PDA

View Full Version : Footin Drivin

thijs
07-16-2006, 08:11 PM
I am interested in learning to 'foot this year, and I want to learn right. I have made the investment in a boom and bf wetsuit. I think I can imagine the next step; just get out there an try. I do have a few questions:

1) Are there any tips for driving with a footer on the boom?

2) Is there any chance I am going to knock my chiclets (teeth) out on the boom without the 5' rope?

3) Once I'm up, how do I dismount???? (Less painful version to the tumble I am sure I will have had my share of before getting up)

Thijs

tex
07-16-2006, 08:15 PM
http://www.thefootersedge.com/ebook/

A ton of tips for footing and driving!

atlfootr
07-16-2006, 08:46 PM
I am interested in learning to 'foot this year, and I want to learn right.
I have made the investment in a boom and bf wetsuit.
ThijsGREAT job :wavey:
You've taken the first steps in a sport that you can now go in both direction, forwards and backwards.
I did a quick search on Google for a Canadian BFooter I know, who if he's up there is someone you should take the time to find. Richard Grey is his name, he's a member of "TEAM CANADA" perhaps you've heard of him.

If not, giving any amount of time in this sport you will.
He's also associated w/ "The Barefoot Company" and is good friends w/ Lane Bowers.
I also found this link, for you to look at.
http://www.waterski-wakeboard.ca/barefoot_e.htm

It has ALL INFO RE: Canada Barefoot Water-Skiing
Keep us all up dated on your foot'n / start video taping NOW - you'll see a tremendous difference down the road.

Good Luck in your new pursuit and remember "TOES UP" :wavey:

atlfootr
07-16-2006, 09:09 PM
I found this under Barefoot National Teams ...

Barefoot
What Is Barefoot?
History
Events
National Team
Team Programs
Grassroots
Useful Links
Results & Rules
Officials

thijs
07-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the links. I got out last weekend and decided to give'r a try. It was simple as this: I suited up, grabbed onto the boom, told my dad to just hammer the throttle till a little less than 40mph, swung around, planted my feet and there I was, (with a couple of trips) barefooting. My dad saw how much fun I had, suited up and tried. He got onto his feet faster than me.

But ouuuuch, the next day my knees and butt felt like I got beat by whip and chain for the night. My dad still feels like he has water in his ear!!!

Thanks guys, I am now going to be moving to 5' rope to up the challenge.

chudson
07-26-2006, 01:18 PM
[I am interested in learning to 'foot this year, and I want to learn right. I have made the investment in a boom and bf wetsuit. I think I can imagine the next step; just get out there an try. I do have a few questions:]

1) Are there any tips for driving with a footer on the boom?

With the skier on the boom the driver will have to turn the boat away from that side because the boat tends to turn into the side the skier is on.

2) Is there any chance I am going to knock my chiclets (teeth) out on the boom without the 5' rope?

Done it on the boom many times with a rope handle and without and never had a problem. It real hard to fall that far foward.

3) Once I'm up, how do I dismount???? (Less painful version to the tumble I am sure I will have had my share of before getting up)

If your wearing a barefoot suit just drop to your butt, let go and glide to a stop. Or just let go standing up and you'll glide a real short distance and sink into the water.

thijs
07-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks chudson!
I figured out about the pull the hard way, wow does the boat ever track over towards the footer when they are dragging, then way less drag once they are up (thus a huge overcorrection). I didn't seem to get too close the the boom when my feet caught, in fact I even managed to just hold on when my feet caught. I ended up sitting down and gliding on my back to dismount. Really it seemed too easy, so I am going to 5' next.

Thanks everyone, I should have pics of my footing this summer. I don't think the wakeboard or ski are going to get much more attention!!!

Yahoooooo!