PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft stump removal system

c640947
07-16-2006, 11:52 PM
It does take two 2006 Mastercraft X2s to perform this new feature, but it worked well......

Headed out to the lake from river and got to the shallow part where it opens up and I took a route I used to take. Tons of other people were going that way, most at speed. I idled to play it safe. Bonk. It turned off the engine (when I guess prop couldn't turn all the way.) I checked it - soft wood stump just on the prop, nothing else. Couldn't get it off. Thanks to some buddies of mine in the same boat, Jay and Rich, for towing us in in their X2. I went to storage and luckily had a corded drill there and went to town on this thing. I eventually drilled enough holes that it came off. I didn't want to pry it off for fear of damaging the shaft. It probably weighed 15 lbs. Prop looked fine except for some scuffing, it turned fine etc. No visible damage. Took the boat back to the river to find out how bad the vibrations were etc. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Ran fine. Watched engine temp, oil pressure, check for leaks, tested everything. Tested and tested and eventually decided to ride it was so perfect.

Thanks to Mastercraft for a great and well built product. And thanks to my luck that day for not destroying the underside.

Does anyone have any concerns with the situation? I go in for my 100 hour service in two weeks, so everything will get checked then, but it worked perfect when we took it back to the river.

Thanks in advance for any comments.....

c640947
07-16-2006, 11:53 PM
another view

c640947
07-16-2006, 11:55 PM
and one more.....

I also wanna say thanks to TeamTalk members. Anytime I have had a problem or issue I always get tons of great information. I hope I can at least provide some info from time to time to do my part.

Leroy
07-17-2006, 12:03 AM
WOW, glad it turned out this good! Looks like it hit the stump where the blade went in with the grain, from someone who has split a lot of wood maybe a lucky hit and good thing you were going at idle.

djhuff
07-17-2006, 08:44 AM
You were lucky, I was not.

I was pulling someone and blasted a 3 foot long piece that looked like part of a telephone pole. Looking like I need a new rudder, shaft, prop and strut.

Ouch

TMCNo1
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
That is unreal! Glad there is no apparent damage. Just don't be the next one to clean the lake of debris, if you can help it!

ski_king
07-17-2006, 10:25 AM
2 things......

1 Yesterday was your lucky day. The chances of doing that with no apperant damage is unreal. You should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday.

2 They make cheaper and better log splitters than a X2.

Tom023
07-17-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm trying to figure out how you got the boat on the trailer without it hanging up on the prop guard.

richardsoncd
07-17-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm trying to figure out how you got the boat on the trailer without it hanging up on the prop guard.

Ditto....that had to have been a lot of elbow grease.

ttu
07-17-2006, 11:29 AM

I ditto this one. I can't see how it was put on the trailer?

jraben8
07-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Probably enough of an angle that it floated on and the trailer cradled it when it sat down when being pulled out.

c640947
07-17-2006, 08:37 PM
That was exactly it. We floated it on and it must have sat down on the trailer as I pulled it out of the water. The look on peoples faces when we pulled it out was priceless. While I was wiping the boat down and deciding what to do, a guy who had been out jet skiing came up to me and said - "you hit a stump or something!" I said "really?" thinking he was joking. he wasn't. "come here and look. man you musta hit it right before you put it on the trailer. man how did you drive it on the trailer with that thing on there?" .....me "dude go back to jetskiing."

dapicatti
07-18-2006, 01:58 AM
That is unreal. Glad to see that beautiful X-2 is apparently unharmed! We own Jetskis too, but hopefully aren't the typical dumb a_______ you run across.