the nozzle into the nest so its in the middle, then you take the other and spray it up the nest opening to catch any strays. spray the nozzle can and the other can for about 30 seconds to 1 minute then stop, your done! bees are dead, your safe. knock the next down the next day when its light.

Tom023
07-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Had a big hornets nest in the bushes on the side of the house once. Just took a plumbers propane torch, fired it up on high and stuck it the nest opening. Nothing came out as the nest burned.

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Pulled the UMP method on some ground hornets (nasty buggers) two years ago. Two cans of hornet killer down their hole at 11 PM while my wife laughed at my homemade bee suit.

07-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Pulled the UMP method on some ground hornets (nasty buggers) two years ago. Two cans of hornet killer down their hole at 11 PM while my wife laughed at my homemade bee suit.
MY neighbors dont laugh at my homemade bee suit. They are used to it. I wear mine around the yard sometimes for fun! ;) usually while pushing around one of those toys that looks like a multicolored popcorn popper-lawnmowing device type thing. Now we have one of those "neighborhood watch zone" signs nailed up on the telephone pole near my house. :confused:

TMCNo1
07-18-2006, 05:05 PM

Wait till late evening, near dark, with yellow jackets there are usually 2 entrances, one used as a escape route, hit it first with mineral spirits, [cheaper than gas and won't evaporate as quick] about 1/4 gal., then hit the entrance with ms, 1/4 gal. Then hit with a waterhose carrying the thinner into the nest with the water, enough to contaminate the nest. The bees will fly the nest for about a day and then leave because of the damage done and start another nest, by those few who survived.

Datdude
07-18-2006, 05:10 PM

I almost had to wipe and I wasn't even there:eek:

Snakes SUCK

milkmania
07-19-2006, 11:40 PM
little bastage cost me $414.37

evidentally it wasn't the snake I heard hissing:o

Leroy
07-19-2006, 11:54 PM
UMP, wasps and yellowjackets are the perfect opportunity to get to use gasoline and fire! My wife accepts that I get to play with fire then! Rags around a stick soaked in gas is great for wasps, catch them at night and burns off all of there wings instantly. For yellow jackets pour a quart to gallon of gas (kerosene is actually safer) in the hole and lite it up! I got in a yellowjacket nest at my mom's couple weeks ago in Tn, man those things are nasty and don't give you much change to figure out where the hole is!

I find the best method of getting rid of a bee's nest is to wait until dark. that way the bees are all inside. then get some Wasp and Hornet Killer spray. get two cans so you can use the skinny little red nozzle on one, and use the other without. So heres how ol UMP the hornet slayer does it. first, protect yourself from potential stings in case things go wrong. You get the thickest jacket you can find (not a problem in the UP)and put it on, and use leather work gloves, thick ones. and then you wear a motorcycle hemet(fullface with shield) and then wrap a big scarf around your neck to protect your neck from stings. so you climb the ladder with both cans of wasp killer, GENTLY poke the nozzle into the nest so its in the middle, then you take the other and spray it up the nest opening to catch any strays. spray the nozzle can and the other can for about 30 seconds to 1 minute then stop, your done! bees are dead, your safe. knock the next down the next day when its light.

07-20-2006, 09:58 AM
you've got quite a hobby there Leroy!!!:D your wife let you play with dynamite too? I bet your kids love you on the 4th of July!!:uglyhamme

T Scott
07-20-2006, 11:07 AM
My mom always uses wasp spray to "get rid" of snakes. Simply spray it on their skin and it somehow messes with their nervous system and renders them........dead!

TMCNo1
07-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Wait till late evening, near dark, with yellow jackets there are usually 2 entrances, one used as a escape route, hit it first with mineral spirits, [cheaper than gas and won't evaporate as quick] about 1/4 gal., then hit the entrance with ms, 1/4 gal. Then hit with a waterhose carrying the thinner into the nest with the water, enough to contaminate the nest. The bees will fly the nest for about a day and then leave because of the damage done and start another nest, by those few who survived.

My Yellow Jackets are all gone now, after 1 day of trying to figure what happened, and now they are refugees looking for a new home. They will show up somewhere!
I don't set the nests on fire, because around here they usually build in mulch and or pine straw [needles] in landscaping around and close to the house. It would be hard to explain to the insurance co. and the fire marshall how I burnt my house down killing yellow jackets. Got them behind my vinyl siding a couple years ago, used 4 cans of wasp and hornet spray that shoots 20' over 4 days and it didn't fase them. Called the bug man and he was due to treat next day anyway and he got them with his sprayer from the big tank in the truck. In 3 hours, no sign of bees! Serious stuff! And the beat goes on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!