PDA

View Full Version : Checking the fuel sender

BigBarney
07-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Put my new sender on Saturday and crossed my fingers that it would solve my gauge problems. Unfortunately, no luck. Gauge still reads full. I've read the posts on checking for ground problems - but am a little confused. I have a three wire plug that connectes to my sender. Would somebody give me some step by step instructions on checking it out. Better yet, I'd love to give someone a call tomorrow and talk through it. PM me with a number to reach you.

Thx!!!

BigBarney
07-16-2006, 10:31 PM
I also read some of the posts on MYMC. Seems the sender may need adjustment. Has anyone had to do this?

JimN
07-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Did yo bother to look at the gauge with the key on after you pulled the sender out?

BigBarney
07-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Gauge reads empty with sender unplugged.

JimN
07-17-2006, 09:46 AM
I meant checking the gauge with the sender out of the tank but still connected. Then, you can see if it's just the empty setting that needs readjusting. When I installed new senders, I always used a clean one liter Pespi bottle with gas in it and made sure that the sender was in a couple of inches of gas when I set the empty. That way, when it read empty, whoever owned the boat could still get back to the dock.

BigBarney
07-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I drove up to the lakehouse today to troubleshoot my fuel sender/gauge issue per some advice from JimN. Here's what I did:

- I first unplugged the fuel sender and turned the key on to see if I could get a power reading on the plug running from the boat (this plug connects to the fuel sender plug) with a test light. The test light did not light up.

- I thought that odd, so I unplugged the fuel pump plug an tested it. Still no power reading. So I tested the light using the battery and verified that it worked.

- I plugged the fuel pump back up and plugged the fuel sender back up. To my amazement (which it doesn't take much to amaze me), the fuel gauge did not move to the "F" reading, but stayed a little under the 1/2 reading. I looked at my tank, and that was about how much gas I had in it.

- I turned the key off. Then turned it back on. It registered appropriately again.

So I guess all you guys having the same type of problem as me, may want to try unplugging your fuel sender and fuel pump. Then plug them back up. Not sure if the problem will not come back, but I will be checking this weekend.

Some things are just too weird!!!!

JimN
07-18-2006, 02:44 PM
There's not a lot of current in that circuit so it may be better to use a multi-meter instead of a test light.

Sometimes, the connections get dirty, as in all electronics. Could be that or a flakey ground.