PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen these Epics?

kycat2007
07-16-2006, 10:55 PM
http://www.epicboats.com/dealers.html

The hull on this thing looks like a really old boat. Has anyone heard of them? If you have, what be up with them?

Leroy
07-16-2006, 11:00 PM
EPIC was a ski/board boat made by Toyota but they got out out of the business in 2000 when I bought my Maristar 230. Guessing they are trying again or sold the name to someone who is. Pure guess and website did not have any clues for me.

'02xrider
07-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Epic is a brand new company. From what I have read on www.wakeworld.com they begin production real soon. Designed from the ground er, water up for wakeboarding. 4200# of ballast at the flip of a switch.

Harvey
07-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Not the same as the Toyota boats. A guy built the first one in his garage from the "water up". They are going to production and have plans for a 21 ft model next year. It appears to be a well thought out boat but as most boat owners know design and execution of that design are not necessarily synonymous.

Tom023
07-17-2006, 05:35 PM
From the pictures I don't see anything that makes go "wow" this is really something new; unless I count the cut off bow, which doesn't do it for me. I guess the real test will be the engineering and quality.

Rixter_69
07-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Toyota exited the business in 2002: http://www.rbbi.com/company/toyota/toyotac.htm

Perhaps they bought the naming rights from Toyota and are launching the company under the EPIC brand, but I wasn't able to find anything that connects the two. There are a couple of references in the Wakboardreport blog, this guys likes 'em. http://www.wakeboardreport.com/

My take is, would you spend $40-50K of your hard earned green on a boat where you don't know if the manufacturer will be around in 3 years (anyone remember Inifinity)????

Besides as was pointed out, what is so unique about this boat??

I'm just sayin.....

DanC
07-17-2006, 06:16 PM
You can't "see" what these guys have done with the hull. IIRC last year there was a big story about their hull design. Their concept was to create a hull that is "sucked" down into the water at below planning speeds, thus creating bigger wakeboard wakes without ballast. There was no consideration for boat or wake performance above 25 mph. Seems like it might make a great wakeboard boat but a lousy boat to drive around.

This is a very unique boat. The sound system in the stern is unique and there is no hull out there like this.

G-man
07-17-2006, 08:15 PM
After the Toyota mess why would use the name Epic. So many here thought it was the Toyota.

JimN
07-17-2006, 08:58 PM
The Epic boats wern't bad, they just didn't get anybody particularly geeked up when they came out with them. The Infinity motor was really smooth but it had no cajones.

Specially designed hull? They're just doing what every other boat maker has been trying to get away from. A lot of wetted surface and excessive rocker will definitely pull the boat down into the water. I don't know what the extra 3200# of ballast is going to do, though.

Anyone know why 'BU went away from the butted edge hull/deck joint? Too many hull/deck joint failures. The MC sales manager in 1998 (may still be, as far as I know) worked for 'BU and kicked the side in on one boat at a show, demonstrating how their boats were going to be much better in the future. I would shoebox the joint, like just about everyone else.

6ballsisall
07-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Personally I think the boat is Butt arse ugly!

BrianM
07-17-2006, 09:01 PM
(anyone remember Inifinity)????

Nothing wrong with an Infinity. The ZX-1 would be my second choice after an MC. Has the same father as MC (Rob Shirley) and is now being produced by Svfara as the SV One. Very unique V-drive configuration and a great hardcore slalom boat.

erkoehler
07-17-2006, 11:25 PM
EPIC....haha!

Seen what coming in person, and it is junk. Don't get your hopes up.

JimN
07-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Hey ERK- didn't anyone tell you that when you're in sales, you should tactfully tell people that your product is better, not that the competitor's product is junk?

erkoehler
07-18-2006, 12:03 AM
Hey ERK- didn't anyone tell you that when you're in sales, you should tactfully tell people that your product is better, not that the competitor's product is junk?

There's no hiding the truth :) There boat was interesting at best.....I'll safely call it a trailer queen :D

Your buddy Will can back me up on that.

Jimmy O
07-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Speaking of new boats. My brother just bought a new Malibu Response LXI, much against my suggestion of buying a Mastercraft. Has anyone recently slalomed behind this boat? I found the wake a little harsh compared to my 92 prostar and the Gecko we usually ski behind. Least to say, he is not very happy as we basically slalom. The boat is beautiful, has the wedge and tower for good wakeboarding and is touted as a world class slalom boat. I can't agree. They say Chris Parrish set a new world record behind the same boat according to the dealer. Is this true?

ttu
07-18-2006, 09:17 AM
I have riden behind a few of the "older" toyota epic boats. They were very very well built, just didn't take off well.

The Lexus engine was very nice. It did not have the same hp's (somewhere around 300) as indmar and pcm engines, but also burned about half the fuel.$$$$$$$

I think Chris Anthony is the one who now is running Epic boats. Not a bad boat but I would not buy one.

rodltg2
07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Speaking of new boats. My brother just bought a new Malibu Response LXI, much against my suggestion of buying a Mastercraft. Has anyone recently slalomed behind this boat? I found the wake a little harsh compared to my 92 prostar and the Gecko we usually ski behind. Least to say, he is not very happy as we basically slalom. The boat is beautiful, has the wedge and tower for good wakeboarding and is touted as a world class slalom boat. I can't agree. They say Chris Parrish set a new world record behind the same boat according to the dealer. Is this true?

i own one, skis great. however from what ive heard the boat is a better shortline boat than a long line boat.