PDA

View Full Version : Southern Albertan's???

thijs
07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Are there any other southern Albertans in here? (Other than my dad who is a registered TT member)

André
07-17-2006, 02:23 PM
NeilM is in Calgary.
jpattigr is in Alberta too if i remember http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=168 is bonedoc
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=34
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=113

thijs
07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Found a guy skiing a '88 or '87 PS190 on a course at Ghost Dam, wonder if he is a member. Didn't get a chance to ask, I was too busy learning to foot!!! (I did it too)

Bert
07-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Found a guy skiing a '88 or '87 PS190 on a course at Ghost Dam, wonder if he is a member. Didn't get a chance to ask, I was too busy learning to foot!!! (I did it too) I am in Calgary as well. Was that prostar at Ghost teal and white? Got a friend at Ghost Village with an 89 that combo.

teddy
07-25-2006, 08:43 PM
I live in Calgary but usually run my boat in Northwest Montana near Eureka.

Bert
07-26-2006, 12:15 AM
I live in Calgary but usually run my boat in Northwest Montana near Eureka. Which lakes ? Sophie, Glen, Koocanusa ? I haven't seen your boat over at Dickie. I usually drop my slalom course in Dickie lake and have been spending most of my summers there for the last twenty years.

Wes
07-26-2006, 12:45 AM
And here I thought all of Southern Alberta was on Okanagan Lake this weekend :)

Bert
07-26-2006, 01:24 AM
And here I thought all of Southern Alberta was on Okanagan Lake this weekend :)
To much of that duck itch out that way:D

Blair
07-26-2006, 01:50 AM
northern alberta up here...

jpattigr
07-26-2006, 03:04 AM
Live in Cochrane, but summer up north at a lake.

Matter of fact, was riding behind Blair's (see above) new X 10 on the weekend!! Very sweet boat with an awesome wakeboard wake and awesome boat for wakesurfing.

Blair and I are nieghbors in cottage land and with my PT197 and his X-10 we are in great shape for all water sports.

Thanks for the rides Blair (and Roger), awesome time!!

teddy
07-26-2006, 07:02 AM
I am at Glen. I have not put in at Dicky but have always admired it when we have driven past. Where do you tuck your slalom course there?

thijs
07-26-2006, 11:26 AM
And here I thought all of Southern Alberta was on Okanagan Lake this weekend
I am not there yet, but will be in Osoyoos last week in August and first week in September. Anyone going to be there that time PM me. (Anyone know if the course is set up right now in Osoyoos?)

Tired of the idiots, wind and deadheads in Ghost Dam????

I am in Calgary as well. Was that prostar at Ghost teal and white? Got a friend at Ghost Village with an 89 that combo.
Yeah it was a teal and blue one. he was a pretty nice guy. He came over and gave us some zip-ties incase we dislodged a bouy, and took turns with us making passes. (We were barefooting beside the course).

Wes
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Ducks, we have a few alright. :)

Wes
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
We are going to spend a few days during that time, and will look for you.

Look for a black Supra, with a bunch of Ski Skiers, and my blue Prostar. Usually in on the US side. Should be some top notch Ski Skiers from Washington State showing up for a week as well.

Bert
07-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Yeah it was a teal and blue one. he was a pretty nice guy. He came over and gave us some zip-ties incase we dislodged a bouy, and took turns with us making passes. (We were barefooting beside the course).
That looks like Ed's boat

Bert
07-26-2006, 06:01 PM
I am at Glen. I have not put in at Dicky but have always admired it when we have driven past. Where do you tuck your slalom course there?
Way down in the South East corner where the I/O guy's are afraid to go. We set it up so the turnaround is very tight at the south end to keep the wally's away. It is hard to see from the hi way. I have gone over to Glen weekday mornings when Dickie is blown out, nice ski lake.

ALBERTASKIER
07-26-2006, 06:19 PM
I am in Calgary. Black and White 1990 Prostar 190. We are usually in southern alberta, Pine Coulee, Little bow, and my parents have cabin on Elkwater lake.

thijs
07-27-2006, 11:32 AM
I am in Calgary. Black and White 1990 Prostar 190. We are usually in southern alberta, Pine Coulee, Little bow, and my parents have cabin on Elkwater lake.

Little Bow or Traver's Resevoir on the east side??? We used to frequent to south side of Traver's Resevoir, there are a lot less yahoo's around there. Plus cheaper camping, notice my avatar: Traver's Resevoir.

Look for a black Supra, with a bunch of Ski Skiers, and my blue Prostar. Usually in on the US side. Should be some top notch Ski Skiers from Washington State showing up for a week as well.

We will be in the middle portion of the lake, at the Sun Beach Motel. We are in a navy and pink striped 94PS205. I have an old friend who I think has a X-star or similar now. He used to have a 1991 Supra Comp. All white with a black pinstripe-used to be a great boat. The one I used to compare all other boats (till our MC). I haven't seen them in a few years, we haven't been there with our boat for years. I am hoping to start the annual visit again. Love that Place (Osoyoos)!!

Wes
07-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Most of the inlaw's friends have been going to Osoyoos for many years to the same place (Brookvale, last campsite before the border). I had the dates mixed up, They will be there between Aug 2 and 14th. Half the group is from BC the other half from Alberta. It is a great place and a great time. Warmest lake in Canada...no comments from our southern neighbours about how warm... You will have a great vacation, bring your golf clubs and get ready for some great wine tours.

Blair
07-28-2006, 02:58 AM

Matter of fact, was riding behind Blair's (see above) new X 10 on the weekend!! Very sweet boat with an awesome wakeboard wake and awesome boat for wakesurfing.

Blair and I are nieghbors in cottage land and with my PT197 and his X-10 we are in great shape for all water sports.

Thanks for the rides Blair (and Roger), awesome time!!

No Problem JP, well all had a riot out there and are looking forward to doing it again,

were heading down to canmore for the weekend but come the long weekend we have 3 days of "deep water fun" ahead of us, ive decided that i want to take up skiing, so ill keep pushing you on the wakeboard and you can coach me and help me at least make an attempt at the course by the end of next summer is my ultimate plan.

it will work good for both of us :D

thijs
07-28-2006, 11:11 AM
You will have a great vacation, bring your golf clubs and get ready for some great wine tours.

Golfclubs???? I don't do tee times, I have ski times!! lol I am not much of a wiine guy either, are there rye whiskey tours?? Maybe beer tours!!??

Thanks, I am sure I will have a great vacation. I had been going there annually from age 6 to 14, same hotel even same room usually. I remember staying at Brookvale once when we first starting to go to Osoyoos. (And yes our first year we found Haynes Point the wrong way, we have since towed a few others who did the same) I hope to start going again annually now that I am 25 and finally have a little money.

On the top of the lookout on the highway to Castlegar is where I proposed to my now wife two summers ago. Yeah Osoyoos means a lot to us, what a great place!! Too many stories to tell.

teddy
07-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Alberta Skier
Where are the pictures of your boat?

Wes
07-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey when you get older the golfing comes into play...:)

Haynes Point is kinda tricky alright, there is the odd boater that doesn't notice that there are people standing knee deep in the water in the middle of the channel. Our neighbour hit the gravel bar at 30 mph pulling her husband on a slalom ski...stopped all of sudden. Good thing not much damage.

Wes
07-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Osoyoos last summer

thijs
07-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Here is a pic of me in the 10th Anneversary Supra Comp TS6M. I think I was 14 in the picture. This WAS my long time dream boat...you just can't beat the lines. Looks like a stealth bomber or something. Anyways this was my buddies boat in Osoyoos back then. Talk about a dream for a 14 year old. I was allowed to take my families boat whenever I wanted across the lake to my buddies (there were a couple girls my age there). I got to hang at a house on the lake with a Supra on the dock and a couple of Seadoo's. That is one of the reasons why Osoyoos is my 'happy place'.

Thijs

thijs
07-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Sorry I am having troubles uploading the picture. Take my word for it if it does't work again: Sweet boat, Sweet Lake, BAD hair

Wes
07-28-2006, 06:10 PM
My sisters boat looks the same only black with a tower..

thijs
07-28-2006, 07:41 PM
My sisters boat looks the same only black with a tower..
Really?? There must have been a few of the white special edition ones, and there are a few white and black comps. Does your sisters have and emroidered crest on the inside of the gunwale??? (You can see the crest through the windshiel in this pic) If it is what does she want for it!!!???? I'd love to get my hands on one. I can't even find any info on them let alone one!! If it is the special edition one with the all white and all the embroidery (I think the engines were tricked out too) Do you know the story behind them?

Wes
07-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Theirs is not the special edition, but I will try and find out the story...

thijs
07-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Wes you have a PM :)

Wes
07-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Got it, returned PM

NeilM
08-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Are there any other southern Albertans in here? (Other than my dad who is a registered TT member)

Yep - I'm in Calgary - just got back from 3 weeks at Mabel Lake (east of Enderby BC). Great lake, but the campground left a lot to be desired.

We do Ghost Lake when we don't have the time to travel far (eg. after work) or Travers Reservoir. Haven't been to Pine Coulee yet - looks pretty narrow -- any comments?

FLYINGDUTCHMENN
08-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Are You Dutch? Your First And Last Name Are Dutch.

Pieter

HarleyMaster
08-16-2006, 08:14 PM
We run our 2006 X7 at Chestermere 80% and at cabin in Shuswap 20%. Great to see so many MC owners in BC and Alberta.

thijs
10-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Are You Dutch? Your First And Last Name Are Dutch.

My dad was born in the Hague, I was born here.

We run our 2006 X7 at Chestermere 80% and at cabin in Shuswap 20%. Great to see so many MC owners in BC and Alberta.

Tried the PS205 on the Shuswap Labour day long weekend. All i could do was hope she wasnt going to sink with the 3' boat chop. Figured out really quickly how much of a flat water boat she really is. If I wasnt taking bow shots I was rattling my teeth loose!! :( Oh well there really is no use to be on the lake when it is not glass)

kidshanko
11-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Reg from Lethbridge
Bert, I think we met this summer behind richards 1991 PS
excellent day

thijs
01-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Any of you Calgary guys going to be at the Martin Motorsports MasterCraft grand-opening tonight???

Anyone else know if any of the MC bigwigs make it down for these grandopenings? Maybe I can get one to take me home with them! (Water is still frozen here for at least another three months.)

gr82bgreen
09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey, old thread here. must be more of us since 2007. I live in Calgary and have a 95 maristar. We boat at Little bow mostly. Spent 2 weeks at koocanusa on the USA side this summer.

shunra
09-21-2011, 06:49 PM

skierdan
09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Howdy fellas, I am in Calgary as well, 1994 PS 205 LT1, have a place on gull lake only 1.5 hrs away. Not as nice as BC but easy to get to.

pram
09-21-2011, 08:46 PM
HOLY MACARONI That's a lot of Albertans

BrianT
09-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Calgary as well for me. And no kidding there is a lot of Albertans here!!!

scott023
09-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Sylvan Lake Ab. Smack dab in the middle of Calgary and Edmonton.

Shooter McKevin
09-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Any one else thinking that Sunday will be their last day on the lake?

(Not bad since Labour Day is often the end for me.)

scott023
09-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Any one else thinking that Sunday will be their last day on the lake?

(Not bad since Labour Day is often the end for me.)

I'm winterizing tomorrow. Appointment made for that and interior detailing along with getting the RestorFXing the hull.

Shooter McKevin
09-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Sad times.

I was planning to winterize on Sunday but they are forecasting 27 degrees (C). Nice weather to work on the boat, but I'd rather be on the water.

scott023
09-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Sad times.

I was planning to winterize on Sunday but they are forecasting 27 degrees (C). Nice weather to work on the boat, but I'd rather be on the water.

Good call. Fortunately, if time permits, there are other boats I can go out on. :D

gr82bgreen
09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Sad times.

Forecast is 31 C for Little bow this sat. That will be my last day. Did summer ever really start this year? Where was this weather in june and july.

scott023
09-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Forecast is 31 C for Little bow this sat. That will be my last day. Did summer ever really start this year? Where was this weather in june and july.

This has been the case the last two years it seems. Summer comes the middle of August and stays through September.

gr82bgreen
09-22-2011, 02:51 PM
This has been the case the last two years it seems. Summer comes the middle of August and stays through September.

Global warming???? Well I guess it will be less busy. (maybe)

scott023
09-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Global warming???? Well I guess it will be less busy. (maybe)

I sure it will be pretty quiet. Only the die hards will be out this weekend.

BrianT
09-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Was looking to go tomorrow, but they are calling for 35km winds...white cap wind!!

gr82bgreen
09-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Was looking to go tomorrow, but they are calling for 35km winds...white cap wind!!

Sat 15km. Do you go to little bow. what's your boat.

BrianT
09-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I do go to LB, If you check the tow rig section a page or two back you can see my vehicle and boat. Probably seen it around.

gr82bgreen
09-22-2011, 05:25 PM
I do go to LB, If you check the tow rig section a page or two back you can see my vehicle and boat. Probably seen it around.

Saw you there about a month or so ago on a saturday. I was admiring your boat. Very sharp.

OneMoreSet
09-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Hey Guys - good to see so many locals !!

I'm Calgary, usually goto Ghost on weeknights.
Hopefully getting out on Sat afternoon to Ghost - I'm sure it shouldnt be too busy, only the diehards left with 50o water :) Praying for no wind!

I am usually open incase anyone is looking for a 3rd. Hopefully i'll be back up and running with a rig in the spring.

Cheers,

BrianT
09-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Saw you there about a month or so ago on a saturday. I was admiring your boat. Very sharp.

Yup, it was awesome that day, and thanks for the complement. Got the seats all pulled out right now. I'm getting them all redone over the winter. I'm going with the pearl carbon fibre style on all the seat bases and backs. Know anyone good in Calgary? I have a place in mind but am open to all suggestions.

gr82bgreen
09-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Yup, it was awesome that day, and thanks for the complement. Got the seats all pulled out right now. I'm getting them all redone over the winter. I'm going with the pearl carbon fibre style on all the seat bases and backs. Know anyone good in Calgary? I have a place in mind but am open to all suggestions.

I have not used anyone yet, but I need some vinyl work done as well. Let me know if you find someone good.

BrianT
09-22-2011, 07:06 PM
I have been talking with CR Techniques, they also run Chinook Upholstery. Probably going to use them. They say bring in the work in Dec/Jan when they are slow for a better deal. Gotta like that!! They fixed up my boat cover and did a great job for a decent price.

BrianT
09-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Hey Guys - good to see so many locals !!

I'm Calgary, usually goto Ghost on weeknights.
Hopefully getting out on Sat afternoon to Ghost - I'm sure it shouldnt be too busy, only the diehards left with 50o water :) Praying for no wind!

I am usually open incase anyone is looking for a 3rd. Hopefully i'll be back up and running with a rig in the spring.

Cheers,

Good to know for next season. We were out at Ghost a couple weekends ago and holy hell is that cold...... it was really nice out but that water.... My kids tried several times but just couldn't stay in.

BrianT
09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Went to Little Bow today, wow was it windy... white cap windy. Found a little bay that wsn't bad and surfed for quite a while. Last time out this year.....

gr82bgreen
09-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Went to Little Bow today, wow was it windy... white cap windy. Found a little bay that wsn't bad and surfed for quite a while. Last time out this year.....

How cold was the water. We are headed there tomorrow.

BrianT
09-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Water wasn't that bad. But be careful at the boat launch. The water is really low and my buddy dropped his trailer tires over the back edge. He had a tough time getting out.

gr82bgreen
09-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Water wasn't that bad. But be careful at the boat launch. The water is really low and my buddy dropped his trailer tires over the back edge. He had a tough time getting out.

Thanks for the heads up.

BrianT
09-25-2011, 11:34 PM
How was Little Bow gr82bgreen??

gr82bgreen
09-26-2011, 05:02 PM
How was Little Bow gr82bgreen??

Weather was warm. 32 C. a little windy but not that bad. water was a bit cold. bent a rim getting the boat out. no other damage though. Huge rocks at the end of both ramps. Lots of people having huge problems with the ramps. I would not launch it again in water that low. Drained the oil when I got home. Will winterize this week. Till next year, all the best.

Shooter McKevin
09-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Was that at the main boat launch at the provincial campground?

We started heading to the lake on Sunday but were getting blown around on the highway. I decided it would not be a good day on the water and turned around. I made the right call cause it only got windier as the day went on. It would have really sucked if the wind died down and we missed out on a spectacular day.

BrianT
09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Weather was warm. 32 C. a little windy but not that bad. water was a bit cold. bent a rim getting the boat out. no other damage though. Huge rocks at the end of both ramps. Lots of people having huge problems with the ramps. I would not launch it again in water that low. Drained the oil when I got home. Will winterize this week. Till next year, all the best.

Taking mine to Rayburns on Friday to get it ready for the winter. Another guy I know was out on Saturday and he said the lauch was an interesting place to be......

gr82bgreen
09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Was that at the main boat launch at the provincial campground?

We started heading to the lake on Sunday but were getting blown around on the highway. I decided it would not be a good day on the water and turned around. I made the right call cause it only got windier as the day went on. It would have really sucked if the wind died down and we missed out on a spectacular day.

Yes the prov campground. The entire ramps were out of the water. had to launch entirely in the lake. lots of rocks. As I was leaving a minvan was deciding weather or not to launch a I/O. I suggested he would be in trouble.

gr82bgreen
09-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Taking mine to Rayburns on Friday to get it ready for the winter. Another guy I know was out on Saturday and he said the lauch was an interesting place to be......

Indeed. Was it that low on friday. I know you warned me, but the entire ramp was out of the water.

OneMoreSet
09-26-2011, 06:47 PM
I was at Ghost on Saturday.

Got windier mid afternoon (its Ghost... no shocker there), but then calmed down around 4 and boats started thinning out.

Was nice for a late season warm day. Water was brrrr 56o - not too bad with a full suit.

I suspect from now on it will be very empty as everyone I talked to was winterizing. That was the main reason we winterized ourself to get the end of season riding!

Lake level at Ghost was pretty close to highs of the year, havent drained it down much at all yet.

Shooter McKevin
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I have been talking with CR Techniques, they also run Chinook Upholstery. Probably going to use them. They say bring in the work in Dec/Jan when they are slow for a better deal. Gotta like that!! They fixed up my boat cover and did a great job for a decent price.

We use them for our truck fleet. They do good work. The leather seat in my Yukon wore through in a couple of spots. He came by the office in the morning and took the seat out and brought it to their shop. Brought it back that afternoon with some new leather sewn in. I couldn't even tell he did any work to it, except the hole was gone. Like some kind of magic eraser.

BrianT
09-28-2011, 06:33 PM
We use them for our truck fleet. They do good work. The leather seat in my Yukon wore through in a couple of spots. He came by the office in the morning and took the seat out and brought it to their shop. Brought it back that afternoon with some new leather sewn in. I couldn't even tell he did any work to it, except the hole was gone. Like some kind of magic eraser.

Good to know someone else has used them.

Nick911
09-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Anyone here have or have had any dealings with Hyperactive Watersports out of Calgary?

Thoughts, as a dealer, good or bad?
RZ2 by Tige vs. MC X25 for the same money, which is better?

(I normally wouldn't ask but I cant stand the new MC towers)

BrianT
09-28-2011, 11:10 PM
From what I know the Tige is a heavy boat, good for surfing... But as much as I don't like the new MC towers I think I dislike the Tige towers even more. As far as dealing with Hyperactive, I've bought stuff from them and they seem ok. They have a way better selection of accessories then Martin. I find Martin carries nothing in terms of accessories or toys. JMHO

tuchodi51
09-29-2011, 12:17 AM
I bought an 08 X2 this august and looked at the tige too.Could of gotten a brand new tige for not much more than the MC but the fit and finish just wasn't there.Seen lots of old MC's running around that still look great.They seem to hold up better than most.

OneMoreSet
09-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Nick -

I'd personally take the x25 over the rz2. I've owned a tige before (a 2001 direct drive however), and enjoyed it, but looking at the two youre comparing I think there's a pretty big difference in materials and "feel", in favour of x25.

I have used both dealers in the past, good and not so good with each.
I think Hyperactive is getting better in the boat/service area.
Martin is still relatively new in Calgary anyways on the service side.

I personally think tige is coming a long way but interiors still have something to be desired somehow.
I hear its a great surf hull, and hull for wake is also decent.

Cheers

Shooter McKevin
09-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Anyone here have or have had any dealings with Hyperactive Watersports out of Calgary?

Thoughts, as a dealer, good or bad?
RZ2 by Tige vs. MC X25 for the same money, which is better?

(I normally wouldn't ask but I cant stand the new MC towers)

Hey Nick,

It sounds like you have a couple of sweet test drives to look forward to all winter, and will be spending a lot of time in 2 specific boats at the boat show (unless you are planning on buying now?)

Are you looking at new? Are they really the same price?

I thought Tige was a notch below. The X25 gave me serious wood at last year's boat show.

Nick911
09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey Nick,

It sounds like you have a couple of sweet test drives to look forward to all winter, and will be spending a lot of time in 2 specific boats at the boat show (unless you are planning on buying now?)

Are you looking at new? Are they really the same price?

I thought Tige was a notch below. The X25 gave me serious wood at last year's boat show.

Yeah they are about the same price. I have no doubt the 25 is a better boat but just ain't feeling the tower. We are looking at new as I am hoping to get a few good years out of this boat. I need to order soon as I'm told if I wait til the boat show to order I'll have to wait til mid-July for the MC.

Also, am now looking at the 230 Super Air Nautique and possibly Enzo Centurion 230. Anyone had any dealings with Wizard Lake Marine out of Calmar, AB?

BrianT
09-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I have a friend who has dealt with Wizard for many years. The problem he has is the driving he has to do for any servicing, Calmar is a fair hike from Calgary one way.... Just a thought, would MC put the older tower on the new boat? Is it an option or have they discontinued the Zero Flex?

Shooter McKevin
09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Wizard - I talked to the people at Wizard about a couple of used Malibu's back when I was in the market. They were great guys to talk to. Haven't heard anything else (except the lake was closed this summer due to something nasty growing in it)

Martin - One really bad experience with Martin servicing my boat means I hope to never go back there. I have to say that the service manager did the best she could (by giving me all of my money back) but the emotional scars are still healing.

Hyperactive - I have only bought merchandise there but they seem like great people. If I have my facts straight, they farm out their maintenance to Absolute Watersports across the alley. I'm pretty sure a dude named Jeff started Absolute Watersports a couple of years ago. He used to be the service manager for Mobius Marine before they sold to True North. Then he started his own gig with Absolute. Absolute is the Centurion dealer so you will probably talk to him about the Enzo. He seems like a good guy, he always remembers my kids at the boat show. I dropped by there for an impeller last spring and he didn't ask any stupid questions. I said "indmar LTR" he tossed me the impeller.

Nick911
11-12-2011, 06:17 PM
What's the best boating place in the Calgary area, say, within 1 hour?

Nick911
12-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Might be buying on Chestermere Lake. Anyone have any experience on this lake?

skierdan
12-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Chestermere is a slough, way too small and way too busy. Gull Lake is 90 min north of Calgary. Clean, no itch, and lot prices are much more reasonable than Sylvan lake. I have an RV lot there and love it.

Ghost and Glennifer are just dammed rivers. colder and are full of logs.

Nick911
12-18-2011, 12:43 PM
This would be a permanent residence and I would have to be close to downtown Calgary. I'm thinking it would be my best option. Was on MLS yesterday and there are some nice homes with dock and lift in backyard...

scott023
12-18-2011, 03:34 PM
This would be a permanent residence and I would have to be close to downtown Calgary. I'm thinking it would be my best option. Was on MLS yesterday and there are some nice homes with dock and lift in backyard...

Chestermere isn't an enjoyAble lake, IMO.

Nick911
12-18-2011, 04:35 PM
That being said, I would be living on a lake. Better living on a crappy lake than not living on a lake. As I said, would have to commute daily to downtown Calgary. These homes are about 25 minutes away as per the realtor.

Millertime
12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I've only boated on Chestermere lake early spring, week nights. And it was great, not many boats, the weeds weren't too bad. That being said its crazy busy on weekends in the summer, and weeds get bad late summer. But if you live there you can pick and choose when you want to go out. watch which side of the bridge the house is on, low bridge. but if you have the power tower no worries there.

EA2010
12-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I test drove a Tige boat on Chestermere in September. It was nicer than I thought it would be. The water apparently replenishes itself every few days - so yes it is cold, but not a typical slough.

It's the only option in Calgary if you want "lake front." Well, there is also Ghost Dam, but that would be an hour's drive to downtown ...

Nick911
12-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks all for input. The fact I can live on lake will certainly factor into the decision.

scott023
12-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks all for input. The fact I can live on lake will certainly factor into the decision.

No doubt, that would be beyond spectacular.

Shooter McKevin
12-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi Nick,

Where are you moving from?

Chestermere is the only option for living lakefront (on a boating lake) and commuting downtown. I live just East of there and the commute is quite good compared to driving in from N,S,or W of the City. I've never skied there but a lot of people do so the water can't be that disgusting... I have noticed that even on the 30+ degree days, you don't ever see anyone going for a swim...

There's a couple of MC's on lifts there, hopefully one of those guys come on and give you some first hand experience. It's a good community and in that price range, it would be very high on my list of locations to consider.

Like Millertime said, I think South of the causeway is an advantage, maybe a necessity. I've always felt like the East side of the lake, as far South as possible would be ideal as it is quieter and away from the highway. West side would have a great sunrise over the lake though.

They have weed cutting barges that cruise around in the summer. It doesn't seem like they keep up very well but I'd hate to see what would happen if they stopped. The cut weeds wash up on shore and it is the homeowners responsibility to move the weeds from shore to the front street so the town can pick them up. I've seen some pretty huge weed piles. I'd imagine some smart dude offers his services to haul your weeds for you.

Again, hopefully someone who knows first hand can help you out. If you look at a place, you should talk to a neighbor to get their input (and a good excuse to scope out the neighbors)

BrianT
12-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Shooter, I live just east of Chestermere as well....I'm in Boulder Creek.

Shooter McKevin
12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Sweet. I'm on Railway Ave.:toast:

There's another MC in Langdon of our vintage on 4th street kinda by the new school. Looks like a 2001 X-Star. He's about 3/4 done building a huge detached shop :jealous:.

Nick911
12-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Fort Mac, small chance, I'd prefer to stay up here.

scott023
12-21-2011, 02:17 AM

Nick, I thought you were southern Alberta too. Glad you cleared that up for us.

wheelerd
12-21-2011, 03:00 AM
I'm in Red Deer, so mostly hit Sylvan (prefer the NW end) and Gull. Pine Lake is actually the closest to me but it can be a zoo on a busy day because it's narrow and also the algae gets bad by mid summer.

scott023
12-21-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm in Red Deer, so mostly hit Sylvan (prefer the NW end) and Gull. Pine Lake is actually the closest to me but it can be a zoo on a busy day because it's narrow and also the algae gets bad by mid summer.

Post up some pics of your boat, I'll watch for you next summer. :D

wheelerd
12-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Here's my X5. I have 11 year old twin boys who are learning to ski and wakeboard. I mostly ski. My wife is becoming a good driver. :cool:
(Scott, where are you? Maybe you posted it somewhere above and I missed it.)

scott023
12-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Here's my X5. I have 11 year old twin boys who are learning to ski and wakeboard. I mostly ski. My wife is becoming a good driver. :cool:
(Scott, where are you? Maybe you posted it somewhere above and I missed it.)

I live in Sylvan Lake. We're practically neighbors.:D

wheelerd
12-21-2011, 10:00 PM
I live in Sylvan Lake. We're practically neighbors.:D

Cool. What's your ride? Maybe I've seen you.

EA2010
12-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Anyone ever get out to Pigeon Lake? Gull Lake? Buck Lake? Glennifer? Newell? Little Bow?

From Calgary, the predominant places I hear people go to (day trips) are Sylvan and Little Bow ...

wheelerd
12-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Pigeon is popular with Edmonton people, although this summer it had a bad case of blue-green algae so many campgrounds were closed.
We like the Lakeview provincial park at Gull so camp and boat there often. There is a nice bay on the west side about 1/2 mile north of the campground that usually has fairly calm water (since that is the sheltered side from the prevailing W winds) and just far enough from the wallys who frequent the day-use park at the south end. Water levels have been high lately but there is a long reef extending out from a point that can rip off your running gear if you're not careful. The day-use park has a nice double launch but it's a zoo on weekends. The provincial park has both a single launch (at Lakeview) and a double launch (at Brewer.) Gull is big enough that you can almost always find a place of your own to ski or board without someone else's rollers or without threading the needle between toobers and jetskis.

Millertime
12-22-2011, 12:51 AM
We go out to Little Bow for some day trips and some weekends, we really like it out there. Water's really clean. Usually we can avoid the traffic and find good water as long as the winds not blowing. We had property at the resort there a few years back and spent every weekend there. We also go to Ghost alot, 30min and the boats wet, as long as the launch isn't too busy. Ghost is beautiful but cold as hell.

scott023
12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Cool. What's your ride? Maybe I've seen you.

This is her.

wheelerd
12-22-2011, 12:15 PM
That's one serious wake-maker.:D Dandy color scheme.

BrianT
12-22-2011, 12:48 PM

There's another MC in Langdon of our vintage on 4th street kinda by the new school. Looks like a 2001 X-Star. He's about 3/4 done building a huge detached shop :jealous:.

No kidding!! Where do you ride? We go to Little Bow like most people in our area but also we go to Chestermere. 15 min and I can be on the water. I know lots of people b!tch about Chestermere but I find anyone who does doesn't own a boat......Where do you have yours parked for the winter?

Shooter McKevin
12-22-2011, 01:39 PM
No kidding!! Where do you ride? We go to Little Bow like most people in our area but also we go to Chestermere. 15 min and I can be on the water. I know lots of people b!tch about Chestermere but I find anyone who does doesn't own a boat......Where do you have yours parked for the winter?

Keep her parked in the yard in the "boat house"

I just searched the iphone to see if I had a pic and found this one I snapped and haven't looked at since. I'm glad I found it. It tells a lot about my spring '11. Trying to finish landscaping, trying to keep my "helpers" occupied while working, and trying get out on the boat as much as possible.

The wind storm a couple weeks ago did a number on the boat house. It is in need of a little repair now. Wish I had the dough to build a garage instead.

Shooter McKevin
12-22-2011, 02:25 PM
We usually go to McGreggor. I'm tempted to go back to Chestermere just because it is so close, but the 1 time I've been there left me a little bitter.

I went there for my maiden voyage on my new to me MC. I pulled the boat off the trailer and the D.B. mechanic from Martin used the wrong fittings to re-attach the shower lines (I had them do a service and fix up a couple of things after I bought it). Water was filling the boat fast so I pulled back on the trailer. I needed to replace the fittings, so that was the end of my maiden voyage. Then... the girls in the shack refused to refund my $40 launch fee. I was soooooo irate.
:rant:
I got even more irate when I got home to figure out the water leaks and noticed the whole right bank of plug wires hanging in the motor box DETACHED FROM THE PLUGS. It ran surprisingly good on 4 cylinders. The water lines told me the mechanic didn't even run the boat after he did the work, and the plug wires told me he was just 100% incompetent. Like I said in a previous post, the service manager agreed with my position and gave me all of my money back. And supposedly that dude doesn't work there anymore. I will now do all of the work on my boat myself (provided I can figure it out).

:rant over:

Long story short, I may give Chestermere another shot some day.

scott023
12-22-2011, 02:56 PM
That's one serious wake-maker.:D Dandy color scheme.

Thank you sir. :tiphat:

BrianT
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
We usually go to McGreggor. I'm tempted to go back to Chestermere just because it is so close, but the 1 time I've been there left me a little bitter.

I went there for my maiden voyage on my new to me MC. I pulled the boat off the trailer and the D.B. mechanic from Martin used the wrong fittings to re-attach the shower lines (I had them do a service and fix up a couple of things after I bought it). Water was filling the boat fast so I pulled back on the trailer. I needed to replace the fittings, so that was the end of my maiden voyage. Then... the girls in the shack refused to refund my $40 launch fee. I was soooooo irate.
:rant:
I got even more irate when I got home to figure out the water leaks and noticed the whole right bank of plug wires hanging in the motor box DETACHED FROM THE PLUGS. It ran surprisingly good on 4 cylinders. The water lines told me the mechanic didn't even run the boat after he did the work, and the plug wires told me he was just 100% incompetent. Like I said in a previous post, the service manager agreed with my position and gave me all of my money back. And supposedly that dude doesn't work there anymore. I will now do all of the work on my boat myself (provided I can figure it out).

:rant over:

Long story short, I may give Chestermere another shot some day.

MMS should have used their free launch over on the east side at the "Landing" parking lot...You shouldn't have had to pay to launch. You will have to give it another try next season, it's not that bad and as I said, 15 mins or so and your riding. It's the $40 that sucks though.

EA2010
12-22-2011, 04:53 PM
We go out to Little Bow for some day trips and some weekends, we really like it out there. Water's really clean.

How many boat launches at Little Bow? I've never been there before but everyone says the same thing. Does it get super busy or is it totally chill?

Is there any place to stay the night (aside from camping)?

BrianT
12-22-2011, 06:00 PM
How many boat launches at Little Bow? I've never been there before but everyone says the same thing. Does it get super busy or is it totally chill?

Is there any place to stay the night (aside from camping)?

2 launches and yes it gets a little busy. And only camping available, no hotels or anything like that. Great place to spend a day. The lake is real big.

wheelerd
12-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Then... the girls in the shack refused to refund my $40 launch fee. I was soooooo irate.
:rant:.

Chestermere is $40 now? Sylvan Marina is $20 and I thought that was robbery. (I never launch there though. There are a couple other free spots.)

skierdan
12-22-2011, 10:26 PM
I am at Degraffs RV resort on Gull lake. gated community, I own the lot, and private boat launch. I like it because it is located in the deepest area of the lake, and close to the sandbar for swimming and just hanging out.

There are still lakefront lots for sale, pm me if anyone is interested :)

scott023
12-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Chestermere is $40 now? Sylvan Marina is $20 and I thought that was robbery. (I never launch there though. There are a couple other free spots.)

Throw it in the marina... save the lauching for vacations. ;):D

shepherd
12-23-2011, 11:20 AM
This is her.

Scott, I've never seen your boat before. She's a beauty!

wheelerd
12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Throw it in the marina... save the lauching for vacations. ;):D

How much is a slip there these days? Last year a buddy from Sylvan told me there was a waiting list --- mostly Calgary guys.8p Also, I don't think you can have a lift there, correct.
A colleague used to own a place in Marina Bay. Now that was a good deal. He had a sail boat.
We typically launch at Half Moon Bay or Sunbreaker Cove; that's the end of the lake we like to hang out at anyway.

scott023
12-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Scott, I've never seen your boat before. She's a beauty!

Thank you sir.

Where did you see it?

scott023
12-23-2011, 11:52 AM
How much is a slip there these days? Last year a buddy from Sylvan told me there was a waiting list --- mostly Calgary guys.8p Also, I don't think you can have a lift there, correct.
A colleague used to own a place in Marina Bay. Now that was a good deal. He had a sail boat.
We typically launch at Half Moon Bay or Sunbreaker Cove; that's the end of the lake we like to hang out at anyway.

There's a waiting list for boats under 22ft... over that, and it's easier to get it. No lifts are allowed though, you are correct. We paid just over 1K last year. I know it's a lot, but sure make quick 1hr rips a lot easier. Now that we've experienced it, I wouldn't trade the convenience away.

shepherd
12-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Thank you sir.

Where did you see it?

Post #105?

scott023
12-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Post #105?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. A wiseguy, eh? :D

wheelerd
12-23-2011, 02:09 PM
There's a waiting list for boats under 22ft... over that, and it's easier to get it. No lifts are allowed though, you are correct. We paid just over 1K last year. I know it's a lot, but sure make quick 1hr rips a lot easier. Now that we've experienced it, I wouldn't trade the convenience away.

Got it. I'll just wait until my boat grows another 2' . . . or maybe just buy a new X Star!;)

scott023
12-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Got it. I'll just wait until my boat grows another 2' . . . or maybe just buy a new X Star!;)

Good idea. :D

shepherd
12-23-2011, 02:31 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. A wiseguy, eh? :D

Not at all, I was serious (for a change ;))

scott023
12-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Not at all, I was serious (for a change ;))

How was Christmas Shep?

JulioX2
12-26-2011, 08:02 PM

Nick, how long have you been up there? I was there for quite a few years.

Nick911
12-26-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm from here.

CiscoStu
12-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Hey! I'm in Langdon too - West side, on Barber Street. Boat's only at my place for 2 weeks in spring to clean her up, and 2 weeks in fall to put her away. A buddy of mine on McKinnon also owns an X-Star and a PS190.

Small world...! Langdon must be the Mastercraft capital of Alberta.

shepherd
12-27-2011, 01:57 PM
How was Christmas Shep?

Cloudy, but warm. I got a new belt and a MC T-shirt. How 'bout you? White Christmas?

BrianT
12-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Hey! I'm in Langdon too - West side, on Barber Street. Boat's only at my place for 2 weeks in spring to clean her up, and 2 weeks in fall to put her away. A buddy of mine on McKinnon also owns an X-Star and a PS190.

Holy crap!!! We all need a GTG in the spring!! Someone has a X2 north on the 797 about 3/4 of the way to the #1 highway... Wonder if he is a member here...

Yeah your talking about CB right?

CiscoStu
12-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Yep, that's him...

Shooter McKevin
01-03-2012, 12:55 PM

No kidding. 7 MC's that we know of out of 2500 people. That's a pretty high MC per capita for a non-lake community.

Shooter McKevin
01-03-2012, 12:58 PM
This is her.

Nice ride Scott,

I feel like I've never seen a picture before either.

scott023
01-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Nice ride Scott,

I feel like I've never seen a picture before either.

Can't wait for spring...

gr82bgreen
01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Hey guys, I am trying to plan next summers holiday. Looking for some ideas where to go. Spent 2 weeks last summer at Kooanusa. 1 week at mariners haven near Rexford, 1 week at Kooanusa resort near Libby Mt. It has no cell coverge and has been banned by the wife. We have a motorhome, so we need a campsite. Cell coverage a must. A marina would be best. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

scott023
01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Hey guys, I am trying to plan next summers holiday. Looking for some ideas where to go. Spent 2 weeks last summer at Kooanusa. 1 week at mariners haven near Rexford, 1 week at Kooanusa resort near Libby Mt. It has no cell coverge and has been banned by the wife. We have a motorhome, so we need a campsite. Cell coverage a must. A marina would be best. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Where do you want to go? Lake Kalamalka is amazing...

Nick911
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Does Kal have a marina? I'm not sure. It is right in Vernon though so cell coverage is a given. I'd recommend Shuswap Lake or Lake Okanagan. Both beautiful lakes and IMO better than Koocanusa.

gr82bgreen
01-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Where do you want to go? Lake Kalamalka is amazing...

I am open to whatever, hows camping, which campground? How busy is it? We like the US and its is closer.

pram
01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
No Marina on Kal Lake

Kookanusa is a nice lake

gr82bgreen
01-09-2012, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=pram;809847]No Marina on Kal Lake

Kookanusa is a nice lake[/

How are the campsites on the Canadian side? Where do you boat Pram?

EA2010
01-09-2012, 09:49 PM
If you are thinking of Kal Lake, you can consider Wood Lake, which is connected to Kal Lake. There is a nice campground at Wood Lake with a marina: http://www.woodlakerv.com/

We are staying at Wood Lake all summer ... so maybe see you there!

gr82bgreen
01-09-2012, 10:59 PM
If you are thinking of Kal Lake, you can consider Wood Lake, which is connected to Kal Lake. There is a nice campground at Wood Lake with a marina: http://www.woodlakerv.com/

Looks real nice. Have you stayed there before? I will consider it.

scott023
01-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Kal and Wood are both great lakes from what I've heard. Haven't been on Wood, so I can't comment personally.

EA2010
01-10-2012, 11:06 AM
We have stayed at nearly every lake in the Shuswap / Okanagan. Wood Lake and Kal Lake are my faves for boating. Wood even has a wakeboard "park" with jumps, rails and ramps.

The best beach is Skaha Lake in Penticton.

I would avoid Lake Okanagan; it's too big and when the wind picks up it's nasty. Very little beach area as well.

You also can't go wrong with the Shuswap lakes.

gr82bgreen
01-10-2012, 02:11 PM
We have stayed at nearly every lake in the Shuswap / Okanagan. Wood Lake and Kal Lake are my faves for boating. Wood even has a wakeboard "park" with jumps, rails and ramps.

The best beach is Skaha Lake in Penticton.

I would avoid Lake Okanagan; it's too big and when the wind picks up it's nasty. Very little beach area as well.

You also can't go wrong with the Shuswap lakes.

Thanks so much. We have done shuswap as well. Hard to find good camping. Have you been to Osoyoos. heard good things as well.

pram
01-10-2012, 02:26 PM

If you have a tower on your boat, there is a good chance that you can't get through the channel. Keep that in mind

better to stay up in the Vernon end of Kal. Use the Kekuli Bay launch or the one right in Vernon

Wood has a dirt launch at the oyama end that isn't very good, small, tight space that people like to leave their trailers at :rolleyes:.

scott023
01-10-2012, 02:54 PM
If you have a tower on your boat, there is a good chance that you can't get through the channel. Keep that in mind

better to stay up in the Vernon end of Kal. Use the Kekuli Bay launch or the one right in Vernon

Wood has a dirt launch at the oyama end that isn't very good, small, tight space that people like to leave their trailers at :rolleyes:.

Pram, what say you about Kal? You're a big fan of it, right?

Shooter McKevin
01-10-2012, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=pram;809847]No Marina on Kal Lake

Kookanusa is a nice lake[/

How are the campsites on the Canadian side? Where do you boat Pram?

My friends did a trip to Surveyor's Lake last summer that I dropped out of at the last minute for work reasons (stupid jobs). I've still never stayed there but it looks awesome and they loved it. Surveyor's is on the Canadian side of Koocanusa. The provincial campground is on Surveyor's which is a non-boating lake but has a great beach for the kids to swim. The launch on Koocanusa is just down the road from the small lake and campground. I'm really excited to go there some time but it's not what you are looking for. Too rustic for your wife; no hookups, probably no cell service. I'm pretty sure there would be no mooring.

There's 1 other campground that I know of on Koocanusa Canada. It's also on the South side and looked pretty crappy when I drove through it. It's just a bare dusty piece of sloping lakefront land that people parked their trailers on. I have no desire to go there so it's not really worth mentioning, except to try to answer your question to the best of my knowledge.

gr82bgreen
01-10-2012, 04:58 PM
So there is no boat mooring anywhere on Kal?

pram
01-10-2012, 05:01 PM

I like to float on Kal, it's nice for sure.

pram
01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
So there is no boat mooring anywhere on Kal?

Not that I can think of.

Oh wait there is the campground Tweenlakes, but as far as I know there are no rentals there???? :confused: only seasonal?

EA2010
01-11-2012, 12:59 PM

Not true. Wood Lake has two paved launches on the SW shore - the Turtle Bay Marina and Wood Lake Resort. The latter is the better launch and the campground and marina is right there. Quite a good set up.

If you have a tower that can be lowered, cruising through the channel from Wood to Kal Lake is not a problem.

EA2010
01-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Here is the channel from Wood to Kal Lake ... water level is lower than normal (pic taken on Oct 31 2011):

EA2010
01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Here's the Marina at Wood Lake Resort ...

The second pic is of the campground in the distance. The Wood Lake Resort marina is right next to the Turtle Bay Marina. Both on the south shore of Wood Lake ...

EA2010
01-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks so much. We have done shuswap as well. Hard to find good camping. Have you been to Osoyoos. heard good things as well.

We have been to Osoyoos. Another great lake. Almost 'bathtub' temps in the water in August. There are several lake front-ish campgrounds there, but we haven't stayed there ...

You simply can't go wrong anywhere in the Okanagan.

gr82bgreen
01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Here's the Marina at Wood Lake Resort ...

The second pic is of the campground in the distance. The Wood Lake Resort marina is right next to the Turtle Bay Marina. Both on the south shore of Wood Lake ...

thanks again. how soon do I need to book a site. Do you boat mostly on wood or kal? Is it over crowded in august?

EA2010
01-11-2012, 02:07 PM
thanks again. how soon do I need to book a site. Do you boat mostly on wood or kal? Is it over crowded in august?

Not sure how soon you need to book a site. Maybe give them a call.

Wood and Kal (combined) are more than 21km long ... so, it doesn't get crowded. Each lake has something different to offer and they are both super deep.

Not sure there is a nicer looking body of water than Kal Lake.

GT500 MC
01-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Here is the channel from Wood to Kal Lake ... water level is lower than normal (pic taken on Oct 31 2011):

Water's down alright...that looks really shallow (or maybe just really clear). Should you be more concerned with hitting the prop than hitting the tower overhead??

G-Star
01-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Kekuli Bay has a very decent boat launch and full hookup camp-sites. Not sure if you're willing to pull your boat out every night and stay at a camp site, but if you are, it's an option...

pram
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
I have seen lots of people stuck under the train bridge

probably go through that channel 3-4 times per week

have hit my prop on several occasions

forgot about the southend as I don't ever go there

gr82bgreen
01-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Kekuli Bay has a very decent boat launch and full hookup camp-sites. Not sure if you're willing to pull your boat out every night and stay at a camp site, but if you are, it's an option...

Thanks, I will check into it.

gr82bgreen
01-11-2012, 11:00 PM

Their website says there are mooring buoys in the bay beyond the boat launch. Are these for day use or can they be overnight use?

Millertime
01-11-2012, 11:15 PM
There is also Owl's Nest Resort, we stayed there a few years ago. It's located on the southern end of Kal lake. It has a marina(not the greatest) and small camp sites but the lake defiantly made up for it.

G-Star
01-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Their website says there are mooring buoys in the bay beyond the boat launch. Are these for day use or can they be overnight use?

I'm not sure if you can use them for overnight or not. I'm not really sure you'd want to, either. For the time it takes, I'd probably put my boat on the trailer every night.

Anyways, it looks like there are only a few. You can see them in the Bing maps aerial view.

But, if you're looking for any places to stay on Kal, you can sometimes find cabins for rent; or there is the Ilahee Inn (http://www.illahee.com/) in the Vernon bay. They have buoys out front.

BrianT
01-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Good to know G-Star, might look into Ilahee Inn this summer.

gr82bgreen
01-12-2012, 01:07 AM
There is also Owl's Nest Resort, we stayed there a few years ago. It's located on the southern end of Kal lake. It has a marina(not the greatest) and small camp sites but the lake defiantly made up for it.

How are the campsites, how much do they charge for the sites and the moorage, Thanks

scott023
01-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Not sure how soon you need to book a site. Maybe give them a call.

Wood and Kal (combined) are more than 21km long ... so, it doesn't get crowded. Each lake has something different to offer and they are both super deep.

Not sure there is a nicer looking body of water than Kal Lake.

Ahhh, the memories.

pram
01-12-2012, 02:47 PM
you have memories of Kal Lake?

scott023
01-12-2012, 03:52 PM
you have memories of Kal Lake?

Yah, had some great pulls on there last summer.

Millertime
01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
How are the campsites, how much do they charge for the sites and the moorage, Thanks

Can't remember what the fees were, and I looked online doesn't appear they have a website. From what I remember it was well treed but the sites were tiny. We usually tent so didn't bother us, also when we were there, no fire pits in camp site. It has a few downfalls but when we were looking for a campsite there wasen't much to choose from with a marina.

G-Star
01-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Yah, had some great pulls on there last summer.

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for your boat on the lake. I've probably seen a lot of TT members float by and not even realized it...

scott023
01-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm going to have to keep an eye out for your boat on the lake. I've probably seen a lot of TT members float by and not even realized it...

Think mine is decently hard to miss. I'll keep an eye out for your boat as well.

pram
01-13-2012, 03:03 PM
You coming to the Okanagan this year again Scott?

scott023
01-16-2012, 12:01 PM
You coming to the Okanagan this year again Scott?

I don't know... think we might try Christina lake this year. Still haven't decided.

Nick911
01-16-2012, 12:12 PM
I'll be bombing around the Eagle Bay area of Shuswap Lake for 6 weeks this summer. Either be boarding, surfing, or downrigging for lake trout.

Anyone else hang in this area?

pram
01-16-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't know... think we might try Christina lake this year. Still haven't decided.

ah ah ah ah ah

scott023
01-16-2012, 01:48 PM
ah ah ah ah ah

I thought we talked to you about this already?

BrianT
01-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Welcome to winter in Alberta!!!! Hopefully it's gonna be a short spell!

scott023
01-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Welcome to winter in Alberta!!!! Hopefully it's gonna be a short spell!

BAAAAAAAAM. And it hits you. :D

BrianT
01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Oh well..... we do live in Alberta and the weather can change over night good or bad..., Boat show in Calgary is the weekend of February 9th.

Shooter McKevin
02-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Hey Brian,

I noticed a for sale sign on Rayburns. Do you know if they shut it down? Or moved? The website doesn't say anything.

BrianT
02-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Hey Brian,

I noticed a for sale sign on Rayburns. Do you know if they shut it down? Or moved? The website doesn't say anything.

I don't get to the nor east very often so I'm not really sure. They aren't really a strong dealer from what I know of them.

BrianT
02-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Sorry for the 11 day late post.....

scott023
02-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I heard they shut down.

BrianT
02-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Just spoke to someone at Rayburn's, still alive and kicking. They say they have even expanded to the RV place next door. So business must be ok.

scott023
02-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Just spoke to someone at Rayburn's, still alive and kicking. They say they have even expanded to the RV place next door. So business must be ok.

Good to know. Obviously the rumors out this way were wrong.

giantjoe
05-27-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm trying to compile a list of lakes adjacent to Calgary. We just bought an X-5 and have little ones, so trying to find a lake close to home is important when we need our slalom fix...

Chestermere - Close, busy, expensive.
Ghost - Close, cold, windy.
Glenniffer - Close-ish, not warm, windy?
Pine Coulee - I have little info (not far, good ski, perhaps cold...)
Twin Valley - (no info)
Little Bow/Travers - Lovely, far, susceptible to wind and wallys

Am I missing anything?

wheelerd
05-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Congrats on the purchase. Post some pics. Our previous boat was an X5.
I'm from Red Deer where we're fortunate to have 4 or 5 lakes within 30 - 45 min.
I don't go to Glennifer often but yes, it can be exposed. Coolish too because it's run-off from the mountains . . but no as cold as Ghost.

giantjoe
05-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Here's a few. I haven't got any full shots on the water yet...

scott023
05-27-2014, 04:22 PM
What kind of distances are you willing to travel?

giantjoe
05-27-2014, 04:31 PM
One hour from the north side is my goal distance, but am willing to stretch it for the right circumstance. We head out to Kalispell area for actual lake vacation time.

wheelerd
05-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Nice looking boat. Looks like you have a fine crew also to make lots of memories with.
Judging from the tower it's a 2000 yes?
I've never seen a swing-up tongue before!

giantjoe
05-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Yep, 2000. The swing up tongue is weird. I've never seen one either. Did I miss any lakes?

rtw_travel
05-28-2014, 01:03 AM
We head out to Kalispell area for actual lake vacation time.

What are whitefish and flathead like for water temp, boat traffic, & cottaging? We're still on the the long term hunt for a cottage/cabin 'near' Calgary. Okanagan is about as far as I'd want to go. Invermere is too crowded. Whitefish is closer and has the nearby ski hill but we have not been there yet.

giantjoe
05-28-2014, 01:33 AM
Flathead is the ocean, but I've heard there are a lot of coves. Haven't been to Whitefish Lake. The water is definitely warmer than here. Foys, Ashley, Blaine, there a quite a few around there. It's nice down there but the Montana people are slightly adverse to Canadians...

scott023
05-28-2014, 02:36 AM
Flathead is the ocean, but I've heard there are a lot of coves. Haven't been to Whitefish Lake. The water is definitely warmer than here. Foys, Ashley, Blaine, there a quite a few around there. It's nice down there but the Montana people are slightly adverse to Canadians...

Really?? We're down there twice a year, at least, and I've never noticed that.

Ironhorse
05-28-2014, 09:06 AM

Take a look at Moyie Lake just west of Cranbrook.

giantjoe
05-28-2014, 09:55 AM
The lake we go to is like that.

scott023
05-28-2014, 12:30 PM
The lake we go to is like that.

That's weird. We have always found the people there to be very friendly.

Aric'sX15
05-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Come on down to texas, we love us some canadians eh! Haha.

rtw_travel
05-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Take a look at Moyie Lake just west of Cranbrook.

Haven't been there yet, but I've added it to the list of lakes to look at. The nice thing about Moyie appears to be that it is an easy drive to Fernie for skiiing. Anyone looked on Kookanusa around Kikomun Park?

My ideal lake would be 100+' of good waterfront within half hour drive of skiing in winter and golfing in summer. The lake should be not too crowded, bigger than a ski course, and smaller than an ocean - bonus points if there are occasionally good winds for windsurfing/ kiteboarding. My wife would like to be within 30-45 minutes of a major town, and have some sense of community on the lake. She also likes cruising on the boat for half a a day, so that determines the lake size too. It would be nice if it was also within 5 hours of Calgary, but that's really for the convenience of my older kids: I hope to retire within a few years so won't have the time pressure of needing to get there and back on a weekend.

So far, I've got Whitefish/ Flathead and other smaller lakes in Montana, Moyie and Koocanusa around Fernie, and then Shuswap, Mabel Lake, Okanagan and Kalamalka in the Okanagan. I've seen a few small lakes on google maps around Waterton. I recognize not all lakes fit all criteria.

Comments anyone?

giantjoe
05-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Lakes around Waterton are COLD! Kalispell is around 6 hours away, and I'm not sure I'd classify it as a city. It's nice water there though.

wilsonck
05-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Haven't been there yet, but I've added it to the list of lakes to look at. The nice thing about Moyie appears to be that it is an easy drive to Fernie for skiiing. Anyone looked on Kookanusa around Kikomun Park?

My ideal lake would be 100+' of good waterfront within half hour drive of skiing in winter and golfing in summer. The lake should be not too crowded, bigger than a ski course, and smaller than an ocean - bonus points if there are occasionally good winds for windsurfing/ kiteboarding. My wife would like to be within 30-45 minutes of a major town, and have some sense of community on the lake. She also likes cruising on the boat for half a a day, so that determines the lake size too. It would be nice if it was also within 5 hours of Calgary, but that's really for the convenience of my older kids: I hope to retire within a few years so won't have the time pressure of needing to get there and back on a weekend.

So far, I've got Whitefish/ Flathead and other smaller lakes in Montana, Moyie and Koocanusa around Fernie, and then Shuswap, Mabel Lake, Okanagan and Kalamalka in the Okanagan. I've seen a few small lakes on google maps around Waterton. I recognize not all lakes fit all criteria.

Comments anyone?

well, you have it about nailed there with the lakes you listed and your criteria.

G-Star
05-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Comments anyone?

Sometimes stuff comes up on the south side of Cosens Bay on Kalamalka and doesn't show up properly on the MLS map. Just something to be aware of.

http://www.remax.ca/bc/vernon--british-columbia-real-estate/na-5909-cosens-bay-road-na-wp_id93838636-lst

Skiing and golf galore in Kelowna/Vernon/Kamloops.

wheelerd
05-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Okanagan sounds like what you're looking for.
Warm lakes, proximity to lots of snow skiing -- Silver Star, Big White, etc.

G-Star
05-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Okanagan sounds like what you're looking for.
Warm lakes, proximity to lots of snow skiing -- Silver Star, Big White, etc.

I feel a bit biased, so I didn't want to say it... but I think you're right.

rtw_travel
05-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Sometimes stuff comes up on the south side of Cosens Bay on Kalamalka and doesn't show up properly on the MLS map. Just something to be aware of.

http://www.remax.ca/bc/vernon--british-columbia-real-estate/na-5909-cosens-bay-road-na-wp_id93838636-lst

Skiing and golf galore in Kelowna/Vernon/Kamloops.

Thanks. Now I realize there is one more criteria: not so many stairs!

G-Star
05-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks. Now I realize there is one more criteria: not so many stairs!

Yeah, there is some steep terrain on the south side. It's flatter in the Vernon bay, but waterfront prices increase modestly...
http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=14395342
http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=14360081

rtw_travel
05-31-2014, 12:57 AM
Yeah, there is some steep terrain on the south side. It's flatter in the Vernon bay, but waterfront prices increase modestly...
http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=14395342
http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=14360081

Whoa... That's modestly? :eek3: $1.5 or really under $1mm is what I'm hoping to spend. We're also happy building our own cabin on the right lot rather than paying someone else to have done it already.

hurricunning
05-31-2014, 02:19 AM
That steep Cabin lot is a few lots up the lake from ours and currently the only one for sale in the area. Up the lake a little farther is one other cabin development - Kal Park Estates. There are a few lots available there with their own different challenges. Other than the Cabin lots on this side of the lake you likely will not be on the water for much under a $mill and definitely won't have 100+ feet of lakeshore, unless it is a Condo or other Strata type development. My neighbour does have his rustic cabin available to rent for a couple of weeks in August this year. PM if anyone is interested. Cheers.

Nick911
05-31-2014, 09:04 AM
I know the area well and if you don't mind being a little further from the ski hill Shuswap Lake is a good choice too. Bit more of a "cabiny" feel and you'll get on water for under a million. Also puts your closer to Mount Revelstoke which is best skiing/boarding in area by farrrrr!

G-Star
05-31-2014, 12:36 PM
Whoa... That's modestly? :eek3: $1.5 or really under $1mm is what I'm hoping to spend. We're also happy building our own cabin on the right lot rather than paying someone else to have done it already.

OK... "Modestly" may have been a little bit tongue-in-cheek ;)

Good luck with your search.

giantjoe
05-31-2014, 08:55 PM
We went out to Pine Coulee today. Nice lake. It was pretty cold though. Water was surprisingly calm considering the wind.